Another Highlight Vignette to share at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 13th, 2005, 11:00 AM   #1
Wrangler

Another Highlight Vignette to share

link removed
Old October 13th, 2005, 11:14 AM   #2
Major Player

brilliant audio layering and moving camera tech - as ussual!
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 11:18 AM   #3
Major Player

Glen,

Well done, the music, voice audio (iriver is clean), transisitons all well put together.

How long did this edit take, and what camera did you use? I would imagine you have a steadicam??

All in all it's well done.

Btw How's the website coming?
Dante Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 11:25 AM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Waters
Glen,

Well done, the music, voice audio (iriver is clean), transisitons all well put together.

How long did this edit take, and what camera did you use? I would imagine you have a steadicam??

All in all it's well done.

Btw How's the website coming?
I'm very pleased with the results yeilded from a simple iRiver 790 and inexpensive Azden lapel mic.

I own a glidecam 4000 pro but I didn't use it in any shots for this piece. I primarily find myself using the glidecam during dance sequences at the reception.

The edit took a bit longer than usual and "usual" IS long. Probably close to the 10 hour mark. Possibly made longer because my work on it spawned 3-4 nights. I'm not doing this full time yet so I have limited time each evening to edit.

Website? Good question..I'm buying a domian now and attempting to buy my first pick which is owned by someone else but isn't utilized. Let's hope the owner is: 1) Willing to sell and 2) Willing to sell at a reasonable price
Old October 13th, 2005, 11:39 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott
I'm very pleased with the results yeilded from a simple iRiver 790 and inexpensive Azden lapel mic.

I own a glidecam 4000 pro but I didn't use it in any shots for this piece. I primarily find myself using the glidecam during dance sequences at the reception.

The edit took a bit longer than usual and "usual" IS long. Probably close to the 10 hour mark. Possibly made longer because my work on it spawned 3-4 nights. I'm not doing this full time yet so I have limited time each evening to edit.

Website? Good question..I'm buying a domian now and attempting to buy my first pick which is owned by someone else but isn't utilized. Let's hope the owner is: 1) Willing to sell and 2) Willing to sell at a reasonable price

I've had experience with that sort of stuff it would be best to buy your own
let me know if you got your host as yet and also I'm in the NY area so would be a lot easier for us to communicate.
Old October 13th, 2005, 11:45 AM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Waters
I've had experience with that sort of stuff it would be best to buy your own
let me know if you got your host as yet and also I'm in the NY area so would be a lot easier for us to communicate.

Thank you Dante.
Old October 13th, 2005, 12:35 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Amazing work as usual, Mr. Elliott.

That is some smooth and polished magic on display there. The audio was especially sweet. Ear candy at it's finest.

I know you shoot with a DVX, but do you shoot in 60i? Is that a 4:3 frame cropped or 16:9?

Walter
Walter S. Chelliah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 12:46 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter S. Chelliah
Amazing work as usual, Mr. Elliott.

That is some smooth and polished magic on display there. The audio was especially sweet. Ear candy at it's finest.

I know you shoot with a DVX, but do you shoot in 60i? Is that a 4:3 frame cropped or 16:9?

Walter
Thanks Walt. I shoot with all Sony cams (PD-170 and VX2100's). I sold my DVX years ago.

I shoot in 4:3 and crop to 1:85:1 (tighter crop than 16x9).

Btw, I tried viewing your H.264 encoded clip but couldn't. I could have swore I upgraded to the newest version of QT. I hate how they "force" you to install iTunes with it.
Old October 13th, 2005, 12:50 PM   #9

Wedding video

Wow. Top notch stuff. I don't normally check out wedding video posts, but did this one for some reason. I'm glad I did.

I'm curious about the music... sounds familiar.

I know you had more than one camera because another shooter was in one of the scenes. What did you shoot this with, and in what mode?

Lovely stuff. Gives us all a good name. My kudos.

Charles
Old October 13th, 2005, 01:25 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Thanks Walt. I shoot with all Sony cams (PD-170 and VX2100's). I sold my DVX years ago.

Btw, I tried viewing your H.264 encoded clip but couldn't. I could have swore I upgraded to the newest version of QT. I hate how they "force" you to install iTunes with it.
Glen there is a 4:3 setting on the VX2100?
I didn't know that's what I own in fact I should post some stuff for you to view...
Old October 13th, 2005, 01:57 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Glen, I'm currious as to why you don't opt to shoot anamophic 16:9 then crop to 1:85?

Thanks-

Last edited by Craig Terott; October 13th, 2005 at 02:35 PM. Reason: grammar
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 02:05 PM   #12
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Newcomb
Wow. Top notch stuff. I don't normally check out wedding video posts, but did this one for some reason. I'm glad I did.

I'm curious about the music... sounds familiar.

I know you had more than one camera because another shooter was in one of the scenes. What did you shoot this with, and in what mode?

Lovely stuff. Gives us all a good name. My kudos.

Charles
Cameras were PD-170 and 2 VX2100's. Mode was standard. All effects and color correction is performed in post. Thanks.
Old October 13th, 2005, 03:46 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:

Oh no, I was under the impression you were a DVX man. I usually use VX2000's and find them to be the best SD camera for events even though my next purchase may be a DVX100B.

Do you find through cropping you are able to get smoother images and better compositions? This is something I have been considering doing.

You're not missing much if you can't view my clip. I tested it on 3 separate computers using QT 7.0.2 and it seemed to work fine. I also detest the iTunes install. I usually just uninstall it right after as it adds 2 new RAM sucking processes to your task manager.

Walter
Walter S. Chelliah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 04:46 PM   #14
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Terott
Glen, I'm currious as to why you don't opt to shoot anamophic 16:9 then crop to 1:85?

Thanks-
I don't want to deal with the anamorphic adapters. I love the flexability to go stock, .3x, .7x. or .55x on the fly...and I often do (change very often).
Old October 13th, 2005, 04:50 PM   #15
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter S. Chelliah
Oh no, I was under the impression you were a DVX man. I usually use VX2000's and find them to be the best SD camera for events even though my next purchase may be a DVX100B.

Do you find through cropping you are able to get smoother images and better compositions? This is something I have been considering doing.

Walter
I don't know about "smoother images" or "better" compositions....I prefer the "look" of a more rectangular aspect ratio. Maybe the many years of watching feature films rubbed off on me. Oddly enough I don't compose with a crop in mind. I shoot my 4:3 footage like it's going to be displayed at full 4:3 w/o crop. This only becomes a problem when I do a really tight shot of the bride and groom- where just their faces are in the frame. When I go to crop some of their heads have to get cut off. I don't mind cutting off the top of their head but hate cutting off the chin. Usually I don't frame that tight and adding the crop allows me a great ability to adjust my composition in post...and animate and fake some vertical camera moves.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques