What advice to give couple ahead of time? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 21st, 2014, 05:49 AM   #1
Trustee

What advice to give couple ahead of time?

That is, advice so that they'll have the best video possible. I'm thinking I'll put together a bunch of tips to email to couples as standard before the wedding.

Andy Wason has so far said, "No music or video games while I'm shooting, keep the room tidy, nobody chew gum."

Here's some that I've said or thought about saying:

-- Let me know the songs you'd like us to use in your video before the wedding, or we might not be able to contact you till after you get back from the honeymoon.

-- If the rings are not with the groom in the morning, let me know. The videographer who's filming the rings needs to carry a special lens for them.

-- If you could have your clothes and accessories set up in one of the bedrooms, that might save us a little time. Photographer and videographers will generally want to film these first.

-- I need at least 30-60 minutes to set up at the church and at reception before you get there. This may mean you'll need to get dressed earlier than you might have expected, but it'll also mean you'll have more time for photos at your house before you go to the church.

-- It's important the groom wears a microphone at the ceremony, or you'll risk getting bad sound.

-- (As a photographer) When you're doing a kiss at the ceremony, make it more than a quick peck, so that we've got a chance to photograph it.

-- Bear in mind that you might spend 30 minutes at the church after the ceremony being congratulated by people and getting group shots with your families, so allow for that in your planning.

-- Don't be too ambitious in the number of photoshoot locations after the ceremony, because you'll waste time travelling. One location with a number of different looks is preferable. Also, it can be nice to arrive at the reception venue at least half an hour before you're due to be introduced, so you've got the time to collect yourself and can ask the staff to bring you canapés.

-- Think about allowing time for a short night-time photoshoot session during the reception, preferably around sunset.

-- Give me a break of a few minutes after the speeches so I can set up properly for the cake cut and first dance.

-- Ask the venue staff to bring food to the crew table just after the bridal table is served. They normally serve the crew last, which means the meals get taken away uneaten while we're busy filming the speeches. You're paying for the meals, so we might as well eat them!

-- (To bridesmaids and bride) When you walk down the aisle, leave a big gap and take your time.

-- When you walk down the aisle, don't do a "feet together" walk. Do a normal walk.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2014, 09:16 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: What advice to give couple ahead of time?

For me its all about the room we're getting ready in. I'll ask about those and see if there are better options because, half the time its some concrete bunker in a church basement with no windows and only some sparse floruscents.

---------
Robert Benda
Weddng Video by RNB Weddings
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2014, 08:24 PM   #3
Inner Circle

For me any requests verbally done to the bride before the big day are promptly forgotten in the chaos of the days before.

I just ask by email for the songs and a reception running sheet. I attend all rehearsals and that sorts out quite a few issues. Seriously whatever you tell her before the day she will forget on the day about 90% of the time.

I always ask the groom to turn the bride's hand a little so the guests and cameras can see the ring being put on..they say "What a good idea" On the day it seldom happens.

Best to work with the MC at the reception ..the bride is spaced out by then !! Yeah I have big issues with speeches/cake/dance gaps .... I ask them nicely to give me 30 seconds to clear the main cam, tripod and lighting but they completely forget and you end up trying to clear the cameras, shoot the cake and yell at the event manager who has decided that the cake cutting will look better in complete darkness!!

We are professionals so we are supposed to take these things in our stride and just adapt to the new situation. It's probably easier as I get tired of asking and it never happens
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2014, 09:03 PM   #4
Major Player

I usually go through the sequence/timing of events at our first meeting, most couples don't realise how much time can pass throughout the day, also mention about music too, if they're having musicians, I try and capture this audio for playback during quiet periods.

A common thing here is, the cake cutting will be posed before-hand by the photographer, we usually get some close ups at this time too.

My set-up time would be around 15 minutes or so, couldn't see myself taking an hour, or asking the bride to get dressed early, most wouldn't take any notice anyway!

I'd agree with Chris, the vast amount of requests/advice are either ignored or forgotten on the day!
Old December 21st, 2014, 09:51 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Rob

I do have one task that I absolutely insist on and I tell the bride early too. I leave her place 30 minutes before she does so I have time to setup gear for the ceremony and still get out in time for her to arrive. I do let her know if the limo is picking her up at 1pm I'm outta there at 12:30 ...If she is not in her dress then tough titty! I have had situations where the limo has been behind my car going to the Church and I haven't found somewhere to park and I still have to place audio gear and set up so I stick firmly to that rule..no exceptions!!

Everything else I can usually work around and be flexible

Chris
Old December 22nd, 2014, 12:46 AM   #6
Major Player

Tell them if they chew gum with their mouths open, it's going to ruin their video.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2014, 01:02 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Something a good celebrant should tell the couple quietly just before the vows, but often they don't, so I tell the couple at the pre-wedding meeting and if there's time, I ask the celebrant to remind them as well: Look at each other during your vows, not the celebrant!
Old December 22nd, 2014, 01:39 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi Mark

I find most celebrants will tell them but good advice anyway .. Whether they remember is another thing so it's probably better that the celebrant gives them a little whisper just before the vows.

I did a beach ceremony at Wndham Resort on Saturday ... lots of wind on the beach but where do all the flies come from? There were millions of them stuck on faces, clothes and quite a nightmare ... we all survived though!! Didn't get a chance to stop off in Bunbury though ...the reception bit for me finished at 10:00pm and I had a Perth wedding on Sunday at 11am .... quite an exhausting weekend!!!

Chris
Old December 22nd, 2014, 02:32 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Hi Chris,

I was just around the corner at Bunker Bay Resort, but not on the beach thankfully. We did wander down to the beach at about 6.30 and it was quite nice. You must have had all the flies as it wasn't too bad. Lots of cattle down here so lots of poo = lots of flies. I'm told huge flocks of ibis are eating the dung beetles which normally keep the flies down.

Sorry for the off topic folks. Two Aussies in summer talking, there's gonna be flies mentioned.
Old December 22nd, 2014, 08:57 AM   #10
Major Player

I have a 2 page PDF checklist that clients can download from my site. I will also email it to folks who inquire to make sure they see it and are aware of these kinds of things.

Then, during the face to face consult, I also actively discuss the items as well.
Old December 23rd, 2014, 06:09 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Whittle View Post
Something a good celebrant should tell the couple quietly just before the vows, but often they don't, so I tell the couple at the pre-wedding meeting and if there's time, I ask the celebrant to remind them as well: Look at each other during your vows, not the celebrant!
I always tell the groom this when putting his mic on.
Old December 23rd, 2014, 04:57 PM   #12
Major Player

I suggest natural light. Have the bride near a window. Tell them to limit the gum chewing and lower the music in the room.
Jeff Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2014, 08:26 PM   #13
Inner Circle

This gum chewing must be an American thing! I have yet to find a bride that is doing the gum thing?? Maybe it's a stress reducer??

The photog I work with fairly often had his wife reprimanded in the Church for chewing gum by the priest once last year but she doesn't dare try it again!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques