Listing prices on website at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 27th, 2015, 02:11 PM   #1
Major Player

Listing prices on website

I currently do not list my prices. What I do is list the type of services we offer. There is mixed thoughts on this, but some say list the prices and some say don't list them let the client call. I feel today's younger bride and groom want instant gratification like everyone else. They are too lazy or do not find the time to call for a quote. One reason I do not list my prices is so that I can fit their budget accordingly depending on the need. What do you guys think...do you lose business by not showing prices? Like I said, before I quote I like to understand their needs and what the service is for.
Jeff Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2015, 03:17 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Listing prices on website

One frame of mind is that IF you compete based on price, you need to list it. Otherwise, don't worry.

However, a lot of the reading I've done suggests that a legitimate strategy is to present your price because, unlike a common item you can buy in any store or online and have a reasonable idea of cost BEFORE shopping, we are a rarity AND a hard to quantify service. It is to your advantage for the potential customer to see your higher price because then that is the "normal" rather than some cheaper guy down the street getting them thinking that '$1000 is a lot.'

For example, as a wedding DJ I post my price even though I"m 50% above market average. I charge a base price of $1295 in an area where typical is $800. Fortunately, the local multi-op that charges $800 demands an email address and phone number before giving a quote. They actually make it HARDER to get info, even though they should be selling on price. Anyway, despite my prices, I still book about as many weddings as I'm willing.

Now I'm working on a videography price sheet that will cover their options and still give me flexibility to change the quote.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2015, 03:28 PM   #3
Major Player

@Robert,
Thanks for the insight. I too have been reading that it is best to present a price for clients. I think I might mark up a tad just in case I need to change quote like you.
Old January 27th, 2015, 03:31 PM   #4
Trustee

Well, I know I've got a small number of clients because I list prices. They liked the fact that it was clearly laid out, and I totally sympathise with that -- even if I go to a shop in the food court, I want to be able to see prices clearly, and I don't like the hassle of asking people.

But that's a small minority. Everyone else tends to ask for a quote even though the prices are listed, and then ask for a discount for paying in cash (I don't give one). So I'm doubtful you lose anything by not listing prices.

Standard practice round here seems to be to not list prices, or to give just a ballpark estimate ("Our packages start from..."). I think some people believe it forces the potential client to engage with you, to talk to you on the phone, etc, and then you can sweet talk them into selecting you. There may be some truth in that.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2015, 04:38 PM   #5
Trustee

I used to get a lot more inquiries when I posted prices than when I didn't.
Old January 27th, 2015, 04:42 PM   #6
Major Player

I also feel that if they do end up calling you for a quote you can get a better understanding of what they are after. Yesterday I spoke to a couple who could only afford ceremony and reception cost. So I explained it my cost for those services and booked them. There are many varibles when it comes to pricing for our industry. Some only look for pricing, which tends to be the cheapies. It can be very confusing.
Check out this lady's explaination

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzKR...U#action=share
Old January 27th, 2015, 05:42 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I always list my prices including in the leaflets that I hand out a wedding shows and regularly have people tell me that they love the fact that I openly show prices. It means that they know whether they can fit me into their budget, or stretch it a bit and it seems to add some honesty to it. I know that if I look at something that is not priced, that I feel uncomfortable that I may be getting sized up to see whether I can afford to pay more.

I work on the basis that I can only film one wedding on a day, so I have one fixed price to cover the whole day, why do I need to hide it? If I was selling a variable package, then maybe finding out what they want first would be an advantage, but if I sold a lower priced package I might be doing myself out of a full priced one later. So for me, one price and clearly advertised with the proviso that a joint photo/video package is a higher fixed advertised price.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2015, 06:07 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Me too! When I am buying something and it's not priced then I will simply pass it by! How does a bride know even what price range you are in? They have a budget and when they get to a site with no prices they usually just skip it as no prices usually means it's expensive.

Jeff ? that is probably one of the reasons why your enquiries are slow when you mentioned in a previous post that you wanted to offer discounts. At the very least give the bride a price range so she knows whether she can afford you or not so I think your website should at least say "Weddings from $XXXX"

I'm still am in favour of having your prices upfront and out there of course. Brides never try to negotiate with me ..they have seen the price and accept it
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2015, 02:08 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I list my prices and the dates I'm already booked on my site. I like the fact that when I get an inquiry, they are essentially prescreened. They know how much I charge and if I'm available. I don't need to waste time selling to them before I divulge the price.
D.R. Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2015, 02:48 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Forgot about my calendar page... it helps that the bride knows you are available so you both don't waste a lot of pre-booking time then find out you already have booked that date. Mine is updated all the time and shows currently up to July 2016

I'm not exactly the world's greatest salesman so by having enough info on my site means the bride seldom enquires about a wedding but says "we would like to book you" ...I then simply go and collect info and sign them up without needing to resort to sales techniques that I don't have
Old January 28th, 2015, 03:34 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I just have one price now for a full day as I want to maximize my income for that one day a week that I do weddings, in some case that can mean starting at 8 in the morning and stop at 1 at night but it can happen I need to start around 12 in the afternoon. Basically it means every couple that chooses me gets a full coverage of their day starting at the make-up and ending a bit after the first dance. I also don't offer any shorter shoots like ceremony only.

Therefore I just list that price on my website so I know that as soon as they contact me price is not going to be a discussion point. Any contact by mail is then to know if I"m available for their day and if so to schedule a meeting.

I know that posting availability dates on my site as well would narrow down email requests considerably but I never would, if I would have a slow year (for 2016 where I decided to take on less weddings for health reasons) that might come over as if I am not doing well, you know that feeling you get if you want to go to a restaurant but see their parking space is empty which might give you the idea people don't come there because the food is bad. :) For those inquiries where I"m already booked I have a standard answer ready that I just copy/paste and return the mail, that just takes a minute of my time but I am keeping track of those requests now as well as it gives me a indication of how well I"m doing.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2015, 06:04 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Hi Noa

I thought about an empty calendar having an effect on brides thinking "he isn't very good as nobody has booked him" What I have is booked weddings filled in in RED and provisional bookings/enquiries in progress filled in BLUE and a note at the top saying "Even if your date shows as provisionally booked, you can still make an enquiry as the date is not yet confirmed so provisional dates can easily become available"

We do have very quiet months here so quite often my July grid will still be totally empty in June! It's cold and our rainy season so brides tend to shun our Winter months.

Despite the disadvantage at the season start I still find the calendar stops wasted enquiries and you certainly shouldn't get any repeat business from a bride (I did have a bride this month who wanted the 17th January and when I told her we were booked she re-organised here entire wedding for a week later)

In your case, with your back issues, maybe a calendar is not the best of ideas but for most of us it does make enquiries easier.

Chris
Old January 28th, 2015, 02:18 PM   #13
Major Player

I'm in the' show the prices' camp, the only reason i use this strategy is that if i go to a site myself (and sites here of all kinds are particularly hesitant at showing prices) I just dont bother going further if i see something like please call or email for a quote.
Old January 28th, 2015, 02:26 PM   #14
Major Player

I understand where you guys are coming from. When I look for a product of service online I look for price. Not having prices may keep people from calling, but with our services it can be difficult to show all prices due the fact that there can be variation of services. For those who do show prices, do you show just a few, and when they do call and ask, "Do you do ceremonies only?" you can say yes or no whatever your take is on that. But if you mention on your site that you do ceremonies only as well as full day coverage many might just pick the cheapest route? If I were to show prices, I might just include a few which reflect our bigger money makers.
Old January 28th, 2015, 03:54 PM   #15
Trustee

Make it simple, whatever you do. The last thing you need to do is offer to many options and cause the "paralysis of choice" and they just move on.

2 or 3 choices at the initial point, that's it. Additional ideas or add ons can be addressed once they've decided whether to hire you.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques