Listing prices on website - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 28th, 2015, 03:55 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Listing prices on website

You could set your minimum price, which could be for a ceremony only, and just mention something like "our prices start at..." and the actual price depends what they want to have covered.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2015, 04:12 PM   #17
Major Player

Robert,
That is exactly what I did. I just place 3 options and said starting prices. Too many options can be confusing, and it is my belief they will call. Once they call you can explain more options or suggest services which will better them in the long run. Thanks for all your guys' ideas and insight.
Jeff Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2015, 12:15 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I list my prices as starting at. It's on my packages page and my contact page. However I still get contacted about prices and brides want to pay way below my starting rate. I feel as if sometimes I should fully list the prices. :/
Old January 29th, 2015, 05:44 PM   #19
Inner Circle

According to the TV show "Brain Games" 3 choices is the maximum the normal person can handle. However, most of the time they tend to choose the first package as long as it has reasonable coverage and not just ceremony only. Now the scientist's discovered that if you inflate your middle package so it's only a tiny bit cheaper than your top package (the one you want brides to book) the higher priced top package will always be chosen as its only a couple of hundred dollars more and you get a lot more coverage.
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2015, 08:46 PM   #20
Regular Crew

I guess it's like the movie theaters charging $5.00 for a small soda, $5.25 for a medium and $5.50 for a large. You get the large one because it seems like such a great deal. = ]
D.R. Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2015, 09:39 PM   #21
Inner Circle

That was exactly the exercise that did but it was with popcorn. They made a small tub $5.00 and medium tub $7.00 and a huge tub $9.00 and watched what movie goes bought and interviewed them later ..most bought the small tub simply because it was affordable and enough for them.

They then changed the medium tub price to $8.00 and the next batch of movie goers almost all bought the huge tub .. even though it was more than they wanted their comments were " The huge tub is only a dollar more than the medium so I bought the biggest one"

The whole issue with weddings is perceived value and if brides think that they are getting a whole lot more than your standard package for just a small increase in price they feel that it is better value for money and they book it even if it takes them a little out of their budget! I think we often forget to mention on our package descriptions exactly what the brides get for their money ...small little things that we automatically give them without thinking should be mentioned on a website as it raises the perceived value of the package even though they would get the extras anyway

We often forget that almost all brides have never been married before and have no idea of what we give them so a simple thing like "We give you 3 DVD sets and an exclusive on-line video" makes a package more attractive to them compared to them just assuming they get it all on one DVD in a clear slim CD case. Even stupid things like splitting the wedding into 2 x DVD's in printed DVD cases and calling it a DVD set (I can often fit everything on one DVD) but always give them DVD sets in Dual Cases as it has a higher perceived value.

I think marketing is an art .. I wish I knew more about it!!
Old January 30th, 2015, 09:10 AM   #22
Regular Crew

I agree you should be open with pricing but don't list them publicly online! The reason is Google creates a cache of your site and various other sites create historical snapshots of websites so if you decide to change your prices the old price will be forever available. My solution is an automated reply to enquiries that redirect them to a password protected page on my WordPress.
Alex Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2015, 10:04 AM   #23
Inner Circle

I'm really not bothered if people know what my old prices used to be as I hold prices long enough to justify an increase if necessary. If new enquirers want to know what my prices were 2 years ago, why should it matter as they still have to pay the current price as shown on the website and in my leaflets. Of course if they booked it 2 years ago they also won't be worried if I have put the price up, as they will still pay the price they booked it at.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2015, 11:05 AM   #24
Inner Circle

I currently have starting price listed on the website. It shall filter some really budgeted brides. I also wrote a javascript on the page. with a simple parameter on the URL, it will reveal the full price.; :)
Old February 22nd, 2015, 05:15 PM   #25
Major Player

I list prices. It weeds out the price shoppers for the most part, whom I have no interest in engaging with. And frankly, I'm too lazy to want to play salesman, so it works out great. And I have more clients than I know what to do with.
Corey Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2015, 06:09 AM   #26
Regular Crew

I have been back and forth with prices on web site recently.

I found that by listing my prices I would get less enquiries but the ones I got meant business.

I have now gone to a 'start from price' on the website. Am getting loads more enquires and I get the opportunity to sell the different collections we offer to them. So for the time being am happy with this strategy.
Matt Brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 06:09 PM   #27
Regular Crew

I have decided to list them.
But only if you look very carefully ;)

Can anyone spot the prices of my three packages?

Not sure if this will be effective or not, but I just decided to try it as of today:

Wedding Packages - Wedding Videography
Ian Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 07:51 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Hi Ian

OK, I'm a bride (not really of course) and I have decided I want a wedding film ...I have budgeted between $1500 and $2000 for my wedding ...your site is full of information BUT I cannot find any indication of prices (even approximate ones) I am tired of looking and don't really want to have to go thru the hassle of emailing you and trying to find out if I can afford you so I'll just move on to another videographer.

This happens on many occasions where the bride already has a budget figure in mind and there is a good chance she will skip you as a potential supplier if she cannot find out some ball park figures ...she really doesn't want to go to the effort of contacting you if your packages start at prices way more than she can afford so your site goes into the "too hard" basket and she moves on.

Your page has nothing that might convince her to inquire further like an impressive clip that might sway her thinking and a comment saying "You could have a stunning wedding film just like this ... and it will cost less than you think too"

When I buy something I need to know if I can afford it even if it's outside my budget but still feasible.

I had a quick look but costing never jumped out at me so would a bride find it??

Just my 2 cents worth

Chris
Old February 26th, 2015, 09:41 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Ian

OK, I'm a bride (not really of course) and I have decided I want a wedding film ...I have budgeted between $1500 and $2000 for my wedding ...your site is full of information BUT I cannot find any indication of prices (even approximate ones) I am tired of looking and don't really want to have to go thru the hassle of emailing you and trying to find out if I can afford you so I'll just move on to another videographer.

This happens on many occasions where the bride already has a budget figure in mind and there is a good chance she will skip you as a potential supplier if she cannot find out some ball park figures ...she really doesn't want to go to the effort of contacting you if your packages start at prices way more than she can afford so your site goes into the "too hard" basket and she moves on.

Your page has nothing that might convince her to inquire further like an impressive clip that might sway her thinking and a comment saying "You could have a stunning wedding film just like this ... and it will cost less than you think too"

When I buy something I need to know if I can afford it even if it's outside my budget but still feasible.

I had a quick look but costing never jumped out at me so would a bride find it??

Just my 2 cents worth

Chris

Chris,
I appreciate your feedback :)
I'm hoping you can clarify some of your points. You mentioned that my site offers no impressive clip. Did you miss the landing page to the site?

There are plenty of sample clips on the home page.
Also, the "Wedding Package" page starts with some of the selling points you sound like you are looking for: an introduction that mentions numerous reviews, competitive pricing, years of experience, etc.

So is your point simply that if I were to be more clear in the prices, you (as the bride) would contact me?

I've always worked with the understand that you need to first describe your service before you offer the price.

I'm sure there are arguments for both sides of this camp. I think the best thing for all of us to do is test it. See what works for your clients in your market area and do a trial run for a few months.
Ian Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 11:31 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Hi Ian

I just clicked the link that took me to your page from your post but it seemed to be the packages page so maybe that was the issue ...brides would go to your landing page I assume where you impress the pants off them and THEN they go to packages??

Regarding prices, if you are getting bookings then I would leave it as it is but if the bride does want at least a price range you have added another step for her to do and then wait until you respond.

BTW I couldn't click on the Contact us for prices cos you have only hyperlinked the word Contact ..it might be better to link the whole phrase rather so if they click on any word (I clicked on "Prices" and nothing happened of course)

I guess it's a personal thing but I still (as a bride) would like to know whether I can afford you ...You might charge $10K and upwards and I only have $1500 !!! If it were me and I didn't want to specify prices I still would say "packages starting from $1500" ... then I at least know I can afford you hopefully.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques