Grading with cinematic look. Need your advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 2nd, 2014, 04:39 AM   #1
Trustee

Grading with cinematic look. Need your advice

Hola guys,

One of My best friend just got married and He's a videoguy like me.... He shot My wedding and i shot his; as We worked together in Tv (shooting and editing documentaries) We wish add a little of cinelook at our wedding (We got married 2 and 3 months ago). We promised each other to exchange our gifts of each one wedding edit before Xmas and Now i would like ti surprise him with the tipical grading i see in the US reels/ weddings. Usually i use MBL but i don't find the easy filter to add for a wedding style on it! Basically i shot it with My Sony Fx1 and d5200. Any suggestion from you to find those filters that Give you that cinematic feeling?
It's My first experience on a wedding shooting and it's really challenging
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 08:13 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Grading with cinematic look. Need your advice

Point us to some examples of what you are looking for, it will help. Cinematic looks will mean different things to different people.

Why don't you show us examples of what you are trying to achieve and then we can offer suggestions.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 08:45 AM   #3
Trustee

Hola Jeff, how long..... How are you?
Btw here are a couple of examples

Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 02:40 PM   #4
Trustee

Hey Marcus, hard to say. Looking at the Still Motion examples, I think most were very light grading, with most of the work done by picture profile in camera and by the lens! Not sure there's much "film grain" added, and I don't think the colours are remapped to match any film emulsion. Looks mostly like Neutral profile with saturation at different levels.

How do you grade to match this? No idea.

Looking at the second one, again it's a compilation from different weddings, with slightly different grading. More heavily graded than the Still Motion clips. I think I see film grain and colour remapping in many shots. There might well be a Film Convert or Magic Bullet preset that gets you closer.

In either case, I'm pretty jealous of the shots! I really need to rethink my whole way of shooting things...
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 09:48 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I agree that most shots were lightly graded. I think the camera work is the reason for the looks.

Marcus, I think you might be trying a bit too hard to please your friend?

I suspect MB might be the simplest solution for you. I found MB looks to be very nice, but I do not use it any longer, I go for the best shots in camera then color correct as needed.
Old November 6th, 2014, 07:25 AM   #6
New Boot

Grading like you show in the examples is much more than dropping on a filter or a preset, although plug-ins like MBL are one place to get started. In the examples, I can see good footage with careful camera motion, color correction, shadow enhancement, blurring of the highlights, subtle skin-enhancement, lighting enhancements, masking, vignetting, selective blurring, and so on.

Can't say for sure that it wasn't done in-camera, but once you have good footage, most could have been done in post. (I would bet that many of those beautiful lens flares were done in post or enhanced in post.)

There are all sorts of tutorials and books out there if you want to learn color grading. Hurkmann's book and a few hours of Vimeo tutorials will get you started.

Jim
Colorburst Video
Jim Arco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2014, 04:29 PM   #7
Trustee

Thank you guys
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques