Do you Always shoot the wedding dress? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 8th, 2014, 01:05 PM   #1
Major Player

Do you Always shoot the wedding dress?

I have shot the dress no matter what. I have been in several situations where no matter where I place the dress it does not look good. I once went to a hotel for makup and hair and asked for the dress. All the walls were white, and there was no place to hang the dress. I just hung it up on a mirror, because the bride did not want the dress to go outside. Have you guys ever not shot the dress? For me, if it doesn't look good, you shouldn't force shooting it; but we are dealing with clients. How do you guys approach these difficult situations where there really is anywhere to shoot the dress?
Jeff Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2014, 01:13 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Do you Always shoot the wedding dress?

If there is no room to hang the dress I just take it as it comes and hang the dress wherever possible, even if it's in a way to small bedroom, I have a samyang 7,5mm with me almost only to shoot in those very cramped spaces.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2014, 01:41 PM   #3
Trustee

It *can* be one of those things you ask her about, there will be brides who don't actually care about it. Its just another thing.

However, I always shoot the dress. If you don't have anywhere to put it, wait until its on her, then maybe do a series of closeup, fill the frame shots of dress details, then a wider shot to reveal her.

The bonus there is, if you have terrible light in the room, you can move her somewhere decent, like outdoors, or just a sunny spot with good window light.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2014, 02:10 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I still do quite a lot of weddings where the bride is not interested in having the preps shot at all. If that is the case, I make sure I get some very detailed closeups while she is wearing it.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2014, 03:36 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Cook View Post
Have you guys ever not shot the dress?
Nope!

Quote:
How do you guys approach these difficult situations where there really is anywhere to shoot the dress?
-- Lie it on the bed
-- Drape it over a chair
-- Bring your own mannequin to put it on
-- Ask someone to hold the dress up
-- Hang it off the top of the door (can combine with movement of the door)
-- Remove a painting, and hang it off the hook on the wall
-- Hang it from your tripod in such a way that it conceals the tripod legs
-- Instead of doing a full-length shot of the dress, just shoot the top part of it. Eg: hang it on a door handle, pull focus from top of dress in foreground to bride getting makeup in background.

In a hotel room, I've usually found it's possible to hang it in the curtain thread on the windows, but you need a coathanger where you can twist the hook at the top. Alternate plan: it's sometimes possible to hang from the grooves of an air conditioner vent.

If she's not comfortable with you taking it outside outside, how about just outside into the hallway? There's often light fittings or similar that you can hang it from there.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2014, 09:39 PM   #6
Major Player

I just shoot it as I find it. I do not attempt to touch the dress no matter what. I avoid it like the plague. Moving or repositioning it has the possibility that it may get stained touching something. I avoid even suggesting where to place it as if anything goes awry, then I won't be to blame. Once it's on the bride, then I shoot at will getting a few angles. I treat and respect it like the cake. Look but don't touch.
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2014, 02:43 AM   #7
Trustee

I think we fall into the trap of covering what the photog covers - dress, rings, etc etc.

do we need to - I don't think so. If the dress/shoes are being moved fine but other wise it can be a struggle to find an interesting way to shoot them and what for? we know the photog will cover that (I've even filmed the photog setting the rings up for a shot)
Old December 9th, 2014, 02:49 AM   #8
Inner Circle

At my last wedding the dress was hung in the bathroom like this so that's how I shot it with a slider reveal - looks nice against the stark bathroom decor. In hindsight I should have removed the towels :/
Attached Thumbnails
Do you Always shoot the wedding dress?-dress.jpg  
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2014, 03:34 AM   #9
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mailath View Post
I think we fall into the trap of covering what the photog covers - dress, rings, etc etc.

do we need to - I don't think so. If the dress/shoes are being moved fine but other wise it can be a struggle to find an interesting way to shoot them and what for? we know the photog will cover that (I've even filmed the photog setting the rings up for a shot)
I agree completely with this. If I get an opportunity to film it then fine. If not I don't think it's something that's a must have for video. For me the primary purpose of video is to capture people. If you can add in some nice shots of things during the day too then that's a nice bonus.
Brendan McElwaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2014, 04:34 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Gannis View Post
I just shoot it as I find it. I do not attempt to touch the dress no matter what. I avoid it like the plague. Moving or repositioning it has the possibility that it may get stained touching something. I avoid even suggesting where to place it as if anything goes awry, then I won't be to blame. Once it's on the bride, then I shoot at will getting a few angles. I treat and respect it like the cake. Look but don't touch.
Same here - I Never touch the dress or the cake - If I want the dress moving I'll get a bridesmaid to do it or let the tog do it

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2014, 05:24 AM   #11
Major Player

I always aim to shoot it come what may even if the circumstances are such that I can only do close ups of it already on the bride. Its such a massive deal for virtually every bride. Demote it at your own risk :- )

I will always move a dress in order to keep the composition clear of distractions such as dirty discarded clothes, gaudy commercial carrier bags etc. But I never position it in such a way that it has obviously been posed. For example some will hang a dress from a low tree branch in the garden and shoot it backlit by sunshine. To me thats just plain silly because the dress would never have been there had it not been for the shooter. Product shoot - yes. Wedding - no.

When moving it you must be very mindful of your surroundings. In a hotel room you should find that all the various rails and hooks are clean but in a private house you can easily disturb dust and dirt and mark the dress. Likewise fixtures in a private house may not be strong. I once brought down an entire curtain rail in a lounge when I hung the dress from it!

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2014, 08:18 AM   #12
Major Player

I don't touch/move the dress unless I'm with a competant photog who seems to have a good idea of where to shoot mostly. Then I'll assist. Otherwise in general I prefer not to move it tho I have at times. Also, I agree laying it on the bed can be a decent shot.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2014, 02:55 PM   #13
Major Player

I do many weddings where the bride is dressing at the hotel room where the ceremony and reception will take place. The dressing room is usually very small considering the amount of people in there like all the bridesmaids, the make up artist, the flower girl(s), sometimes the parents and believe it or not, the grandparents, not to mention the photog)s) and myself. Many items are scattered around on the floor and tables but there is always that coffee jug along with cups everywhere spelling disaster, ESPECIALLY when the photog starts to move furniture around to gain space. The dress hanging or lying somewhere better not be close. There is nothing that can get the bride ticked off more than to see the slightest stain or rip on her dress or veil.
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2014, 03:46 PM   #14
Trustee

I recently picked up a few things to try and help me when shooting details, dress or not.

a reflective surface. I wouldn't call it a mirror, since its not glass. It has an edge so it can stand on its own. I could use it to bounce some light at the bride's face or an object, maybe by putting it against the wall while she's doing her makeup. Or to bounce a catch light to her eyes without blinding her.

That and I may start shooting some details with my macro. I'm editing our last wedding and my wife did a bit where she shot the shoes, the very shiny, sparkly shoes, in extreme closeup, then pivoted. It didn't *quite* work perfect, but its an interesting idea.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2014, 04:16 PM   #15
Major Player

@ Peter Rush, nice shot. Very simple and with the slider I am sure it really gave it life. Nice job.
Jeff Cook is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques