New iPod for marketing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 13th, 2005, 07:54 AM   #1
New Boot

New iPod for marketing

Just a thought the new Apple ipod that was released 10/12/05 holds 3 hours of videowith audio on a 20 hr batterie. I am looking at picking one up to keep with me with some wedding demo clips on it so when I am speaking to people about my Wedding business I can just show them on the spot some of my work. Check it out http://www.apple.com/ipod/ipod.html
Derek Harkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 08:15 AM   #2
Major Player

Great idea! Then you can write it off as well. You could store an entire wedding on there with a highlights clip, and still have room for a ton of music.

But, I think it requires Quicktime 7 for the Mac version, and I had a ton of trouble with QT7 and Flip4Mac (WMV encoder) using Panther 10.3.9. I should upgrade to Tiger.

Dan
Dan Shallenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 08:22 AM   #3
Major Player

I thought of another use.

Realtors could download short home tours to the iPod and then give it to clients to review. It would make use of that down time driving from house to house if Mr. & Ms. homebuyer could sit in the back seat and rule out or in prospects . . .

Remeber you heard it here first
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 08:24 AM   #4
New Boot

I was thinking about the write off as well. If you order from Apple now you can get the Black iPod (looks real pro) and they will engrave the back of it on the metal cover for free so you can put your business name etc. I am not sure about the QT7 I will check with apple.
Old October 13th, 2005, 09:38 AM   #5
New Boot

Just confirmed with apple the 60gb does use QT7 and it is sposed to be 150 hrs of video on the 60gb not 3-4 hrs. I was told their tech specs are incorect. However 150 hrs seams a bit much for a 60gb drive... I am good with 3hrs anyway as prospects that take time to look at your stuff will not watch 3 hrs let alone 150....... LOL

Derek
Old October 13th, 2005, 09:52 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wiley
I thought of another use.

Realtors could download short home tours to the iPod and then give it to clients to review. It would make use of that down time driving from house to house if Mr. & Ms. homebuyer could sit in the back seat and rule out or in prospects . . .

Remeber you heard it here first
That's not a bad idea, I have been meaning to speak
to this Colwell banker for awhile, but the whole ipod idea
I wonder if he'll go for it considering it's screen size.

I will check it out though. What I had in mind was to simply
provide video that can be used to showcase a house.
Dante Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 09:53 AM   #7
Major Player

Yeah, I read the QT7 requirements as well. It stinks, though, that iTunes 6 is required to move video onto the iPod Video. I would think that it would operate like an external drive, but this quote from Apple's website makes me think iTunes is REQUIRED to move video onto the iPod: "Buy music videos and TV shows from the iTunes Music Store and sync them to your iPod, or use QuickTime 7 Pro to export your home movies to iTunes for syncing."

Oh well, still an awesome opportunity to carry video with you in such a cool-looking small package, as well as contacts, games, music, photos, etc. Now if it would just work as a cell-phone...

Dan

BTW, I wonder if Flip4Mac would do better with QT7 if I upgraded to Tiger. With Panther, it was terrible! And the process to downgrade back to QT6.5.1... 1) downgrade from 7.02 to 7.01... reboot 2) downgrade from 7.01 to 6.5.1... reboot 3) to get FCP to work with external cameras again, reinstall full version of QT6.5.1... reboot. Crazy!
Old October 13th, 2005, 11:14 AM   #8
New Boot

Dan what is Flip4Mac? I am running a version of Panther as well. I see that I have to upgrade to QT7 and 10.3.9. What issues have you encountered in FCP with these upgrades. Should I not upgrade to QT7 and 10.3.9 to use the iPod

??

Derek
Old October 13th, 2005, 01:45 PM   #9
Major Player

Flip4Mac allows you to encode any Quicktime movie into a WMV, which is a Windows-specific format for the Windows Media Player. When installed, you have a "Movie to Windows Media" option on Quicktime/Export. I need this because I need to encode WMV video files for some of my clients who are Windows only and don't want to download Quicktime.

The problems I had were that the encoding times and quality were really bad with 10.3.9/QT7 and Flip4Mac. If I was using Tiger, it might be fine. But, I haven't upgraded to Tiger yet. When I downgraded QT from 7.02 back to 6.5.1, WMV encoding worked perfectly. Then, the next time I used FCP, it couldn't connect to my camera. So, I tried reinstalling QT6.5.1 from a full installer rather than the reinstaller, and FCP worked fine then.

FCP HD worked fine with QT7. The problem occured when I downgraded to 6.5.1. So, if you don't need to encode WMV files, you're using 10.3.9, and upgraded to QT7, you should be fine.

Dan
Old October 13th, 2005, 02:13 PM   #10
New Boot

Thanks Dan
Old October 19th, 2005, 10:23 AM   #11
Major Player

You know, we're talking about the iPod Video for marketing... what about the PSP? I know it's perceived more as a gaming machine, but it's very video capable. Plus, you can display 16x9 widescreen video on its 4.3 inch 480x272 screen natively.

Although it doesn't have a hard disk inside, it does use up to 2gb memory sticks, which would easily hold a full wedding highlights video and other samples. Keep a ton of music on one stick, wedding or event video samples on another, etc. (although 1gb & 2gb sticks aren't cheap)

All that, and it can be used as a music player... a photo viewer... a web browser in a wi-fi zone... and it plays some cool games as well.

Anyhow, the iPod video I think is cooler because it's from Apple, but I really liked the larger, widescreen format screen on the PSP. I haven't seen the iPod video in action though.

Dan
Old October 19th, 2005, 10:34 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Shallenberger
You know, we're talking about the iPod Video for marketing... what about the PSP? I know it's perceived more as a gaming machine, but it's very video capable. Plus, you can display 16x9 widescreen video on its 4.3 inch 480x272 screen natively.

Although it doesn't have a hard disk inside, it does use up to 2gb memory sticks, which would easily hold a full wedding highlights video and other samples. Keep a ton of music on one stick, wedding or event video samples on another, etc. (although 1gb & 2gb sticks aren't cheap)

All that, and it can be used as a music player... a photo viewer... a web browser in a wi-fi zone... and it plays some cool games as well.

Anyhow, the iPod video I think is cooler because it's from Apple, but I really liked the larger, widescreen format screen on the PSP. I haven't seen the iPod video in action though.

Dan
i have some of my demo clips on my psp. the screen is bigger, the aspect ratio is perfect (since i shoot and deliver in widescreen) and it has what the ipod does not: speakers.

i love the ipod (my first ipod was purchased the day of the announcement), i love apple (i have 7 macs), but to use the ipod for your demo, remember that unless your client puts on headphones or unless you use the tv out (in which case you'll be showing video in low 320x240 res) they will not hear anything.

that said, i have not used my psp at all for marketing. why? my psp's screen is dwarfed by a 42" plasma, and we only do incall consultations. it's good for a novelty and for playing some games... i say "some" because sony has not supported it as well as they should (my day job is in the videogame industry, sorry for the rant).
A.J. Briones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2005, 10:56 AM   #13
Major Player

A.J., I agree that showing potential clients a demo video on a little 4.3" (or worse yet, 2.5") screen is not the best scenario. But my thinking was that I could easily carry a PSP or iPod video with me most of the time. So if I started talking and networking, I could easily whip out a PSP or iPod video to show them basically a nice teaser, then invite them somewhere more comfortable with a nice tv/screen for a more comprehensive demo.

You make a great point about the PSP speakers... I didn't even think of that. You could show video to a small group of people with the PSP, and it would definitely be more convenient without headphones.

What exactly do you do for the videogame industry, if I may ask?

Dan
Old October 19th, 2005, 11:06 AM   #14
Major Player

what makes the psp ideal is the fact that with a bigger screen and speakers, you can answer questions and talk your client through a video while they are watching. if the client has to wear headphones, you can't say a thing. ;-P

that said, you are more likely to carry around an ipod than a psp at all times.

i'm currently a motion capture animator for a major studio.
A.J. Briones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques