Can we talk about the color grading trends for those shooting with the Canon C100? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 19th, 2014, 08:24 PM   #1
New Boot

Can we talk about the color grading trends for those shooting with the Canon C100?

To me, it seems as though the majority of C100 users are shooting on Wide DR or C-log and add only a slight bit of contrast, if any at all, to the image.

Now, maybe I just have horrible taste, but I don't really find these images to be that appealing. I don't like overly punchy, over saturated images either, but I enjoy a nice S-curve and vibrant colors. I do enjoy the dynamic range and being able to see detail in the shadows as well, mind you, but to me it just feels like there needs to be some contrast for the image to pop.

What is everyone else's opinion on this? I'm open to admitting that I may be wrong, as I know it's much better to have as many eyes as possible on something like this that can be somewhat subjective.

Thanks!
Michael Eggerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2014, 08:54 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Can we talk about the color grading trends for those shooting with the Canon C100

Hey Michael & all,

I'm a happy C100 owner and also am sensitive to the same thing you point out. (Although the dynamic range is wonderful to shoot with, I think the trend has gone a bit too far in the *finished* product.)

I'd love your honest opinion on whether you see that in my recent samples (Wide DR but graded in Looks) below. Does it have too much of that Wide DR look or does the final grading foot the bill?

Don't include the image/cover splashes in your appraisal: they're muted on purpose.

Old August 19th, 2014, 11:35 PM   #3
New Boot

Re: Can we talk about the color grading trends for those shooting with the Canon C100

Hi Tim,

I wouldn't say your images have too much of what I'm talking about. And I should also mention, I actually really enjoy the wide dr look right out of the camera when the lighting is ideal (such as some of your prep shots with pretty natural light coming in through the window). It's when the lighting is already flat as is that it mainly creates the look I dread! I think I may have seen a few shots that I personally might have made "pop" a bit more, but like I said, that's because I tend to gravitate more towards vibrant, moderately punchy images (think Ray Roman, or Stillmotion from a few years ago). Sometimes flat/washed out is needed for certain looks (as the guy from color grading central calls it, "the hipster look"), and I definitely get that a lot of people like it that way. Would love to hear what everyone else thinks though as well!
Michael Eggerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2014, 08:14 AM   #4
Major Player

Very helpful, Michael, to have another's perspective on this. Thank you.

We certainly all work within trends to some degree (or at least most of us do). I try to beware of getting too caught up in any new "look" but often it takes 5 years of future perspective (that we can't have now) to look back and evaluate more objectively how much we got caught in trendy look.
Old August 20th, 2014, 10:25 AM   #5
Major Player

I find that the Wide DR gives me the best starting point for my color correction. I also seem to find myself leaning slowly toward less contrast. I guess I had my fill working with higher contrast DSLR footage over the years now hate when I can't see detail in the shadows. I also see a lot more commercial work going that way ( ha- hipster look). I started using a waveform scope when I'm shooting and in post and try to keep everything a notch above zero.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 04:12 PM   #6
Major Player

I use WDR and I only correct if my white balance is a bit out. If the white balance and exposure are spot on then I like the look. That's not always possible due to mixed and changeable lighting etc. It also depends how much the couple are paying for the video. I have variable prices and only colour grade the trailers on my most expensive packs. The others don't pay enough to do a grade as well.
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques