Olympus recorders dying - need replacements - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 22nd, 2014, 11:19 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Olympus recorders dying - need replacements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
I find the Zoom bulky and have complained about it before, but I gave up complaining and the truth is it works almost every time.
Zoom should make an H1 without the XY mic just for those that like to use it simply with their own lav mics. That would eliminate the bulbous part that makes it too bulky in the groom's jacket pocket.
D.R. Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2014, 04:24 AM   #17
Major Player

Somewhere on the net I saw a video or article on removing the top of the H1 permanently. Can't find it right now but this article shows the removal of the mics and that could get you pretty much to the same place:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Zoom+H1...lacement/19991

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2014, 06:11 AM   #18
Inner Circle

I bought 2 of these to try

Sony ICDUX533B UX Series 4GB Voice Recorder - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Office Products

They are really slim, record WAV as well as mp3 and remember your settings when you change batteries - my old Olympus WM311 recorders used to rest themselves at each battery change that was a small but annoying pain

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2014, 04:08 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
I bought 2 of these to try

Sony ICDUX533B UX Series 4GB Voice Recorder - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Office Products

They are really slim, record WAV as well as mp3 and remember your settings when you change batteries - my old Olympus WM311 recorders used to rest themselves at each battery change that was a small but annoying pain

Pete
Do these definitely record wav files, as a couple of reviews say that it records mp3 only. The spec on the link says records in mp3 and plays back mp3, wmv and wav files.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2014, 08:39 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Riding View Post
I saw a video or article on removing the top of the H1 permanently.
I don't think so. There are many slimmer choices.
Old November 24th, 2014, 04:06 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R. Gates View Post
I don't think so. There are many slimmer choices.
The problem though is that it seems to come at the price of functionality. For example with the H1's you have proper manual control of levels, a very effective auto-levels function if you need it, high rate recording options should you need that for heavy duty editing, a low-pass filter just one switch away, and a female 1/4"x20 socket on the back for easy mounting.

I got one of the small Olympus models but I find I keep it just for emergencies such as strapping it to a venue mic. The H1's are borderline for pocket use for sure but I might try the mic / upper housing removal trick if I damage one of my 4. But my preferred route is a Sennheiser G3 transmitter, its small slim and looks the part. I haven't had any interference problems with any of my 3 kits but my main region does not have many hotspots where you might expect multiple users at work. I never need to scan for available frequencies, I simply have each set to a permanent different frequency.

I reckon that everyone should have just one Senny kit to use with the groom. Much of the rest of the time you can get away with hiding H1's or suchlike in nearby flowers or on tabletops etc but so often there is no suitable place in a church other than on the groom. Near new 2nd hand kits go for around £400 on Ebay and often they are unused having been bought by people who thought they would use them but never got around to it; no point in paying full retail price.

Pete
Old November 24th, 2014, 09:07 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel View Post
Do these definitely record wav files, as a couple of reviews say that it records mp3 only. The spec on the link says records in mp3 and plays back mp3, wmv and wav files.

Roger
It records LPCM 44.1khz 16bits in WAV format

Having said they're great I've had one stop mid recording even with the hold button enabled - I assumed it was my fault for not recharging the battery but it still had a half charge!
Attached Thumbnails
Olympus recorders dying - need replacements-20141124_150456.jpg  
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 09:29 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
The problem though is that it seems to come at the price of functionality. For example with the H1's you have proper manual control of levels, a very effective auto-levels function if you need it, high rate recording options should you need that for heavy duty editing, a low-pass filter just one switch away, and a female 1/4"x20 socket on the back for easy mounting.
Pete
I had to stop using the ALC on the H1 because of the 3db jumps during quiet moments. When the speaker would pause for a few seconds and then start speaking the ALC would increase and then drop by at least 3db at a time, very noticeable. All my Yamaha's have very good, smooth ALC.
Old November 24th, 2014, 12:31 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Tim- I find the same problem with the H1 Alc, it drops considerably on any sudden boise or thump, but seems to take a while to come back to full volume. There is no way to shorten the release time or db drop, so I usually ignore the Alc.

Pete- well that's quite clear that it records wav, but a bit of a concen over the stopping while recording.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 09:19 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
Having said they're great, I've had one stop mid recording even with the hold button enabled - I assumed it was my fault for not recharging the battery but it still had a half charge!
I gave up on rechargeable batteries a long time ago, at least for weddings. Too quirky. I always use a fresh battery per recorder at each wedding. They're cheap enough and we're getting paid enough.
Old November 24th, 2014, 09:26 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
I reckon that everyone should have just one Senny kit to use with the groom.
Pete
The Sennheiser G3 have a great reputation. But I ditched wireless mics in favor of recorders a while back. Probably going on 8 years now. The hassles dealing with possible interference and mild to heavy static were the deal breaker for me. It's just not worth it. I Started with MiniDisc, then iRivers, and now Olympus. The units I'm using allow a high quality WAV file and the ability to manually adjust the recording level. They're thinner than the iRivers and half as think as the H1.
Old November 25th, 2014, 02:40 AM   #27
Major Player

Yes the auto-levels on the H1's can be testing for sure. I find its best when there is always some ambient sound going on, but for situation where there are complete silences of several seconds at a time .... more problematic and maybe have to cut between tracks. Attached to a lectern just for a reading or on a table in front of a wedding breakfast speechmaker ..... great. With a lav on a person, manual levels at around 85%.

I hadn't read of the Yam's being smoother but surely that must be at some cost.

DRG - funny how our experiences differ. I use nothing but rechargeables - but I do use good brands, mostly Eneloops and regularly give them a full recondition using a bank of 4 Maha MH-C9000's:

Maha MH-C9000 Wizard One Fast Smart Charger for AA: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I have to be into heavy duty AA management anyway because of using multiple cells for numerous flashguns and their battery packs.

The Senny G3's are a long way ahead of the G2's and G1's, plus the usable frequencies are now more defined and regulated - in the UK at least - so they may be worth another look at. I find the G3's particularly valuable if I'm taking a feed off the DJs deck for the dancing as I can adjust the levels on the fly rather than have to go back to a recorders location.

Pete
Old November 25th, 2014, 03:10 AM   #28
Regular Crew

I use plenty of rechargeables for non-wedding stuff (flashlights mostly). I just feel better about using a nice, fresh new battery with the audio recorders.
Old March 18th, 2015, 06:58 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Peter - does the Sony recorder give you any trouble with drifting during editing since it only records WAV at 44.1khz and not 48khz? Or do you record using an MP3 setting?

DR Gates - How has your experience been with the Olympus DM620? Any editing problems like audio drift?

Trying to choose between the two recorders cause I have to buy two or three and I want them all to be the same model. Currently using three different models and I always run into trouble trying to remember record setup with each unit, usually quick run and gun at weddings where managing time is very valuable.
Thanks
Michael Kirinovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2015, 02:23 PM   #30
Inner Circle

All of these recorders can drift slightly in relation to the video on long sequences such as a ceremony. That's not a problem if you are using more than one camera though, as the video clips can be edited to the continuous audio track. I use Magix Video ProX and can synch any clip to the audio very easily. You should also be able to use Pluraleyes to do the same thing. If each clip is ony a few minutes long, slippage won't really be a problem.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques