DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   lensstabilisation (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/525467-lensstabilisation.html)

Noa Put October 21st, 2014 01:54 AM

lensstabilisation

I have been eyeballing the Nocticron 42,5mm f1.2 for a while as it is for sure the ultimate m4/3 lens, it's a rare lens because it's the only very fast prime I know that has build in stabilisation which means shooting handheld becomes a possibility but ouch, that price, 1500 euro, the same as what you pay for a gh4 body.

Then I see on amazon uk Olympus offers a 200 euro cashback on their lenses if you buy a omd-em1 with it, the em1 also sells at a reduced price, it's launch price for the body only was 1500 euro, now you can get it for 1200 euro, if you buy it with a 500 euro lens and deduct the cashback you also pay 1500 euro and get a camera that can balance every lens that has no build in stabilisation, including the Olympus M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 which is a lot cheaper then the nocticron, not as good optically but I doubt for video many would see the difference, and possibly the image stabilisation will be better when the em1's 5 axis stabilisation is active.

But then again I"m thinking, not another camerabody... as I already have too many. :)

If there is one thing I hate is camera vibrations and I have to use the build in stabiliser in Edius more then I want to, it does work well at times but often introduces a weird wobble in the image, it only works well when the camera almost doesn't move to take out microshakes.

I know I have posted about this before but I keep getting frustrated when I"m editing as I balance the footage from my camera's and that I"m only able to shoot with my primes on a tripod, even my rx10 and ax100 suffer from this microshake problem, only my cx730 is from a different level, I could shoot stable footage handholding it while standing on one leg with my eyes closed and while juggling a plate with my other free hand.

Maybe I just should get that omd-em1 and be done with it. :)

Dave Partington October 21st, 2014 03:05 AM

Re: lensstabilisation

By coincidence Noa, I've been looking at the EM1 for exactly the same reasons - IBIS, though I have to admit it's been for photo only. Olympus only offering 30p for video is a bit of a pain. Maybe if they update that to include 25p then I'd be interested in that side of things.

I've also been looking at the Nocti, because f1.2 sharp wide open gives great light gathering with the (35mm) equivalent of DOF of about f2.5. That will do nicely.

The Oly 45 is also said to be sharp in the middle but not so sharp at the edges, but boy it's a lot cheaper and small! I've seen them side by side at my local shop (I'm amazed they have both in stock!) and the difference is huge.

One of these days I'm going to have to go in and try them all (currently using GH4).

I'm seriously considering selling my last 5D3!

Nigel Barker October 21st, 2014 08:39 AM

Re: lensstabilisation

IBIS on the OM-D is better than having IS on the lens. At least from the tests that I have done with Panasonic MFT lenses that have an ON/OFF switch for the IS.

I have never used the OM-D E-M1 but understand that the video quality is improved over that of the E-M5. It does have other advantages too like WiFi connectivity for remote control which amongst other things helps work around the 30 minute limit for unattended cameras. It has a better shaped body so it's not necessary to buy the almost totally useless battery grip just to be able to hand hold the camera properly.

The solution to the 30p problem is either not worry about it & let the NLE sort it out or do as I did with my last two weddings just shoot all 30p (2xOM-D & a GoPro HD Hero 3+).