Video file recovery at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 25th, 2014, 03:27 PM   #1
Trustee

Video file recovery

First time in 9 years i have a some files on my desktop computer vanished after a computer crash.. Shucksssss.. Sometimes i wonder Adobe??
Anyway used a couple free ones to recover the video files mov, used card recovery and recuva and the videos are there but i cannot open, please help... Steve
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2014, 05:04 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Video file recovery

Can you open the files in VLC?
Old October 25th, 2014, 06:34 PM   #3
Major Player

If it was a Mac computer that crashed I would suggest using Alsoft's Disk Warrior directory damage repair application. It worked wonders for me. I use it as soon as I have missing files or the computer does not recognize the drive or the drive cannot be mounted. If that does not fix it, then I use File Salvage to retrieve.

https://secure.subrosasoft.com/index...&products_id=1

DiskWarrior 4 - The Disk Utility for Mac Disk Repair, Mac Directory Repair, Mac Disk Recovery, Mac Data Recovery

These 2 apps saved my bacon.
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2014, 03:32 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny O'Neill View Post
Can you open the files in VLC?
Hi Danny i cant mate its killing me tried everything...Steve
Old October 26th, 2014, 03:33 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Gannis View Post
If it was a Mac computer that crashed I would suggest using Alsoft's Disk Warrior directory damage repair application. It worked wonders for me. I use it as soon as I have missing files or the computer does not recognize the drive or the drive cannot be mounted. If that does not fix it, then I use File Salvage to retrieve.

DiskWarrior 4 - The Disk Utility for Mac Disk Repair, Mac Directory Repair, Mac Disk Recovery, Mac Data Recovery

Cheers Arthur will try thanks...
Old October 26th, 2014, 04:04 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Gannis View Post

Anything for PC windows 7, not got a mac Arthur
Old October 26th, 2014, 04:44 AM   #7
Major Player

There are lots of instances in which users have had far greater success in file recovery using R-Studio than using the usual suspects. I haven't renewed mine since 2007 as - fingers crossed - I haven't needed to use it. Its only around $90.

File Recovery and Data Recovery Software. Hard Drive recovery utility

Other than that have you tried just dumping what you have into your NLE to see what happens and then rendering out to an intermediate file.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2014, 05:27 AM   #8
Trustee

Cheers Peter, what do you mean though?
Old October 26th, 2014, 05:33 AM   #9
Major Player

Hi Steve,

If you don't find what you want for Windows, I suggest an alternative. It's what I would do first.

You will get all the explanation you need here https://www.winhelp.us/recover-files...ppy-linux.html

If you have never used, or are nervous about using Linux for recovery of your files, which is perfectly understandable, let me assure you 1. You will not mess up your current Windows installation by running Puppy Linux from a live CD or USB, it simply runs in you RAM 2. When you mount discs on Linux, you are not changing their names and making them unreadable on Windows 3. It doesn't matter if Windows is unbootable or not, this should still work.

Dave
Dave Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2014, 06:51 AM   #10
Major Player

If the video doesn't play in VLC then the chances are its borked. Are you getting a specific error? Anything about missing atoms?

Another alternative might be to see if you can get the files back from your source media. You will be surprised just what you can recover from a card you've formatted and used all year.

PhotoRec Step By Step - CGSecurity

An amazing program that has allowed us to recover clips and it even found files that were from weddings over a year ago on the card.
Old October 26th, 2014, 08:05 AM   #11
Trustee

Thanks Danny thats what i have done bought card recover and the files are there but will not play in anything...No errors just a buzzing sound from the audio and the footage is black..Will try that link cheers mate
Old October 26th, 2014, 10:22 AM   #12
Major Player

Have you checked the file sizes of the files you've recovered, are they what you'd expect? PhotoRec is very good but expect it to take a HUGE amount of time. Most recovered / damaged files will normally play something in VLC if it's there in the file.

Best all round recovery solution for .mov's is this - Grau GmbH Hardware & Software Solutions » Video Repair Software

2 options to buy, free to try.
Old October 26th, 2014, 12:36 PM   #13
Trustee

argggg my head exploding, the files have recovered from my SD card but cannot play them, in vlc there is a loud buzzing but can see the picture in prem the video is partly seen and green, Dave that Grau Gmbh same can see the footage but some glitches and some green. arpeggio the footage is there but cannot get to it...
Old October 27th, 2014, 12:16 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I had a similar problem. As the file plays in VLC, but has a duff audio the solution is to convert it with a file convertor from a mov, to a avi. Use a standalone file convertor like this one Free Video Converter | MP3 MP4 AVI 3GP MKV DVD | FREE Download

It will give you a file that will open in your editor, the audio will possible still be faulty but you will have an usable image file.
Matt Brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2014, 01:43 AM   #15
Trustee

Thanks Matt will try that cheers mate...
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques