Samsung"s NX-1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 16th, 2014, 05:51 PM   #1
Major Player

Samsung"s NX-1

The game changer ? perhaps
[Samsung SMART CAMERA NX1] Official Introduction - YouTube
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2014, 03:40 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Samsung"s NX-1

Well at least the promo reel linked in the industry news forum thread looks promising.

The AX100 has been proving to be a good performer if used properly. The latest firmware on the RX10 brings the 1080P quite a bit closer to 4K looking resolution... and I still hold out for a 3.0 firmware with 4K for that camera.

4K is here, albeit still bleeding edge tech, and it certainly looks good and has some advantages. Don't know that it's a "game changer" when people are barely watching HD and BR content, but when the new 4K BR spec players hit the market (hopefully at "consumer" prices, not high premiums!), it may change viewing expectations and habits...

I know the people I've shown 4K footage on a 4K monitor, WANT it... and "low resolution" has lost all interest for me... I'd rather work with higher resolution for content creation. Very much reminds me of the first time I looked at HDV clips next to ol' SD... it alters your expectations!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2014, 08:58 AM   #3
Major Player

HD will soon be behind the 8 ball when 4K starts becoming mainstream. Already 4K large screens are affordable here and many stores have them in stock for immediate delivery. I remember when SD was replaced with HD widescreen and that took off exponentially and back then I was taking contracts to deliver weddings on widescreen 16:9 on DVD's. Many of my competitors still were editing and delivering in SD. I pre sold wedding packages with the promise to deliver in DVD discs when the DVD recorder was announced ( Panasonic's DMR-E20). I made a bundle calling clients that had their wedding on VHS converted to DVD.So far I have booked 14 weddings for 2015 season to be shot and archived in 4K to be delivered on BluRay HD. I will soon be calling on the other clients to offer them 4K upgrade special pricing before their wedding is up. Shooting and archiving the edit project in 4K is becoming very affordable as storage is like less than $15 per job.
Old September 17th, 2014, 12:45 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Looks awesome, but 4K at 24fps only? Or did I misread the specs? Looks amazing otherwise.
Old September 17th, 2014, 03:04 PM   #5
Inner Circle

@ Jeff - well... the specs say:

4K Video Recording at 24 fps
UHD Video Recording at 30 fps

Which made me go look up the difference - interesting... there's a bit of a difference, but I'd suspect that what is being marketed as "4K" is actually "UHD"... at least all the "4K" stuff I've bought is apparently about 300 pixels short in one dimension, though it still seems to look plenty AMAZING, so I don't suppose it's worth worrying about!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2014, 06:40 PM   #6
Major Player

I would like to see the low light performance since it has the backlit sensor design. 28 MP sensor should be mighty good for the photo side of things.
Old September 18th, 2014, 06:58 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Thanks Dave, wondered what the heck UHD was.

Edit, here's a link to a CNET article about UHD vs 4k. Apparently UHD is catch-all term but in general is referring to 4K.

http://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-4k-...ped_fragment_=
Old September 18th, 2014, 07:19 AM   #8
Inner Circle

just checked 3840x 2160 are the dimensions of my video clips from my AX100, apparently not true 4K. A bit of a disappointment, but as you say not a huge deal.

According to the chart at CNET what I am shooting in is Quad HD. Interesting.
Old September 18th, 2014, 08:43 AM   #9
Trustee

4k, for me, is about being able to crop in post, and for weddings, would be amazing for an aisle camera.

Mostly, I want more dynamic range, and better info/detail (10 bit or more), and better low light, too, before I'll buy another camera, let alone a new lens mount.

I will admit that 15fps photo shooting would be pretty cool.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques