DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Music for Wedding Trailer/Highlight Film (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/524306-music-wedding-trailer-highlight-film.html)

Jeff Cook July 29th, 2014 09:14 AM

Music for Wedding Trailer/Highlight Film

Hello everyone. I was curious what you guys do when selecting music for trailers. I have been sending my brides over to songfreedom.com or themusicbed.com and having them select their own music. I do this because for one, I do not want to have to pay for a song they do not like, 2nd it makes them feel a little special for being a part of the creative process. I however also understand that if you buy a song for a 5 uses you can save a lot of money. I think a single song on songfreedom is $50 and if you buy the song for 5 uses its something like $80. Do you guys buy in bulk or do you have your brides select the song? And if you do select the songs have you ever had to come out of pocket to replace a song they didn't like? Thanks for the advice in advance.

Robert Benda July 29th, 2014 09:55 AM

Re: Music for Wedding Trailer/Highlight Film

I don't let them choose the music, at all. I do buy mine with 5 uses at a time, because I often reuse them.... some are just so good. However, I'm making highlight films, running about 15 minutes, so I'm using several songs.

My main issue is, often I swap out the song a few times as I'm editing to better fit what is on the screen. Combine that with using several songs, and it's just not realistic to give that control to the client.

If someone complained (30 weddings so far, and no complaints), I'd be willing to swap out a song, but it's been smooth sailing so far. Similarly, I don't let clients choose the shots I use, but after they see the highlights, they can let me know if I missed something obvious.

Jeff Cook July 29th, 2014 11:49 AM

Robert thanks for your input. My trailers are only 3-4 minutes long that is why I gave them the chance to pick the song. But I think I will buy the 5 uses and save some serious money. Like you, I NEVER allow them to pick my shots. It is in my contract that I have total shot control.

Robert Benda July 29th, 2014 12:08 PM

Maybe you should limit them to a few choices of songs? Keep it manageable?

For the shot selection, I just meant that, since the music can add or subtract so much to your work, that you should also keep control of it. With the music, you set the tone and tell them how to feel about what is on screen. That's a lot of power to give up, for me.

Jeff Cook July 29th, 2014 03:41 PM

What I normally do is select a few songs and send them their way to pick from. But each song is $50 why not buy the 5 time use for $79 and save some money?

Malcolm Debono August 5th, 2014 04:35 AM

I always select songs for the trailers (till now I've always chosen songs that I hadn't previously used). I found that the music plays too much of an important role in the trailer to be picked by the couple - not saying that they won't be able to pick something nice, but they don't know what footage I have and what I have in mind, so they won't be able to pick up something that will fit the rest (after all the music is only there to help keep the content flowing).

Kyle Root August 5th, 2014 01:59 PM

Pick it myself. Also do the $79 deal on TMB.