REQ: Minimum Setup Advice - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 9th, 2014, 05:02 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: REQ: Minimum Setup Advice

Adrian, what do you think of the R-05s? How do the internal mics compare with other brands priced similarly? Also, do you plug the TR50s into the R-05s? Or do you plug them into something else?

I just purchased a Tascam DR-05 to place on the podium to record audio of readers. I have not received it yet but I'm hoping the quality will be pretty decent. If it's not then I'll look for something a bit higher in quality. I'm also looking for a recorder that I can plug a wired lav into and place on the officiant/minister. Right now I've been plugging my Countryman EMW lav into my Tascam DR-40 via XLR which works great except that it's VERY bulky and some of the minister's have seemed less than pleased to have to put it in their pocket.
Michael Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2014, 05:56 PM   #17
Trustee

Michael, those Tascams are decent, so no worries. I like the slimmer Olympus DM600 series for the groom's pocket, with a matchstick mic, but use two Tascams for other spots.

I finally got my Tascam DR40 and will run the pastor's mic and an on camera mic into it, then into my aisle cam. I shoot DSLR and even Magic Lantern drops 2 frames (or so) at the 12 minute mark, so the DR40 will give me continuous audio, that I can sync to, and do the ol' left or right channel to mute one source as needed.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2014, 06:28 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Silverman View Post
Adrian, what do you think of the R-05s? How do the internal mics compare with other brands priced similarly? Also, do you plug the TR50s into the R-05s? Or do you plug them into something else?
Hi, I plug the Trams into the Rolands.

I'm definitely no audiophile. I think I mainly got the Rolands on the recommendation of Rob Adams's Creative Live course. I did research other recorders around the same price point at the time, but can't remember how they compared... and it's quite possible that there's something better on the market now.

Main issue I've found: Roland + Tram needs you to boost the levels up pretty high to hear anything. So, I usually have gain set to high, and levels set to 70 out of 80.

Internal mics... I find I get good sound when you park one of these on a lightstand in front of a string quartet/choir/guitar player/sound speaker. Otherwise, not sure how they compare to other recorders' internal mics! I try to avoid using internal mics when possible. But the Rolands definitely sound "fuller" than the sound from the Yamaha C24s that I use, which sound a bit tinny, but then you can fix the Yamaha sound in post.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2014, 05:20 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Some great advice here, my thanks to everyone who has contributed.

What are the views on this camera for a safety? Just sitting at the back on a tripod, unmaned and recording a wide shot.

JVC EVERIO GZ-HD7 CAMCORDER 3CCD HDD HIGH DEFINITION HD HARD DRIVE DIGITAL VIDEO | eBay
Paul Ekert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2014, 06:14 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Looks like it's MPEG-2 recording Paul - I'd be tempted to look for something in the same price bracket that records AVCHD
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2014, 08:01 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Damn you're right.

I'll continue my search.

Last edited by Paul Ekert; December 12th, 2014 at 08:35 AM.
Paul Ekert is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques