Odd...But Useful Gear - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 25th, 2014, 08:55 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: Odd...But Useful Gear

Let's not forget the humble rubber band for removing stuck filters etc.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2014, 09:50 AM   #17
Major Player

carabiners. LOTS of carabiners.
a small bag of misc adapters of all sorts and sizes (audio, video, etc) lives in my car
also a small bag of misc/emergency cables/power adapters lives there too
roll of twist ties for cheap, disposable cable management
hockey/electrical/gaffers tape

probably best thing i ever did was cover everything in color coded hockey or electrical tape (not totally), usually right over the logos/model info, carry straps, legs etc. yellow is all nikon gear (cams/lenses), red is power (used to be color for canon gear), blue is video, green is audio, white is lighting.

if you have someone new/unfamiliar helping its much easier, and if you have others with similar gear, you can easily identify who's is who's, and keeps scuffs/scratches at bay.

i do the same with gear bags or pelican cases so i know whats in there. its also helped tremendously in travelling; everyone has the same generic looking black luggage; mine have colored hockey tape.
Panagiotis Raris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2014, 01:54 PM   #18
Major Player

Don' t forget the condom for the mic on a rainy day.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2014, 03:37 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Mizomi View Post
+1 for carabiners from REI, (I prefer the Black Diamond brand) more variety and way stronger than the cheapo ones you find at Home Depot or Lowes.

A while back I wrote a blogpost about a shoulder strap alternative I found at Home Depot for my Canon XA10. This also works with the Sony PXW-X70 or any other small camera that has a top handle.

Mizomi Photography: DIY Spider Holster alternative for the Canon XA-10 camcorder
Funny that someone else found that same "holster" (used to be sold as the "bigg lugg" or something like that!). I've used the belt/pants clip as a support for a monopod, a handy configuration when a tripod is not an option - similar to some other "support rigs", but super cheap. Stick the camera on the monopod, extend the thing to fit into that little "cup" on the belt clip, gives you an extra support so your arm doesn't get so tired, and a bit more stable "shooting platform".
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2014, 11:48 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Have you ever had a hard time getting a ring shot where you wanted to roll the groom's ring into the shot, but you couldn't aim the ring just right?

Try ripping the white plastic compartment out from a Pez candy dispenser. Cut off one end and you have a little chute to aim that ring perfectly. Or you could fold one up real fast if you have an index card or something similar.
Alec Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2014, 10:26 AM   #21
Trustee

Bicycle locks. Two of them with 10 foot steel cables and a master lock built on to the ends. If I have to walk away from a live set the cables get woven through every case or piece of gear with a hole in it. Cameras, tripods, pelicans, etc, etc. With twenty feet of cable everything becomes chained together so nothing grows legs.

Bought them used on e-bay for cheap.

Steve
Old October 31st, 2014, 10:32 AM   #22
Major Player

paracord. type 1 & type 3. tie things up! make safety lines, shoelaces, belt, hang gear off your bag/belt/etc...make a pulley...

i like cord, cord is great stuff :)
Old October 31st, 2014, 10:45 AM   #23
Trustee

Wooden clothes pins. Known as C47s on set.

Steve
Old November 15th, 2014, 11:10 PM   #24
Trustee

I recently bought a roll of Velcro for cable management. Don't know why I didn't do it years ago.

In the car, we carry a "bridal repair kit" -- a little plastic box with safety pins, and a small pair of scissors and other odds and ends. Haven't actually used it yet, at least not on brides, but put it together after a few weddings where brides asked if we happened to have this sort of stuff.

Handkerchiefs for quickly drying wet camera bodies. Plastic supermarket bags to use as camera rain jackets.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques