gopro 4 with 3 axis stabilisers - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 15th, 2014, 02:53 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: gopro 4 with 3 axis stabilisers

It's fascinating hearing everyone getting excited about portable, as I have been working small and portable out of one bag for years. I carry two video cams and a GoPro 3, a tripod with a double camera mount and a selection of mini tripods, clamps etc. I also have a 132 led light and a couple of voice recorders tucked in the bag. For the photo and video package, I have another small bag with my Canon dslr and Lumix FZ200 although I will shortly be getting a FZ1000 to replace a video camera and one FZ200.

I'll be following the 3 axis stabiliser with interest as it is just the sort of thing I can see using a lot.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 03:18 AM   #17
Inner Circle

What double tripod mount do you use Roger? surely your wide shot isn't a safety shot though as when you move your head for pan or tilt then both cameras move. I use my safety shot camera to mask my moves :/
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 04:43 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Hi Pete,

I use a double tripod plate with a videocam and dslr so that I can take stills of anything I am pointing the main camera at during the day. It's very easy to whip the stills camera off the tripod if I want to hand hold it, while leaving the video at a different angle. I also use a clamp mount on the central shaft of the tripod just under the tripod head, with another video cam. That means I can keep it on a wide angle without it being affected by the pan and tilt of the tripod head. As I maintain a fixed position during the ceremony, that's not a problem, and it's useful for the speeches.

Given the space of course, I would usually clamp the second video cam on the opposite side of the couple for a totally different angle, and also mount the GoPro as a safety shot. I try to avoid extra tripods and stands as much as possible, as clamps are so much easier to attach to something, take no space and are quick and easy to chuck in the bag with camera attached when you are on your own. It also means that breakdown time takes seconds.

I like to be very mobile while still having multi camera options with fast setup and breakdown, another reason why the 3axis GoPro mount looks like it could be a useful addition.

Roger
Old October 15th, 2014, 04:57 AM   #19
Inner Circle

More of these handheld stabilisers start to appear, JOBO has the GYROpod MD-1 for camera's up to 750gr and a smaller version, the sp1 for smartphones, both are 2 axis stabilised, If you look on vimeo (by clicking on the title of the video) for the reactions you can see it is not positive, not sure it is a user error.

Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 05:05 AM   #20
Inner Circle

I think a lot of companies are going to be jumping on the bandwagon with these hand held stabilsers. I have a 2 axis gimbal on my quadcopter that I was going to try to mount as a handheld stabilser. You can also buy the 2 axis gimbals now for under £60 that should be easy to adapt.

My thoughts were also to have one permanently clamped to my main tripod on the shaft with a goPro, so that I had an immediate steady cam that I could switch on and off at any time I wanted.

Roger
Old October 16th, 2014, 02:11 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Just got the confirmation that delivery will be tomorrow, only 4 days to get to my door, that's fast. What was new though is that DHL send me a text message that they can't deliver until I paid import duties which was easy to do as they give you a trackingnr and password and a link to their website where you can pay directly with visa. I had to pay 21 euro.
The gopro 4 black is expected to arrive in Belgium first week of November.
Old October 16th, 2014, 02:49 AM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
What double tripod mount do you use Roger? surely your wide shot isn't a safety shot though as when you move your head for pan or tilt then both cameras move. I use my safety shot camera to mask my moves :/
Here's something I occasionally use: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5407-REG/Manfrotto_3153B_3153B_Double_Head_Support.html
Mounts two fluid heads on top of a bar on top of the tripod, so you can pan each one independently.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2014, 03:58 AM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Tan View Post
Here's something I occasionally use: Manfrotto 131DDB Replacement for Manfrotto 3153B | B&H Photo

Mounts two fluid heads on top of a bar on top of the tripod, so you can pan each one independently.
Don't you get any camera wobble vibration on the wide just by panning the other one? None at all?
Old October 16th, 2014, 04:08 AM   #24
Trustee

Not that I've noticed, but you've made me worried now! I'll do a test and post a video. I've never panned it aggressively or anything like that.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2014, 04:23 AM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Tan View Post
Not that I've noticed, but you've made me worried now! I'll do a test and post a video. I've never panned it aggressively or anything like that.
A picture would be good too....

Also, what kind of tripod do you have this mounted on? It's got me thinking about a couple of jobs I have coming up in tight spaces, but I'm concerned the regular tripod I use may not be up to the task of not twisting.
Old October 16th, 2014, 04:39 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Not that I don't find this interesting but might be good to start a separate topic for this and keep the focus on handheld 2 or 3 axis stabilisers.
Old October 16th, 2014, 05:57 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Just took your advice Noa and started a new thread here http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...ml#post1865073

Roger
Old October 16th, 2014, 08:38 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Hey Noa

Is there a huge advantage using a 3 axis unit as opposed to a 2 axis one .... They are a lot cheaper but would ones video suffer a bit compared to using a stedicam ... Gosh I like the idea of being able to pick up a rig with just one hand and do a shoot!!

Chris

Roger? I was also looking as an FZ1000 .. I was wondering if it could cut in in low light reception venues ??
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2014, 08:48 AM   #29
Inner Circle

I have no idea what I will be getting into, the stabiliser will be arriving tomorrow but I will have to wait at least 3 weeks before I can put it to use, will be doing enough "fun" stuff before I would take it to a wedding, maybe I"ll attach a mattebox to it so it doesn't look so ridiculous :)
Old October 16th, 2014, 08:56 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Hi Chris,

That"s a good question, and the answer is I don't know. With a much larger sensor and better optics than my current cameras, it should be an improvement on what I achieve now, although that is pretty good anyway. the current internet wisdom seems to be that it is on a par with the Sony RX10, although the Sony has the edge on maximum telephoto range light handling. The Lumix will also use higher iso than I can currently use before graining is noticeable, so for me I can't see it be anything other than a move forward at a great price, both for video and stills convenience.

As I already have a couple of Lumix FZ200 cams that I am very happy with and I have always had great reliability with Panasonic gear, it seems a logical step.

Oh dear, another diversion from the 3 axis gimbal, sorry folks :-(

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques