Second hand canon 24-70 mark I or New Tamron 24-70 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 2nd, 2015, 01:37 AM   #1
New Boot

Second hand canon 24-70 mark I or New Tamron 24-70

Hi everybody. Please help me choose between Second hand canon 24-70 mark I or New Tamron 24-70 for shooting video.
My Body DSLR is Canon 5D mark II.
Thanks all.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 03:36 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Second hand canon 24-70 mark I or New Tamron 24-70

Considering that the Tamron is stabilized as opposed to the Canon, I'd go for that one.
Malcolm Debono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2015, 06:56 AM   #3
Major Player

i used to have a EF 24-70mm mark I but sold it with the intention of getting the mark II at some stage, I don't know what the Tamron is like but the image quality from the Canon is super the one thing I didn't like about it was the weight! and of course it wasn't stabilised.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 11:01 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I have that Tamron and it's a very good lens - the stabilization is what sold it to me - the zoom and focus are reversed in comparison to canon lenses though, so when I use Canon and then go to Tamron it takes a few minutes to get used to

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2015, 09:22 AM   #5
Major Player

I bought both and returned the Canon because of lack of stabilization. The Tamron is easily as sharp and a phenomenal build. It is a revolutionary lens. Look up reviews, every one puts it on the same or superior quality as the Canon but with stabilization. There is no contest. IMHO.
Old January 10th, 2015, 06:20 PM   #6
Trustee

Have had the Tamron 28-75 for 5 years, last week at a gig I couldn't get a focus lock on it. Shot the gig with the other camera, came home and fiddled around with it, couldn't get it to focus far away. Googled for Tamron service centers, found that Tamron is located in NJ and their lenses have a 6-year warranty... packaged it up and sent it off. Assuming they fix it and return it, this will make me a Tamron guy for life. My $0.02.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2015, 08:38 PM   #7
Major Player

The early version of the Canon 24-70 ( I imagine it as the mark 1) is soft at the edges as i have well experienced, not that sharp at all. The later current version is much better. But I would get the Tamron if I had to do video with the stabilization.
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2015, 10:23 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Watson View Post
Have had the Tamron 28-75 for 5 years, last week at a gig I couldn't get a focus lock on it. Shot the gig with the other camera, came home and fiddled around with it, couldn't get it to focus far away. Googled for Tamron service centers, found that Tamron is located in NJ and their lenses have a 6-year warranty... packaged it up and sent it off. Assuming they fix it and return it, this will make me a Tamron guy for life. My $0.02.
Mike, I purchased the Tamron 28-75 to use with my Canon 70D and I'm not sure if I just got a bad copy but when shooting wide open at F/2.8 the image was very soft. It actually looked like the footage was out of focus. The 70D has a tendency to produce very soft images in general (especially compared to my C100) but I found that I had to stop using the 28-75 because it was only useable when I closed the iris to F/4 or above. What has your experience been when shooting at F/2.8 with that lens?
Michael Silverman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques