Yet another Sony A7S Low Light Video - Wedding Party at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old August 17th, 2014, 02:14 PM   #1
Major Player

Yet another Sony A7S Low Light Video - Wedding Party

This time I've shot clips as high as 204800 but applied some NeatVideo.

Honestly - ISO 204800 with Neat Video outperforms my old Canon 550D (T2i) at ISO 1600.

Its insanely good.

Password: nightvision

Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2014, 02:53 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Yet another Sony A7S Low Light Video - Wedding Party

Fascinating! What lenses are you using?
Malcolm Debono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2014, 01:45 AM   #3
Major Player

Indoor shots were Canon 17-40 f4 L, Outside was Canon 35mm f2 IS
Old August 18th, 2014, 01:55 AM   #4
Trustee

I'm certainly impressed by much of what I see coming from the A7s in high ISO modes, though for me the body has no value until I can record 4K with it since I'm very happy with the C100 in low light and GH4 for 4K in good light. Once we have a viable option for 4K from a high ISO monster then things will change. If only Sony had added internal recording.

I shot a couple of interviews last week in 4K and the ability to zoom in post is most welcome!

So, the Sony ISO @ 50K, 100K & 200K even with Neat Video is pretty damn good and would be awesome in even low light corporate shoots!
Old August 18th, 2014, 02:31 AM   #5
Inner Circle

We should try and get a sub-forum for this camera as a lot of us seem to be using it - I shot an entire evening reception last night with my 24-105mm f4.0 and it pretty much damn near sees in the dark. I do have a rew issues I need to get to the bottom of - one is how the exposure can adjust as you turn recording on - seems to be a couple of stops but it may be my lens/adapter combo. I also have weird posterised flashes with some DJ lights.

All in all though I love this camera - has solved quite a few issues for me.
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2014, 03:33 AM   #6
Major Player

Peter, I used to take a light rig in the car with me to weddings just in case. I regularly would be in discussion with the band or venue about what the light levels were going to be. On a few occasions, lights were turned off without notice.

Now..... I don't give it a single thought!!! Bliss!

And yea, the dynamic range, EVF, zebras, and focus peaking are also very helpful!

So glad I splashed out!
Old August 18th, 2014, 11:18 AM   #7
Major Player

I am wondering if Sony just couldn't squeeze the 4K record capability into the body just so they could have it as compact body as possible . At least they should have offered an accessory option like a grip that accommodates a couple of batteries AND the 4k electronics in the grip to record 4K. That is the only reason I'm not buying into that camera. The shogun accessory is not only expensive but adds considerable size to the rig. No cigar this time.
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2014, 11:41 AM   #8
Inner Circle

4K for weddingvideography is only useful now for it's cropping abilities in a 1080p project, if you absolutely want that then yes, the a7s is an expensive camera if you combine it with the shogun and there are much cheaper options, a a7s you would get for it's full frame and lowlight capabilities, it's plenty sharp to be useful for another few years, even at "only" 1080p and especially for weddings.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2014, 01:14 PM   #9
Major Player

People keep talking about the price of the Shogun to get 4k. But surely the price of the combo is reflected in its superiority? You can't really compare the GH4 with the A7S plus Shogun. The quality is superior in many areas, and thats why it (rightly) costs more.

The setup however might make it more impractical for weddings, but not an issue for any other video work.
Old August 18th, 2014, 07:22 PM   #10
Major Player

Right. I like many others only do weddings and having to put up with the shogun in terms of size alone would negate any small size and weight advantage the A7s would have. If that shogun is mounted within the rig along with mic and batteries and controls then we are back to square 1 looking like robocops again and being as undescreet as possible. Shooting weddings does not allow the advantage of having lots of gear regardless of size and weight, compared to a commercial shoot or any other video work where almost everything is controllable and rig size is not a concern. GH4 has almost everything except FF and lolight, Sony has almost everything except 4k rec inside.
If only that AX1000 had the A7s sensor with interchangeable lens mount..........
Old August 27th, 2014, 08:40 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive McLaughlin View Post
This time I've shot clips as high as 204800 but applied some NeatVideo.

Honestly - ISO 204800 with Neat Video outperforms my old Canon 550D (T2i) at ISO 1600.

Its insanely good.
Which stabilizer were you using?
Michael Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2014, 12:44 AM   #12
Major Player

Its a Laing P-04. Pretty good value, but truth be told - I'd recommend a Glidecam instead. I had issues with Laing. They did however send me a new gimbal which seems to have it working better now.

I'm hoping to see some 3-axis calibrated stabilisers come down in price enough to have a look at though.
Old August 28th, 2014, 05:44 AM   #13
Major Player

Well then, does anyone make a small 4K recorder without the monitor, like a small tethered SSD the size of a cigarette pack that either is screwed onto the bottom of the A7s or is velcroed to a shoulder rig, ?
What other compact options for 4K rec are there at this time ?
I am itching to purchase the A7s but this issue is delaying it.
Old August 28th, 2014, 09:40 AM   #14
Major Player

You have a dead pixel near the center down a little to the right. You can forward the clock one month for it to remap, A7s does it automatic every month. On another topic, I also have problem with certain DJ LED lights giving bad artifacts, anybody seen it yet?
Old August 28th, 2014, 11:36 AM   #15
Major Player

Sorry if this is a bit OT, but does anyone have any insight or feedback in comparing the Sony FS100 w/ the A7s?

Looking to possibly get one of the two, and just prefer the videocam body & not the DSLR. Just total comfort & preference, not knocking it. I'm a bit old school I suppose.
David Barnett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR