Fish eye lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 27th, 2015, 03:09 PM   #1
Major Player

Fish eye lens

I would like to start using my fish eye lens for my weddings. I only want a few shots because I do not want to over do the effect. I have a 14mm on a full frame body. I was thinking of getting video of the inside and outside of churches. What have you captured with a fish eye regarding weddings?
Jeff Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 07:00 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Fish eye lens

I use my 14mm for architecture shots and arcing shots (well as close as you can get on a slider) of the cake as I can get the whole cake and knife and bouquets in.

I also use it on my Merlin steadicam sometimes

P
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 08:45 AM   #3
Major Player

Cupid shuffle with a glidecam;)
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 09:44 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I prefer to use it for larger buildings, like if I want to have the entire venue in one shot or maybe inside the venue to get a total shot. I also have used it in very tight spaces when I wanted to shoot the wedding dress before the bride had put it on.

I bhought a samyang 7,5mm for m4/3 for that reason but I"m going to sell it again, it deforms quite bad and is a lot softer then my panasonic lenses. I was thinking of getting the olympus 9-18 or the pana 7 to 14 zoom as they have a much more useful range.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015, 02:34 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for the suggestions. I too was thinking of churches and inside the church. I just received my Bower 14mm 2.5 and used it this weekend. Here is what I got :
they are on sale at B and H for Canons $259
Old March 2nd, 2015, 03:46 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I recall seeing fisheye lens used by someone with very nice shots of the exterior of church shooting upwards from close to the church, shots of the door, and shots of the interior as well.

A fisheye is fun, had one but didn't use it much. Not to be negative in any way, but personally I think of it as a dated look, since the current trend is toward more natural looks in photo and video, but in the right hands I'm sure it can still produce some useful shots.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 05:07 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Does it have to be a fisheye, or can it be a rectilinear wide angle?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015, 05:27 PM   #8
Major Player

My wide angle is a fish eye on my full frame. I would more than likely only use 1 shot. It is always nice to have a different tool in your belt.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 07:48 PM   #9
Major Player

I shoot with a Canon C100 (1.5 crop factor) and at some point I'd like to get a lens that can provide a slight fisheye look (really more of nice very wide angle look with a little distortion). I've read that the Canon 14mm Rectilinear is one of the best you can buy, but it's also pretty expensive for something I'd only use every so often. Does anyone have a recommendation of a very wide EF zoom or prime that would give something "close" to the 14mm but closer to $600-800? I would probably use this on a stabilizer and slider mostly, and then at times on a tripod to get some interesting pans and tilts.
Michael Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2015, 02:42 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Michael: check out the Tamron 11-16mm. It's an EF-S lens (for crop sensored cameras) however if you're only gonna be using it on the C100 then it's perfect considering that it's cheaper and wider than 14mm alternatives. Canon also have the (rather) new EF-S 10-18mm which seems pretty good for its price.
Malcolm Debono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2015, 06:44 AM   #11
Trustee

My only regular use has been:

balcony shot to get it all in
dance floor shot
exterior

and I also just use it for maybe one shot of each.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques