Another Highlight Vignette to share - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 13th, 2005, 09:03 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Another great Highlight Vignette, Glen!

I'm always amazed at the practice that you put into the movement without the use of a steadicam or other piece of equipment.. I think you once referred to it as a camera person's tai-chi - as the fluidity of movements creates a nice central point.... No doubt a technique that I'm struggling with, but improving on...

A quick question though - how much time do you spend ahead of time coordinating the different angles and shots at a reception or at the church?? Are the empty church shots you take basically pre-empts in preparation for the ceremony?? Meaning - do you take the shots in preparation for the setup you do during the ceremony??

I did notice, however, that there were times when the background music flooded over the officiant.. Granted, my speaker/headphone setup may be faulty - but I wanted to pass that along, just in case..

Great job Glen!
-Michael
Michael McGruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 09:44 PM   #17
Major Player

Hi Glen,

I already chimed in on the other site, but excellent job, as always.
Old October 14th, 2005, 06:09 AM   #18
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael McGruder
I'm always amazed at the practice that you put into the movement without the use of a steadicam or other piece of equipment.. I think you once referred to it as a camera person's tai-chi - as the fluidity of movements creates a nice central point.... No doubt a technique that I'm struggling with, but improving on...

A quick question though - how much time do you spend ahead of time coordinating the different angles and shots at a reception or at the church?? Are the empty church shots you take basically pre-empts in preparation for the ceremony?? Meaning - do you take the shots in preparation for the setup you do during the ceremony??

I did notice, however, that there were times when the background music flooded over the officiant.. Granted, my speaker/headphone setup may be faulty - but I wanted to pass that along, just in case..

Great job Glen!
-Michael
I usually attend rehearsals especially if it's a church I haven't shot before. I'll sometimes use the day of hte rehearsal to get shots of the church (keeping in mind it isn't decorated inside yet with flowers etc). The rest of the stuff is on the fly. When I'm in any given environment I'll spend a moment to look around and look for opportune shots. A lot of wedding videography is from the hip, at lest for me it seems.

Regarding the audio levels, I haven't noticed that on my end but will look into it. Thanks Michael.
Old October 14th, 2005, 06:51 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott
I don't want to deal with the anamorphic adapters. I love the flexability to go stock, .3x, .7x. or .55x on the fly...and I often do (change very often).

I'm confused by your answer... I'm speaking about the 16:9 anamorphic mode which your VX-2000 & PD-170 are capable of shooting in right out of the box - no adaptors required. Even in anamorphic mode I think you would net just slightly better horizontal resolution after cropping.

I shoot 16:9 all the time, with whatever lens I choose... usually .7x
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 09:23 AM   #20
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Terott
I'm confused by your answer... I'm speaking about the 16:9 anamorphic mode which your VX-2000 & PD-170 are capable of shooting in right out of the box - no adaptors required. Even in anamorphic mode I think you would net just slightly better horizontal resolution after cropping.

I shoot 16:9 all the time, with whatever lens I choose... usually .7x
I've heard better results are yeilded by simple reformatting the 4:3 image for 16:9 in post rather than using the in-camera 16:9 setting on the Sony's.

I've never tested both to see if this rumor is true.
Old October 15th, 2005, 08:33 PM   #21
Major Player

Amazing work Glen.

I always draw a lot from yours.
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques