Not sure if UHD is going to be like 720p was. - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 6th, 2015, 12:49 PM   #46
Regular Crew

Re: Not sure if UHD is going to be like 720p was.

Another look at the pulse of 4k TV sales...

"U.S. sales of 4K TVs are seen rising to 4 million units this year from 1.3 million units in 2014, according to the Consumer Electronics Association, organizer of CES."

Ultrahigh-Definition TV Sets Finally Ready For Prime Time - Investors.com
Christian Nachtrieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2015, 12:36 PM   #47
Major Player

Maybe HDR HD TV is the next big thing.

Looks like Netflix is pushing into HDR video delivery. Interesting. 4K HDR UHD TVs.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ushere...175143658.html
Old January 7th, 2015, 02:16 PM   #48
Major Player

Does anyone here have a 4k tv?
Daniel Latimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2015, 02:23 PM   #49
Inner Circle

I have four 1080p tv's so yes :) Not planning on getting one soon..
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2015, 02:59 PM   #50
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Latimer View Post
Does anyone here have a 4k tv?
Yep. Recently got a 55" TV plus a 28" PC Monitor; both 4K. Must say my 4K footage looks fantastic on both, especially on the TV. HD comes off pretty well too, especially for Blurays that look amazing on the larger screen. SD fares less well. Some of it is okay, other times it looks terrible, almost as if it was out of focus. If 4K TV's take off, it'll kill SD in the long run.

Last edited by Steve Burkett; January 7th, 2015 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Missed words
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2015, 11:55 PM   #51
Inner Circle

I was spec'ing a 4K capable computer system , the expensive monitors were the "hitch" in putting together a "lo-budget" upgrade.. Ended up picking up a 39" Seiki 4K TV for a "monitor", picked up a couple more since then, at ebay used prices (about the same or less than what a 40-42 HDTV costs currently), they are a bargain...

Only used it for a HUGE "desktop" and to review 4K footage I've shot, but a pretty good deal for both those things. I wouldn't go for a "low resolution" monitor, TV or camera for any "new" acquisitions, and the HD gear I've got looks plenty good with HD content... SD hurts my eyes... 720 "TV's" do too...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2015, 06:24 AM   #52
Major Player

Here is an article from Wired from just a few days ago n.b. after CES:

4K TVs Are Forked. You Should Wait Before You Buy One | WIRED

As a consumer it makes a lot of sense to hold off the purchase of a 4k TV for a few months to wait out the resolution of standards for streaming services.

I can see streaming performance and compatibility being absolutely critical in the very near future. I've just switched my own broadband connection from a decent 12-14 mb/s to fibre which is achieving 40+ mb/s

All of a sudden I'm thinking what is the point of my Sky satellite subscription when I can watch just about anything I want from the terrestrial channels anytime using their players on my Playstation PS3 and watch HD movies etc from Netflix for a fraction of the cost of Sky.

But I - and I suspect many others - want to see the delivery system standardised across all TVs. No good if you can watch Netflix or Amazon on some TVs (with their own built in streaming) but not on others. Using a separate box such as a PS4 may overcome this anyway and I would probably want to do that to feed the audio through my home cinema amp. I'm not sure if you could take an audio feed OUT of a 4k TV, through an amp, then back into the TV.

Interestingly, the article also reports that no major manufacturer had new 1080p TVs at CES. So very soon the customer will be able to buy any TV they want so long as its 4k :- )

How will this affect us? In the fullness of time our customers will have a 4k tv sitting in their lounge regardless of whether we like it or not, whether we see the point of it or not, and whether the customer knows and appreciates why they've got it or not. Demand for standard def DVDs would probably collapse at that point regardless of any devices upscaling chops as the difference would be hard for anyone not to appreciate. Meanwhile my normal delivery of an MP4 file at 1080p (with the DVD) will hopefully fill that future gap for existing customers.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2015, 12:54 PM   #53
Trustee

Today I reached a tipping point. I now have two clients wanting 4K footage (not weddings). I have the ability to film it and edit it but not to view it in full 4K. I'm trying to put off buying a 4K screen as long as possible while the prices keep falling.
Old January 19th, 2015, 03:37 AM   #54
Trustee

Its not essential to have a 4k monitor to edit 4k. I use a 720p to preview in Premiere and you can spot even the slightly out of focus shots with that. I'll preview on a 4k screen once I've exported but more for a final check on how the whole video looks than to measure how the 4k holds up.
Old January 20th, 2015, 02:13 PM   #55
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Burkett View Post
Its not essential to have a 4k monitor to edit 4k. I use a 720p to preview in Premiere and you can spot even the slightly out of focus shots with that.
That much I already know ;) I've been editing 4K footage on a 4K timeline in FCPX with no playback problems for quite a while, it's just I can't see it 'all' at 100%.

Quote:
I'll preview on a 4k screen once I've exported but more for a final check on how the whole video looks than to measure how the 4k holds up.
That's the bit I'm missing.
Old January 20th, 2015, 02:17 PM   #56
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Partington View Post
t's just I can't see it 'all' at 100%.
You'll still be hard pressed to see it all unless you're talking 30" and up.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2015, 02:59 PM   #57
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
You'll still be hard pressed to see it all unless you're talking 30" and up.
Actually I can measure the 4k pretty well on my 28" screen as long as I'm close up to it. It's only from a distance the larger screen becomes important. I've only use the 55" for personal stuff, even though I'm also delivering all online content in 4k.
Old January 20th, 2015, 04:50 PM   #58
Major Player

Quote:
Actually I can measure the 4k pretty well on my 28" screen as long as I'm close up to it. It's only from a distance the larger screen becomes important. I've only use the 55" for personal stuff, even though I'm also delivering all online content in 4k.
Steve, when you deliver the online content in 4K do you mean that you send a 4K MP4 or that you upload it to Vimeo or Youtube in 4K?
Michael Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2015, 05:15 PM   #59
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Silverman View Post
Steve, when you deliver the online content in 4K do you mean that you send a 4K MP4 or that you upload it to Vimeo or Youtube in 4K?
Well I started out uploading a 4k Trailer to Youtube, more out of curiosity initially. I've been doing so since. Vimeo I tend to upload as 720, purely as I find playback crap at full HD. I did upload one video at 4k as an experiment, though it's currently set at 720 playback. However I'll be trying to see if I can get 4k playback as per recent news on the subject.
I'm still editing in HD for most projects, only the Trailer and Marryoke's I edit in 4K. I had one Wedding recently where I filmed just the Ceremony and a Marryoke, also producing a short highlights of the day as well. These videos I plan to deliver in 4k via USB plus HD versions too. I doubt very much they can play 4k now but they may as well have the best version for future playback. Being Winter, it's a good time to experiment, especially as I have a 4k Wedding next Autumn.
Old January 21st, 2015, 06:04 PM   #60
Inner Circle

There are some cheap "off brand" 4K TV's out there if you look - my desktop is a Seiki 39", it's not "great" but also was so cheap I've picked up a couple more for editing and gaming purposes... about the same used as you would pay for a comparable 42" TV... and FAR less than most 4K screens I see advertised. Was a fraction of the price I paid for a pair of 1920x1080 24" Dells I used previously, and it does look lots better than those.

I find the argument that it's "hard" to see the difference to be rather strange, I can always notice when resolution isn't up to snuff... 720p "HD" TV's are horrid to my eye, and while 1080 is plenty good for most purposes, once you've seen the 4K "looking through a window" effect, it's hard to go back to lower rez... One of the reasons I picked up another 4K Seiki was the difference when photo editing and display - things that looked "good" previously show focus issues, pixels, artifacts, and so on when up on a 4K display. The increase in resolution when working with stills is night and day.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques