Transporting Movi (or similar gimbal) for wedding at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 17th, 2015, 04:29 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Transporting Movi (or similar gimbal) for wedding

I'm deeply interested in investing in a Movi M5, however the only thing that's bothering me is the size of the bundled travel case. Is there anyone who's using it (or any similar gimbal) and has found a better way of storing it, ideally without disassembling it?
Malcolm Debono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2015, 04:49 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Transporting Movi (or similar gimbal) for wedding

If size is an import factor you might want to consider something like a nebula 4000?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2015, 05:45 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm using an A7S so I'd like to have the option of mounting my Shogun when needed to record 4K. I'm not excluding other gimbals though as I've seen some interesting ones like the gStabi H6, although I'm not quite sure how reliable they may be in comparison with the Movi.
Malcolm Debono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2015, 11:18 AM   #4
Tourist

What kind of traveling are you doing? The pelican case that is included in the bundle is pretty large and not super convenient because you have to break the movi down. For shoots where I'm just traveling across town, especially when I'll be there all day so I won't have to travel with the movi a whole lot, I just fold it up and lay it on the back seat of my car.
Daniel Cutrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2015, 10:18 PM   #5
Major Player

I have a home-made version of the M5 that holds my 5d MKiii very nicely.
To transport it, I have three velcro ties that hold it all flat enough to lay down in the front passenger seat foot well. Just fold the 3 axes up and hold them there with the velcro.
I am looking for a case that isn't too big though, just in case someone gets in the car without knowing the gimbal is on the floor.... CRUNCH!
Chris Luker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2015, 04:20 PM   #6
New Boot

If you can afford it, check out the M5 case by Jason Cases: Pelican Case for Movi M5 (Red Overlay) | Jason Cases

Looks like not only will it fit the entire assembled unit, but you can leave a small camera attached: http://www.jasoncases.com/store/wp-c...5/CM8A0310.jpg

Right now I'm taking mine apart and stuffing it into a backpack. Not ideal at all, but it's the only way I can carry it on a plane. I've been told that you can usually get away with carrying this case on a plane, although it's technically about two inches over.
Nick Piegari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 04:43 PM   #7
Major Player

Have you looked at the G2X from Defy?
Craig McKenna is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques