Video file recovery - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 27th, 2014, 04:20 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Video file recovery

Just want to check something... have you tried playing them back on another computer?

If they work in VLC (video at least) then you can use the convert/stream option to output them to another format. Often with MOV files if there is damage to the headers prep and quicktime will refuse to play them. However, VLC is a lot more laid back and will give it a go. Using the convert option will make it into a new, working format that you can at least work with.

I take it you dont have backups ;)
Old October 27th, 2014, 04:44 AM   #17
Major Player

I'm a little confused (not difficult!) - you mention you lost them from your desktop computer and later on you mention you recovered them from the SD card - were they corrupted on both the SD card and the computer?
Old October 27th, 2014, 08:38 AM   #18
Trustee

Ha sorry David. No i downloaded all the footage as normal then when i finished the film i needed to make 7 changes to the DVD. Opened my prem pro back up did the changes and for some reason the computer crashed and forced a shut down.
Then when i opened the project back up to burn the final DVD all the media was in red on the timeline and offline and vanished so i checked the source media and the whole folder had vanished somewhere god knows from my external drive.
So i don't usually format my SD cards till everything is good but on this occasion i kept all the footage on the cards except one bloody great big 64 gig SD card and that is the one i have tried to recover from the program you said which has nearly worked as i can see the footage but the sound is distorted and when i bring into import to prem pro it is sometimes green video and a little distorted and prem pro freezes...Steve and thanks guys for helping...
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2014, 08:45 AM   #19
Major Player

What is the actual codec of the camera file on the SD card?
Old October 27th, 2014, 08:52 AM   #20
Trustee

David its MOV files from canon eos 6D.
Old October 27th, 2014, 08:57 AM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny O'Neill View Post
Just want to check something... have you tried playing them back on another computer?

If they work in VLC (video at least) then you can use the convert/stream option to output them to another format. Often with MOV files if there is damage to the headers prep and quicktime will refuse to play them. However, VLC is a lot more laid back and will give it a go. Using the convert option will make it into a new, working format that you can at least work with.

I take it you don't have backups ;)
Hi Danny thanks for your input.
Yes i usually back up on three hard drives but guess what this time forgot and got complacent.
My other computer is the same it plays back in vlc with slight sound distortion like Matt says but i can see the footage. So all the files from the recovered SD card i change from MOV to what? Matt gave me a free video converter but it wont go past my computer security malware and Davids is the one nearly getting it... Steve
Old October 27th, 2014, 09:12 AM   #22
Trustee

The recovered footage from card recovery v6 software has recovered all the files there. I used Davids software he said and it repairs the video, i put a couple in the VLC to try convert and VLC has converted them with no audio but they play, so i am nearly there but is there another way? There is about 70 small clips i need to re join them in prem pro. steve
Old October 27th, 2014, 09:14 AM   #23
Major Player

Before you start messing to try and get them to play - MAKE A COPY OF THE RECOVERED FILES!
Old October 27th, 2014, 09:17 AM   #24
Major Player

Did I mention - Make a copy of the recovered files to play with!

With the recovered files, before you converted them in VLC - could you play them with audio using right click / open with?
Old October 27th, 2014, 09:18 AM   #25
Regular Crew

You will need a .mov sticher to piece the footage back together from the fragments on the card.

I have used the method I described with the software I linked to, to rescue in the past when the file in question was showing a similar error to what you have described. I managed to get the image back but not the audio.

Last edited by Matt Brady; October 27th, 2014 at 09:21 AM. Reason: wrong info on file type
Matt Brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2014, 09:25 AM   #26
Major Player

Can you Dropbox or GoogleDrive me a file to look at?
Old October 27th, 2014, 09:47 AM   #27
Trustee

sure cheers david
Old October 27th, 2014, 06:20 PM   #28
Trustee

Thanks everyone for helping me, Dave Farrants gave me a work around which has worked and i am so grateful to him as well as others helping cheers guys...So in future for anyone struggling, TO HELP THEM THIS IS WHAT I DID.
Card recovery for a small fee to get your files back of the SD card, then repair them with Grau GmbH again small fee, then batch the files through mpeg streamclip using the quick time transfer convert, and then bring them into your editor...The sound is not the best but its very usable pheeew.... Steve
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques