Sacry Cow!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 28th, 2014, 05:08 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Sacry Cow!!!

...thought that would would attract your attention

So I arrived at a farm yesterday to film the groom and ushers setting off for the church on the back of a tractor when I found myself separated from them while closing a gate. Turned out I was not alone - have a look! apologies for the poor framing but I was not looking down the VF - my eyes were elsewhere!

Have you ever been in a life threatening situation on a wedding shoot?

password: cow

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2014, 05:29 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Sacry Cow!!!

Hey Pete

That's a harmless old cow not a bull .... if there were no udders brim full with milk and a big ring thru his nose THEN you could be running ... pretty fast and over the wall/fence/gate!!

From the video it looks like she was more afraid of you than the other way around. Then again she was somewhat bigger than you too so even if she ran you over in terror I would like to have been in that situation.

We were doing a video shoot at a wedding venue with a golf course and the driver of the golf carts stopped to allow two guys to tee off. I was in the first cart facing backwards so I could film the bride's cart when her windscreen just shattered! the golfer sliced the ball at a good 45 degrees and all I heard was a "wiz" and "crack" ... between my head and the bride's head in the following cart must have been no more than around 2 or 3 metres....if the slice angle had changed ever so slightly either her or I would had had that ball hit the side of our head .. and I assume a pretty much instant death!

They changed the access areas for carts after that at the venue

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2014, 05:50 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Actually the farmer shouting 'stay still - don't move - she's threatening you now!' lent me to believe it was pretty dangerous - he said it had a newborn at the other end of the field and was going into defensive mode! - that pawing of the ground looks like an animal about to charge to me!
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2014, 06:01 AM   #4
Major Player

Absolutely Peter! cows kill several people each year, glad you escaped.
Perhaps you should have stayed on the Udder side of the fence lol
Old September 28th, 2014, 06:47 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Pete

My apologies! I didn't know she had a calf or the farmer was yelling at you! Yep they are very protective of their young so you certainly wouldn't want a 500kg cow charging you !! I was wondering why she pawed the ground ? normally only bulls do that!

The main thing is you got out unscathed!!

Chris
Old September 28th, 2014, 07:12 AM   #6
Trustee

I would of bottled it too ... I don't care if it's not a bull. I certainly wouldn't want to be charged at by an animal of that size!!! especially with my expensive gear as well!! Glad you escaped :-)
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2014, 08:34 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I hate to be mean to my mate Peter but if only I was a second shooter there, maybe sitting on the gate and filming Pete and the cow ...that would have made my day!!

Sorry Pete but you must admit that would have been fun footage to watch .... might even win a prize at Funniest Home Videos????
Old September 28th, 2014, 08:46 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Jeez, that's just a silly old cow, search on youtube for Pamplona and see what real men are made of.
But to be honest, I would not have listened to the farmer and run straight to the fence :D
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2014, 09:28 AM   #9
Equal Opportunity Offender

Re: Scary Cow!!!

I feel slightly cheesed off (forgive the pun). Judging by the subject line I thought you must have had video of a truly horribly behaving bride or something. Only it was a real cow! LOL.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques