Has anyone here switched from 5D3 to GH4 for weddings? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 28th, 2014, 09:36 AM   #31
Major Player

Re: Has anyone here switched from 5D3 to GH4 for weddings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ger Griffin View Post
Just in relation to detail. Id be of the belief that people shouldnt be portrayed larger than a scale of 1:1
Putting a persons face closeup on a 42 inch screen will never flatter. In the near future I think we'll have to bear this in mind. Especially when 4k screens become the norm. We will have to retrain ourselves on how we should be framing our shots.
When the photographer shot the lady's face for the magazine that was about 20 years ago, I don't know if photoshop existed then!

I do believe the colors and softness of the 5D3 image is much better for beauty shots and close ups than the GH4. I have a C100 and for close up shots I use the 5D3.

While I do understand if you mess up and don't plan your framing well like Noa, the GH4 is a good safety net, however, with the GH4 you are always at the mercy of unpredictable light and that for me was the single most important deciding factor in choosing the C100 over the GH4...... the same holds true for the 5D3 vs the GH4.
Michael Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2014, 09:49 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Quote:
While I do understand if you mess up and don't plan your framing well like Noa
Not all of us shoot a person sitting still on a chair playing a guitar having plenty of time setting up our shots Michael :), some of us juggle up to 5 camera's at once during a unpredictable one time event (like the title thread says; weddings) and there a 4K camera can be a godsend just being able to reframe if needed, that's not messing up, messing up is having 2 camera's and not knowing how to match them up.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2014, 10:56 AM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Burkett View Post
GH4 is a great Wedding camera, but less good for other types of shoots. I'd like a C100 with 4K, but Canon aren't going to oblige just yet. There's rumours of the 5D Mark IV for Easter. What's interesting is that whilst some feel it will have 4K, there are strong counter rumours suggesting that it won't. Another site has just published an article suggesting Canon are no longer interested in video in their Photographic cameras, preferring to direct video users to their Cinema Camera Line. Given the C100 Mark II doesn't have 4k, would Canon undercut it with the 5D Mark IV having 4K.

So my question is, should the Canon 5D Mark IV not have 4K, would it make a difference? How many existing 5D3 users would consider jumping ship say if Sony released a fullframe camera with internal 4K recording. Would it mark the beginning of the end of 5D use in Videography, or would the owners of the 5D3 still upgrade to the 5D4 if only for 50fps in 1080p. Is 4K all that important that it'll leave Canon behind or will they still have a strong corner of the video market?
I wouldn't take anything to the bank the "British film maker" has to say. He's legend in his own mind, and has made many false claims, the main purpose of his blog is to sell you stuff. It all comes down to one thing Canon isn't putting 4K video in their 5D4's (theoretically) that's his issue.

Perhaps Canon is a bit more visionary than the "British film maker" gives them credit for. He's kinda stuck in the DSLR thing and can't think outside of that little box. For God's sake..... it's just a video camera that looks like a photo camera, or vice versa........ his faithful followers should take up alms and buy the man a C100 MKII or a sony FS7...... so then he'll have not to complain about.

Perhaps Canon _has_ done their homework, and see a trend moving away from video in DSLR's to a full fledged video camera....... good lord imagine that, imagine you actually buy a video camera to shoot video!!! I did, I bought a C100 because I was tired of menu diving and screwing up shots because I forgot to turn off the "Auto power to disable" or the 29 minute recording limit while shooting interviews and live music. Personally I'll never buy another DSLR again because I all ready have a 5D3. A concept the "British film maker" can't quit seem to wrap his head around.

Imagine the DSLR evolving! Imagine a GH4 with proper ergonomics, buttons instead of menu diving, and no photos just a video camera, a larger sensor for better DOF....... things the 5D3 has a little of. I didn't buy a C100 to shoot photos, and I won't buy a GH4 to shoot photos either, were talking video here.

Finally, I've been on rumor sites too, and read of 4 new cameras perhaps coming out next year, but the 5D4 was not mentioned. I read over and over how everyone is pissed because Canon has't made 4K video available to the masses...... everything all the time!
Old November 28th, 2014, 11:07 AM   #34
Trustee

Quote:
Just in relation to detail. Id be of the belief that people shouldnt be portrayed larger than a scale of 1:1
Putting a persons face closeup on a 42 inch screen will never flatter. In the near future I think we'll have to bear this in mind. Especially when 4k screens become the norm. We will have to retrain ourselves on how we should be framing our shots.
Doesn't cinema break that rule. Plus some of my videos are watched on tablets and smart phones. Maybe I'll shoot as normal and put a disclaimer on the video; 'watching on a screen larger than 42" can seriously damage your self image'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thames View Post

I do believe the colors and softness of the 5D3 image is much better for beauty shots and close ups than the GH4. I have a C100 and for close up shots I use the 5D3.

While I do understand if you mess up and don't plan your framing well like Noa, the GH4 is a good safety net, however, with the GH4 you are always at the mercy of unpredictable light and that for me was the single most important deciding factor in choosing the C100 over the GH4...... the same holds true for the 5D3 vs the GH4.
Bit harsh. Reframing is less a safety net and more an option in filming. I have a good low light lens 12-35, but in civil Weddings, I'd prefer a f2.8 12-70. Such a lens does not exist for micro 4/3s as far as I'm aware. 4k helps in that respect. Still we can argue respected systems till we're blue in the face. No one camera system is perfect. Ideally you'd have multiple systems at your disposal; hardly practical for event filming. I'm sure you're doing great work with your camera system as I'm doing with mine.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2014, 11:09 AM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Not all of us shoot a person sitting still on a chair playing a guitar having plenty of time setting up our shots Michael :), some of us juggle up to 5 camera's at once during a unpredictable one time event (like the title thread says; weddings) and there a 4K camera can be a godsend just being able to reframe if needed, that's not messing up, messing up is having 2 camera's and not knowing how to match them up.
So you actually have five, 4k cameras going just to cover your a$$, and that's a good reason for all of us to sell the 5D3's and get a GH4? Brilliant reasoning Noa!

Everything is a learning process Noa, I'm getting closer to matching up the C100 with the 5D3 it's taken me a couple of shoots with it I don't think it will ever be perfect. This subject seems to be a popular one on this forum matching up different cameras...... I don't think I'm the only one wrestling with this issue.

BTW, I wish you the best in your quest for better framing and anticipating spontaneous and random events!
Old November 28th, 2014, 11:25 AM   #36
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thames View Post
Perhaps Canon is a bit more visionary than the "British film maker" gives them credit for. He's kinda stuck in the DSLR thing and can't think outside of that little box. For God's sake..... it's just a video camera that looks like a photo camera, or vice versa........ his faithful followers should take up alms and buy the man a C100 MKII or a sony FS7...... so then he'll have not to complain about.

Perhaps Canon _has_ done their homework, and see a trend moving away from video in DSLR's to a full fledged video camera....... good lord imagine that, imagine you actually buy a video camera to shoot video!!! I did, I bought a C100 because I was tired of menu diving and screwing up shots because I forgot to turn off the "Auto power to disable" or the 29 minute recording limit while shooting interviews and live music. Personally I'll never buy another DSLR again because I all ready have a 5D3. A concept the "British film maker" can't quit seem to wrap his head around.

Imagine the DSLR evolving! Imagine a GH4 with proper ergonomics, buttons instead of menu diving, and no photos just a video camera, a larger sensor for better DOF....... things the 5D3 has a little of. I didn't buy a C100 to shoot photos, and I won't buy a GH4 to shoot photos either, were talking video here.
!
So not a fan of his then. :)

Actually I own a Panasonic AF101a. I intend to sell it as I dislike the image. I've already stated in this thread that I'm a fan of the c100 and would have gone for the mark ii if it did 4k. Great camera for all the above reasons. Still the GH4 works well for me for Weddings and even if a proper camera presented itself, would still be used prominently in Weddings. I shoot a lot of run and gun at Weddings with a video monopod and the GH4 sits well on that. Plus a few other techniques where a small camera helps.
One thing the GH4 has that I really like, a touch screen. I find that very useful. Plus with one twist of a dial, I can call up several very different custom settings. C1 for manual 50fps, C2 for manual 4k, C3 for 96fps. No menus. Just the turning of a dial. I've customised buttons for histogram, peaking, variable shutter speed and bitrate. Again, no menus. Its very rare I hit the menu button on a shoot.
Old November 28th, 2014, 11:35 AM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
Doesn't cinema break that rule. Plus some of my videos are watched on tablets and smart phones. Maybe I'll shoot as normal and put a disclaimer on the video; 'watching on a screen larger than 42" can seriously damage your self image'.
Yes true, but Ive seen the wrinkles, pores and blackheads 5 times bigger than they are in real life and they dont get any prettier. In our business its about making the subjects look as well as possible. Other businesses (like cinema) have a different story to tell.
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2014, 11:38 AM   #38
Inner Circle

Quote:
Maybe I'll shoot as normal and put a disclaimer on the video; 'watching on a screen larger than 42" can seriously damage your self image'.
I think you might be surprised how many weddingcouples just use their tablets to show their video to whoever is interested, I think the time people actually watch an entire weddingfilm on a tv at their friends place is over, they'll just whip out that Ipad instead. You also can select the appropriate camera depending on the bride, if she's ugly take the 5DIII and if it's a beauty take the gh4. :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2014, 11:44 AM   #39
Major Player

Its all down to how far from the screen the viewer is in relation to the size of that screen. If the detail is there its there.
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2014, 11:59 AM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
So not a fan of his then. :)

Actually I own a Panasonic AF101a. I intend to sell it as I dislike the image. I've already stated in this thread that I'm a fan of the c100 and would have gone for the mark ii if it did 4k. Great camera for all the above reasons. Still the GH4 works well for me for Weddings and even if a proper camera presented itself, would still be used prominently in Weddings. I shoot a lot of run and gun at Weddings with a video monopod and the GH4 sits well on that. Plus a few other techniques where a small camera helps.
One thing the GH4 has that I really like, a touch screen. I find that very useful. Plus with one twist of a dial, I can call up several very different custom settings. C1 for manual 50fps, C2 for manual 4k, C3 for 96fps. No menus. Just the turning of a dial. I've customised buttons for histogram, peaking, variable shutter speed and bitrate. Again, no menus. Its very rare I hit the menu button on a shoot.
Yea, not a big fan of his!

I'm not knocking the GH4..... I would buy one if I had the funds..... but my wife will divorce me if I buy a new camera within the next 2 years, I've assured her I'm covered for the time being....... then she looked at me and laughed.

Actually I want the XL100 instead of the GH4. I came very close to buying a GH4 6 weeks ago, but decided instead to get the C100 and I'm very glad I did.

It seems though the discussion here is about the 5D3 and the GH4 and in that case both of these cameras are relatively small and fit on a monopod. I confess I don't use monopods..... I did take one to Thailand with me last year with the 5D3 but ended up leaving it with family there because my baggage was over the limit, and have never missed it. But I'm not a run and gunner.

Since I don't own a GH4 I don't have experience with the knobs and dials, I only know the 5D3..... and yes the GH4 seems to have many conveniences the 5D3 doesn't have. However after using the 5d3 for the passed year, I dreamed of the simplicity of my old XH-A1 having a fling with my 5D3 on a remote tropical island and producing some off-spring.

I don't get Panasonic, since they are making a reputation for bringing cheap 4K video to the masses, why not go all the way and make a camera like a C100 but even smaller and for the same price as the GH4 with all the convinces of a real video camera...... that in my mind would be real innovation.... but then the "British film maker" might have to change the name of his website..... actually he should do that NOW! EOSHD....... ha ha! it's quite passé.
Old November 28th, 2014, 12:00 PM   #41
Trustee

Quote:
Yes true, but Ive seen the wrinkles, pores and blackheads 5 times bigger than they are in real life and they dont get any prettier. In our business its about making the subjects look as well as possible. Other businesses (like cinema) have a different story to tell.
Lighting plays a strong part in how much detail you get to see in faces. When it's bad, there's a handy filter that targets and smooths faces and I can play with the look so its just right for the shot. I don't do extreme close ups or even close ups, except at Bridal Preps and I examine each one to ensure its flattering.

Quote:
I think you might be surprised how many weddingcouples just use their tablets to show their video to whoever is interested, I think the time people actually watch an entire weddingfilm on a tv at their friends place is over, they'll just whip out that Ipad instead. You also can select the appropriate camera depending on the bride, if she's ugly take the 5DIII and if it's a beauty take the gh4. :)
I find it's the good looking people who complain the most about how they look on camera. It's understandable. Those at the top of the hill always try to reach higher, whilst those like me at the bottom of the hill in looks don't even bother to climb. :)
Old November 28th, 2014, 12:05 PM   #42
Major Player

Quote:
Ha ha! soooo true!
Old November 28th, 2014, 12:08 PM   #43
Major Player

Quote:
I find it's the good looking people who complain the most about how they look on camera. It's understandable. Those at the top of the hill always try to reach higher, whilst those like me at the bottom of the hill in looks don't even bother to climb. :)
Ha ha! I won't go anywhere near a camera lens if I can help it.
Old November 28th, 2014, 12:13 PM   #44
Major Player

Quote:
There are no beauties when it comes to 4K video unless you are an Asian, and even they try and make their skin as white as possible. The beauties you talk about are the ones caked with make up. Ever seen photos of celebrities and movie stars without their make up?
Old November 28th, 2014, 12:18 PM   #45
Major Player

Quote:
You know what they say Noa........ 'Content is King". Just want to say, I love how you do those flowers going in and out of focus...... however, now that you have a GH4, I expect lots of slow motion footage as well.
Michael Thames is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques