First Wedding - advice for a solo shooter? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 7th, 2014, 02:24 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: First Wedding - advice for a solo shooter?

I cheat Mitch - If I'm using a tripod and stood at the front, I pre-focus on the groom and frame him so that you can see the bride come into focus as she walks up to him - then I follow her all the way down the Isle with my CX730 on autofocus - job done!

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2014, 04:55 AM   #32
New Boot

Nice one Peter. Starting to think I should've got a 70D instead of a 6D. That touch screen AF works so smoothly for a DSLR!
Mitch Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2014, 05:56 AM   #33
Major Player

One method is not to bother tracking. Ie: preset the focus at a certain point, then just let her walk into then out of focus

I'd say try it but don't rely on it. Its a tried and tested technique in stills for scenarios where it may be too dark to focus reliably and / or the subjects may be moving quickly or unpredictably such as in the processional or recessional. The problem is that the depth of field is so narrow at the f-stop you need to use in low light that your subject is only actually in focus for a nano-second. Not so noticeable for video as it is for stills but a trap none-the-less.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2014, 06:09 AM   #34
Trustee

I just solo shot my first 3 camera ceremony,

For focus, I have two cameras already set and focused on the front area (the groom). One from the back (85mm on full frame - wide shot), and the other from the same side the bride will be on (135mm on 70D, 3 shot of the groom). Then, I'm crouched at the head of the aisle and have a 70D so I can track everyone down with a 35mm equivalent.

For audio, I did a wireless on the pastor, fed to my aisle camera; a pocket recorder on the groom, and another pocket recorder stashed where the readings took place.

Robert Benda is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques