New Equipment at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 20th, 2014, 11:56 AM   #1
Tourist

New Equipment

Hi Guys,

I need to upgrade some of my equipment, mainly my camera.
I have a budget of around €2000 and am looking at the Canon XF105.

I just wanted to get your thoughts on the camera for filming weddings and if you think there is anything better out there for around the same price.

Thanks

Mike
Mike Nulty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2014, 05:03 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: New Equipment

Perhaps the Sony AX100 that also does 4K ???
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2014, 09:36 PM   #3
Major Player

If you don't need the timecode and SDI, the XF100 is cheaper than the 105 and has the same picture. I've owned and enjoyed the XF100 since May 2011, but am now looking to upgrade. I'm looking closely at the just-released X70 that is based on the AX100/CX900. It has a better codec than the AX100, but includes all the picture controls I've used on my XF100. Compared to the XF100 the X70 has a longer zoom, slightly better low light, a larger sensor, etc. It should be sharper than the XF100, and is slightly cheaper. The XF100 will never have 4K, but the X70 will have an optional upgrade to that in the next few months.

Just sayin' it's worth a look.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2014, 09:40 AM   #4
Major Player

4K is where it's happening. I am looking seriously in the new Samsung NX-1 , especially if the BSI sensor does great with low light and for the fact that it has the H265 codec.. But if you need the video cam look rather than DSLR, then there is a lot to choose from, especially if 4K is not your priority.
I've bagged 14 clients already for 4K next year. If it is affordable, why not ?
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2014, 01:14 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Nulty View Post
Hi Guys,

I need to upgrade some of my equipment, mainly my camera.
I have a budget of around €2000 and am looking at the Canon XF105.

I just wanted to get your thoughts on the camera for filming weddings and if you think there is anything better out there for around the same price.

Thanks

Mike
I'm about to retire from the wedding scene and sell 'some' of my gear, including my 3 XF100s.

Honestly, these are great cameras and just work out of the box. They've never given me a moment's concern and honestly I'll be very sad to see them go. I'd recommend then as a great camera to anyone.

Are there alternatives? Sure, there always were, but the XF100s have served me very well.
Old September 22nd, 2014, 02:30 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Gannis View Post
4K is where it's happening. I am looking seriously in the new Samsung NX-1 , especially if the BSI sensor does great with low light and for the fact that it has the H265 codec.. But if you need the video cam look rather than DSLR, then there is a lot to choose from, especially if 4K is not your priority.
I've bagged 14 clients already for 4K next year. If it is affordable, why not ?
That's awesome, may I ask what you're quoting your 4k clients at for price? If you're in Jersey I'd imagine you can snag a lot of NYC money.
Christian Nachtrieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2014, 05:14 PM   #7
Major Player

I really don't charge much at all, rather affordable for my area. I have a steady flow of clients, mostly referrals that I am affordable and delivers quickly. There are many that charge much more but they do a lot less jobs. In the end, they actually make less on the bottom line as extra work editing means extra hours spent which also means that the clients tend to be more picky as they pay more. My average wedding is like in the $1300 to 1500 range which includes very little editing on my part. This also means my clients have minimal expectations. Like they won't expect a movie with all the jazzy stuff, sliders, bokeh and all that time consuming adjustments. I offer 4K BluRay upgrade for only $350 more that includes 3 regular HD BluRay copies as well as a 4K BluRay master. Whenever the 4K player becomes available, at least they have the content for it. Seeing that the 4k cameras are readily available and affordable, I started offering that and seems everyone is interested in getting it. My competitors charge way more without 4K. I still edit my HD in iMovie 6 believe it or not but I will change that soon to a faster MacPro and software to match. My shooting and editing style will remain the same though. Sure, I can snag more money from the NY clients but the travel over the river to NY and the parking headaches along with having to do a more complete editing job which takes up more time and effort is not for me.
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques