DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Digital Delivery with DVD Style Menu in Flash Drive (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/526553-digital-delivery-dvd-style-menu-flash-drive.html)

Taky Cheung January 22nd, 2015 01:42 PM

Digital Delivery with DVD Style Menu in Flash Drive

This is my Digital Delivery with HTML 5 method in a Flash Drive to delivery final wedding films to bride and groom. This works on Mac, PC, Android, iPhone and iPad. With AppleTV Air Play or Chromecast, the output can be played back on big screen TV too. :)

Jeremy Lee January 23rd, 2015 04:47 PM

Re: Digital Delivery with DVD Style Menu in Flash Drive

Taky I wasn't able to attend InFocus this year and I would have attended your presentation. Could you please explain how to create a HTML5 Desktop video?

James Manford January 24th, 2015 04:18 AM

That is absolutely brilliant. I know you share tutorials online, do you have one for creating this menu ?

James Manford January 24th, 2015 04:27 AM

Alternatively can you share which HTML5 website builder you use as I kind of get the jist of how it's been done ?

Taky Cheung January 24th, 2015 04:31 PM

I will be speaking at several videography associations on this topic so I don't have any online tutorial for now. Also I didn't use any website builder. I typed all the HTML, CSS and Javascript myself. :)

Chris Harding January 25th, 2015 08:48 AM

Surely a full screen HTML5 video player with a playlist would work quite well with a USB?? It runs full screen on the device you are using and plays the clips sequentially plus you can jump to any part you need to using the thumbnails under the video. Obviously one would need to have each event in clips but I do that anyway!! I don't have a TV with a USB input so does anyone know what the TV USB looks for? Will it by default run an HTML5 index file so everything else will run... on a computer of course the browser plays an html5 file without any issues

Look at these guys JavaScript - Royal Video Player | CodeCanyon

Taky Cheung January 25th, 2015 09:43 AM

If you look at my video above, it shows playing at chapter from a long clip.

There is no standard on what can playback on TV's USB port. Some TV can only play photo slideshows. The chance is even lower for it to a browser included to interpret HTML5. Thus using Chromecast or AppleTV airplay to view the content from thumbdrive to TV would be the best option.

Noa Put January 25th, 2015 11:01 AM

I think you could easily sell your html player on a site like envato, would be useful to many.

Denis Danatzko January 25th, 2015 12:43 PM

Great job!
I've been waiting for something like this to be available. The only similar alternative I've seen is to put an .iso file on a thumb drive (which I've never experimented with).
With the decreasing use/popularity of DVD/BD disc delivery, might this be the harbinger of moving beyond the limitations of those media?
(I envy you for your HTML/CSS and other coding skills, something I never spent much time learning).
Bravo.

Jeff Harper January 25th, 2015 03:28 PM

Denis, will an ISO play on a USB stick?

James Manford January 25th, 2015 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1874661)
I think you could easily sell your html player on a site like envato, would be useful to many.

+1 to this suggestion

I would buy it if it's reasonably priced.

Taky Cheung January 26th, 2015 02:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
.ISO image on thumbdrive is not the way to go. The most time needed is in authoring. If I am already building .iSO, I mgiht as well just give the client the DVD or BluRay :)

Anyway, I'm offering this as a service. for $149 for a wedding, upload all edited footage together with images to be used as background. Then I will wire all the HTML content. The final output is a peronalized box with a special thumbdrive 16GB that works on PC, Mac, Android, iPhone and iPad :)

Denis Danatzko January 26th, 2015 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1874684)
Denis, will an ISO play on a USB stick?

I've read in other forums that it will, but I've never tried it myself. My understanding is, as Taky points out, that if you do put an .iso to a stick/thumbdrive, you should still consider it as effectively making a DVD, with it's inherent authoring requirements, dimensions/limitations, and quality.

What I've been searching for is a way to put HD (1080p) video to a stick/thumbdrive with a menu and selectable chapters. Much of what I've done up to now has been very short-form video, i.e. 30 secs +/-, with 4 views, e.g. normal view/normal speed, normal view/slow speed, enlarged view/normal speed, and enlarged view/slow speed. Each "view" is a chapter selectable from a typical DVD menu, but I'd like to move to sticks/thumbdrives. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem possible to use a menu from a stick/thumbdrive. If I correctly understand Taky's method, it seems he's found a way to do that, albeit from a browser.

Question for Taky: How do you preserve the files and content from accidental erasure?
In the few instances where I've sent out thumbdrives, the only way I could "protect" from accidents is to set properties as "Read Only", which isn't foolproof.

Taky Cheung January 26th, 2015 02:16 PM

I just don't see the point why we have to put .ISO to a thumbdrive and deliver that way. It's really half-ass .. hehehe

It's not difficult to start a video from a particular time other than zero second. :)

With thumbdrive, can't fool proof stupid people. I have copies of all my weddings since 2001. Also, tell the client to make copy to their computer. They can order additional copies from me.

Clive McLaughlin February 18th, 2015 03:52 AM

Since Taky doesn't seem keen on sharing his work (understandable!), has anyone else found this available online yet? Or a tutorial of sorts?

I don't even want it personalized for each client - just a full screen generic background with company logo and three buttons for 'Highlights' 'Feature' and 'Speeches'.