What camera will match my C100? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 18th, 2014, 02:43 PM   #1
Major Player

What camera will match my C100?

For this past wedding season I paired my C100 with a Canon 70D and I was not very pleased with the 70D's low light performance (even with fast prime lenses). Most reception venues around here have very dim lighting and I found that if I raised the ISO above 1000 then the noise in the shadows was very difficult to remove even with Denoiser II. Because of this, for the our wedding highlight videos we generally didn't use any of the 70D's reception footage because it was too noisy and did not match the very clean C100 footage.

During outdoor ceremonies (and indoor ceremonies with lots of light) the cameras matched each other fairly well. I found that the 70D looked much softer when viewed full screen on my broadcast monitor, but when compressed and uploaded to Vimeo I don't think the average person wouldn't notice a big difference between the two shots.

I've decided that I want to sell the 70D and replace it with another camera. While I've considered buying a C100 mk II, the cost would be $5500 and I would really prefer not to pay that much for a B camera that is only used during weddings. While I know Canon is likely to release some new cameras next spring, I have no idea what to expect and don't want to assume that they will come out with a camera that meets my needs.

So my question is, what currently available Canon DSLR will do the best job of matching the C100 in well lit and very low light conditions? The three cameras I'm considering are the 5D mk III, 6D, and 7D mk II.

My C100 has the upgraded Dual Pixel AF which made the push autofocus very snappy and I use it quite a bit during weddings (I usually switch between the continuous AF and the push AF depending on the situation). I've heard that the 6D has slow AF but is good in low light. My guess is that the 7D mk II will have the fastest AF (as well as continuous AF). However, if the 7D mk II is not good in low light then I will be back where I started. The 5D is a little more than I'd like to spend, and honestly I feel like if I spent the $3200 on it then I may as well buy a C100 mk I for $4500 because it would match perfectly.

Also, I really want to stick with Canon so I'm not really interested in either Sony of Panasonic.

Please let me know if you have any experience matching a C100 with a Canon DSLR as I would appreciate any advice from someone who's already used these cameras.
Michael Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2014, 03:45 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: What camera will match my C100?

I just shot a narrative deal in which I used a Metabones Speedbooster with the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 on a GH4 (with settings kindly provided by Erika Naso) to match with a C100 with the Sigma 18-35 and I am very pleased with the results.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2014, 01:39 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Silverman View Post
Also, I really want to stick with Canon so I'm not really interested in either Sony of Panasonic.

Please let me know if you have any experience matching a C100 with a Canon DSLR as I would appreciate any advice from someone who's already used these cameras.
The only two cameras from Canon I found that match the C100 perfectly were.... the C100 and C300!

The DSLRs are just blurry and totally different and the colour rendition is different.

I've had good luck mixing my GH4 though ;)
Old November 19th, 2014, 03:50 PM   #4
Major Player

I have heard that the GH4 can match quite well. Unfortunately, I sometimes have to raise my C100's ISO up to 6400 for receptions and I think that's where the GH4 would have trouble matching the C100. I've heard that the sharpness is just as good if not better than the C100 but I would need the really good low light sensitivity too.
Old November 20th, 2014, 05:00 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Partington View Post
The only two cameras from Canon I found that match the C100 perfectly were.... the C100 and C300!

The DSLRs are just blurry and totally different and the colour rendition is different.
This was exactly the reason why I sold my C300 as the quality was so much better than the 5D2/5D3 both resolution & dynamic range that the DSLR footage looked poor in comparison. When 5D2/5D3 are used together the footage matches perfectly & the quality is good enough & the colours & FF aesthetic looks fabulous.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2014, 08:44 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
I have heard that the GH4 can match quite well. Unfortunately, I sometimes have to raise my C100's ISO up to 6400 for receptions and I think that's where the GH4 would have trouble matching the C100.
Well, here you go. GH4 at 6400 ISO, Noise Reduction at -5, exposure meter at 0 and downrezed from 4K. Download the link to view it at full quality and compare with your similar C100 footage to see what you think.
Old November 20th, 2014, 09:28 AM   #7
Inner Circle

You forgot to post a link?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2014, 10:15 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
You forgot to post a link?
No, click the word "here".
Old November 20th, 2014, 10:17 AM   #9
Inner Circle

ah ok, that was well hidden :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2014, 12:49 PM   #10
Major Player

Gary, thanks so much for posting this sample video. I'll run it through Denoiser II later today and compare the footage with my C100.
Old November 20th, 2014, 04:41 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I found the A7s on PP5 to be very easy to match to the C100's WideDR profile with some very slight adjustments. The only difference I've noticed is when using Auto WB so setting kelvin temperature manually when mixing the two makes life much easier in post.
Malcolm Debono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2014, 05:30 PM   #12
Major Player

Malcom, do you have any video links that you could post where you have used both cameras and are matching them together?
Old November 21st, 2014, 03:41 PM   #13
Major Player

We use a 6D as our backup to a C100. Same great low light performance but way sharper than the 5DMK3.
Old November 21st, 2014, 10:57 PM   #14
Major Player

Danny,

That's interesting that the 6D looks sharper to you than the 5D mk III. I assumed that the 5D would be sharper since it costs much more. With the C100 I can raise the ISO to 6400 and then remove the noise with Denoiser II and it looks great. I've noticed that the noise from my 70D is "different" in that it's much harder to remove and it's much more evident in the shadows. And this is just at 1250 ISO. Have you tried raising the ISO really high on both the C100 and 6D and then removing the noise with a filter? If so, what were the results?
Old November 22nd, 2014, 02:17 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Malcom, do you have any video links that you could post where you have used both cameras and are matching them together?
Check here:

01:52 was shot with the A7s and the next shot (01:56) was shot with the C100.
Malcolm Debono is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques