2 camera's one one tripod at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 12th, 2015, 09:59 AM   #1
Inner Circle

2 camera's one one tripod

Next wedding I"m going to try out using 2 fixed camera's on one tripod, probably some of you have been doing this for a longer time but I have been thinking about it as I want to keep all as light and simple as possible.

For my fixed camera I use a light mefoto travel tripod, very small folded in, very light but when extended goes up to 1,6m, on this tripod I attach my ax100 to serve as a safetycam during ceremonies so I can have the altar and the lectern in one frame and after wards reframe/zoom in when necessary in post.

On that same tripod I now attached a smarthphone mount that came with my feiyu g4 but is also able to hold my sony cx730 which I intend to use to zoom in on talking heads at the lectern. Both camera's remain fixed troughout the ceremony while I walk around with a 3rd camera getting b-roll (or is that c-roll? :) while shooting handheld with a cx730 that has a varavon loupe attached to it, see also below photo.

The photos are not so clear and where taken with a phone but you can get the idea, I"m curious though to see how that will work out. Just thought I would share.
Attached Thumbnails
2 camera's one one tripod-img_20150212_164638675.jpg   2 camera's one one tripod-img_20150212_164614840.jpg  

2 camera's one one tripod-img_20150212_170100370.jpg   2 camera's one one tripod-img_20150212_170112443.jpg  

Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2015, 10:30 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: 2 camera's one one tripod

Hi Noa I have been doing this for several years and it gives the ability to move very quickly and be extremely flexible. I use a camera clamp on the tripod shaft, which enable me to quickly unclamp and attach it somewhere else, for instance in the recessional to get them from both ends of the aisle.

Roger
Attached Thumbnails
2 camera's one one tripod-image.jpg  
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2015, 02:05 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Which type of clamp do you use? The smartphone mount I have is ok to carry the weight of my handicam but it looks a bit flimsy, I only fear it might come loose which is why I have secured the camera to my tripod with a short cable wrapped around the camera handle which is attached to the tripod but it's not that ideal.
Old February 12th, 2015, 03:37 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I've used a Pedco branded clamp, and sometimes the velcro strapped mini-tripods that seem to use some of the same bits. For a while I had some cheap import clamp ones, but not even sure where those are!

You might want to mount the CX to the left of the column, to make it easier to use the LCD? In the one pic it's mounted to the right.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2015, 03:39 PM   #5
Trustee

I just bought the same adapter as Roger and can confirm it's a nice sturdy piece with cork on the top to prevent slipping.

It's here: Hague TCM Twin Camera Mount - Cameragrip
Old February 12th, 2015, 04:06 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
You might want to mount the CX to the left of the column, to make it easier to use the LCD? In the one pic it's mounted to the right.
I can't mount it to the other side, the tripodplate hole on the bottom of the camera is off-set to one side and smartphone mount screw doesn't extend far enough from the tripod, it is possible to use the camera like that though but its not ideal.
Old February 12th, 2015, 05:55 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Which type of clamp do you use? The smartphone mount I have is ok to carry the weight of my handicam but it looks a bit flimsy, I only fear it might come loose which is why I have secured the camera to my tripod with a short cable wrapped around the camera handle which is attached to the tripod but it's not that ideal.
I took a chance on this one and was very pleased so bought two more. I use them all the time for the Panasonics and for the GoPro and SJ4000s. I like the fact that I can clamp them virtually anywhere instantly.
Phot-R Spring Clamp Clip Ball Head Bracket Studio Car Camera Video Flash Tripod | eBay

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2015, 06:51 PM   #8
Major Player

I have in the past, not had the cams on the same tripod but fairly close to one another i use this combo
Universal Super Clamp With Ratchet Handle 035C - Super Clamps | Manfrotto
and a small ballhead, attaching the Sony PJ860, I have remote control using a tablet to zoom in and out as required, works good at times.
Old February 13th, 2015, 10:41 AM   #9
Major Player

I have some of the clamps similar to those Roger linked to but I don't use them any more. They are OK for very light kit such as Zoom H1's but I don't want to trust them with anything heavier like a camcorder perched 7ft up above a church's stone floor. Also with mine I had to glue the rubber surrounds onto the jaws as they would not otherwise stay on there reliably. They are however good as tabletop stands for lightweight audio recorders - you just put the long side of the jaws on the table and you're good to go. Ugly in photos though.

I've been doing the single operator multi-cam thing for over 3 years now and I've changed my mind frequently about what are and are not good ideas.

I now prefer to use manfrotto superclamps with rigid arms as in this photo:

http://www.ashtonlamont.co.uk/videos...48-03_ankr.jpg

They won't sag or get knocked out of composition by passing guests. Also their jaws open far wider than "Roger's" clamps - often a consideration in churches as many of the best positions do involve quite wide rails or bits of furniture. Also frequently its necessary to get a bit of distance between the actual cam and the fixture it is clamped to so a rigid arm such as in the photo or similar is desirable. This includes the scenario where you attach the 2nd cam to a tripod shaft or leg - the extra distance facilitates easy access to all the controls, the screen, and enables you to drastically recompose your shot in milliseconds unrestricted by a piece of tripod ironmongery getting in the way.

When positioning lock down cams I would always recommend thinking about how you can quickly reframe if necessary or desirable, rather than just leaving it and hoping for the best. Otherwise if your key talent is just slightly off their expected position you might be screwed with headless bodies or worse.

Its easy to carry superclamps - they don't need to go in your bag, just put them on tripod and lightstand shafts or legs.

For lightweight audio recorders, Gopro's etc I use the sort of friction arms you can pick up on Ebay for a few £. These give you lots of scope to get the orientation perfect in seconds.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2015, 07:56 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Peter can you provide a link to that rigid arm? - will do in place of my Manfrotto magic arm in some places

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2015, 08:40 AM   #11
Major Player

Its the Manfrotto 042 extension arm:

Manfrotto 042 Extension Arm for Super Clamp (042) - Wex Photographic

They clip into the superclamp and so unlike some friction arms that screw in they will not rotate loose under the weight of mounted gear.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2015, 09:30 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Will have to look in something like you have Peter, my solution was ok at last wedding but it was very hard to get the camera fixed properly, each time I turned the screw to fasten the tiny ballhead that holds the camera it would tilt up a bit making it difficult to get the right frame.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques