DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Do you provide chapters in your documentary wedding film? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/527305-do-you-provide-chapters-your-documentary-wedding-film.html)

Frank Garrod March 16th, 2015 09:21 AM

Do you provide chapters in your documentary wedding film?

Hello we have been providing chapters in our full movie lately the Burns have been failing due to hang ups in the chapter portion. We are considering eliminating the chapter option completely very much added stress. How many of you still provide chapters in your documentary film or do you just have the film start when they hit play it seems it's adding a lot more time to our projects.
Thank you

Jeff Pulera March 16th, 2015 11:58 AM

Re: Do you provide chapters in your documentary wedding film?

Hi Frank,

I can't imagine not offering chapter points on a long-form wedding DVD - client will not want to "fast forward" to find things. That's why we did away with VHS.

I'm not saying you have to have menu buttons for each chapter - can certainly have just a main menu page with a "Play" button, or NO menus at all, and still have chapter points. The viewer can at least jump from event to event with the NEXT or PREVIOUS buttons on remote. I think that's a minimum expectation of a DVD customer, to have some navigation capabilities.

What do you author with?

Thanks

Jeff Harper March 16th, 2015 12:15 PM

I also can't imagine not using chapter markers.

Using DVD Architect I have no issues with chapter markers on blurays. Luckily during editing in Vegas we can precisely place markers and they transfer into DVD Architect perfectly, really easy.

Sorry your having issues, good luck with it.

Roger Gunkel March 16th, 2015 12:25 PM

I also wouldn't supply our documentary weddings without chapter points and menu. I have never had a problem caused by adding chapter points and it only takes me a few minutes to add them.

I use Magix ProX6 and having finished the edit, it is just a matter of quickly scrolling along the timeline adding chapter points with a click of the mouse button. I use a standard menu with a personal picture from the day, which again takes minutes only, then render straight from the timeline to dvd.

Roger

James Redmond March 16th, 2015 12:30 PM

I agree with Jeff, it is easy to mark the chapter points in Sony Vegas and they transfer over when using DVD Architect. I almost always have chapter marks for the clients so they could easily get to the section they want. Good luck, James

James Manford March 16th, 2015 12:54 PM

Ever since using DVD Architect and Sony Vegas, chapters etc work seamlessly.

I wouldn't be able to vouch for any other program. It's unfortunate you are having issues.

Frank Garrod March 16th, 2015 02:15 PM

We edit in Pinnacle studio 18 64 bit we use verbatim DVD + R DL .... Any advice on what others use?

Chris Harding March 16th, 2015 05:52 PM

Hi Frank

Maybe look at your media? DVD+R disks are often non compatible with a lot of players so the menus often don't even work. We stick to normal disks and split the wedding into two disk sets (higher perceived value) and only supply out on DVD -R blanks.

Chris

Frank Garrod March 16th, 2015 06:27 PM

Thank you for your help!

Roger Gunkel March 17th, 2015 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1879813)
Hi Frank

Maybe look at your media? DVD+R disks are often non compatible with a lot of players so the menus often don't even work. We stick to normal disks and split the wedding into two disk sets (higher perceived value) and only supply out on DVD -R blanks.

Chris

+1 We also only supply on dvd- discs, using two if particularly long. Haven't had a playback problem for a very long time.

Roger

Chris Harding March 17th, 2015 06:36 AM

I once was "bullied" by my supplier to try their home brand disks made by Laser..what a disaster!! I spent weeks running around replacing copies to brides!!

Buy decent media even if it's a little extra ..I find that with my LG burners on my machines, LG disks (-r) are the most compatible and work perfectly on every machine ..something to do with the ROM code printed into blank media ... unfortunately there is a burner/media/player relationship for compatibility so when you find one stick with it!!

+R disks I think were brought out by Pioneer so often give hassles on older players but the really cheap Chinese players seem to play any combination.

Jeff Harper March 17th, 2015 06:56 AM

Frank, I was thinking about your problem. I suggest you consider that your burner might be the culprit!

When I have a burner that goes bad it begins with relatively minor issues and bad burns. When I start producing bad discs I usually replace my burner.

On a related note, I had a duplicator that drove me crazy because two of the three burners were bad, they came that way from the company and I blamed the media because the duplicator was new. They could read properly but they produced coasters. I replaced the drives and all was well.