DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   software stabilisers (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/526264-software-stabilisers.html)

Noa Put January 1st, 2015 12:25 PM

software stabilisers

I often need to further stabilize my footage in post, using edius 7 own stabiliser. That works ok to take out any jitters on shots that are held pretty stable but once there is any small movement the stabilizer distorts the entire frame and you get these weird wobbles.

I have read good thing about prodads mercalli v2 and it is compatible with edius as plugin but I see it's 249 dollar, is it really worth it's price, anyone using it for stabilizing?

Roger Gunkel January 1st, 2015 03:19 PM

Re: software stabilisers

I've been using it for about 12 months Noa and have been delighted with it. I am upgrading to the latest version which appears to offer worthwhile improvements.

Mercalli uses frame cropping and zoom to stabilise the picture, but you can manually set the percentage according to the amount of movement in the picture. There are a number of variable parameters including horizontal and vertical roll, panning and zooming inaccuracies etc. the new version apparently also has lens distortion correction for wide angle sports cameras etc, so could be useful with GoPros and the like.

Roger

Noa Put January 2nd, 2015 02:05 AM

Thx Roger, are you talking about the plugin version or the standalone one? I see they also have the v4 sal+ but the plugin version is a version 2 and I see there is a difference in features. I'd prefer to have the stabilization in post instead of making a round trip to a standalone application.

Roger Gunkel January 2nd, 2015 07:40 AM

Mine is the plug in version which works directly from my NLE timeline. I just select the clip, set the parameters and click ok.

Roger

Noa Put January 2nd, 2015 07:48 AM

Great, just the info I need, is the result that much better then edius own stabilizer? And have you tried the stabilizer with 4K clips on a 1080p timeline?

Edit: just see that you don't mention what nle you are using, hopefully edius? :)

Roger Gunkel January 2nd, 2015 04:29 PM

Sorry to disappoint Noa but I think I am the only person on this forum that is an enthusiastic user of the Magix ProX6 NLE.

I also did a bit of research this evening and it seems that the latest update is only for the freestanding version. The spec does say that it recognised 4k and there is also an Edius plug in version available, but presumably not the latest update. I haven't yet got a 4k cam so haven't tried that.

Roger

Noa Put January 3rd, 2015 03:24 AM

Thx Roger, I am going to search a bit more for user experiences in Edius because the standalone version 4 has a lot more options then the version 2 plugin, yet they have the same price and I don't want to be exporting any footage for stabilization. Also with those differences in option I question if it's worth the high price.
Also need to be sure the plugin in edius can stabilize footage in a 4K project.

James Palanza January 5th, 2015 02:00 PM

If you work with adobe CC, after effects has a plugin that works for me some of the time. Can be a bit of a gamble though as to how well it works.