Drones at weddings. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 9th, 2015, 06:31 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: Drones at weddings.

Let's just say this will be another reason why some venues hate photographers and videographers at weddings.

DJl are targeting the videographers that "absolutely must" buy the latest tech to feel professional.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 06:44 AM   #17
Trustee

For those who haven't stood near one of these when its flying, but along with the noise in general, there is definitely a fear factor, a defensiveness, from anyone not controlling it that is nearby. Specificially anytime it gets louder/closer.

I'd love to see a real, natural version of this idiocy as the B&G flinch and stare at the drone as it flies around. Oh, and the guests watching it instead of the ceremony. And the audio of the pastor yelling over the noise.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 07:47 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Re: Drones at weddings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Tan View Post
Strange how that video was clearly targeted at wedding videographers, but any actual wedding videographer would have a checklist of problems -- intrusive, huge audio problems (the sound of a bee swarm echoing through the church), lowlight problems, not enough space in many churches, battery wouldn't last the ceremony, he seems to be using it as his sole camera, no videographer is going to be casually sitting in the pews operating a camera remotely, no priest or church would sign off on it, potentially breaks the law by flying too close to people...

A while back, I started a thread about using multiple cameras in the aisle to get different shots simultaneously, and someone sarcastically replied, "Why not have a quadcopter hovering over their hands for the ring shot as well?" or something like that. Well, maybe DJI searched for the keyword and stumbled on the thread! Be careful what you wish for...
So few guests as well - not a real wedding?
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 07:51 AM   #19
Inner Circle

When I decided (a few years back) to try out a quadracopter I was pretty concerned just being outside with it and it without any reason (or pilot error) come swooping down on me with 4 rotating props so I could imagine how a B&G would feel. If this is advertising then it's downright irresponsible !! By all means do a flyover when a reception venue is deserted but with people around it's just plain crazy ..especially if some video guy decides to actually try it!! AFAIK our rules are something like the drone must be no lower than 25 metres (about 100') so if something goes wrong at least the pilot could take evasive action!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 07:59 AM   #20
Inner Circle

I'm sure we've all seen this

Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 02:05 PM   #21
Regular Crew

In addition to all of the logistical issues, it is also currently illegal in the states to use a drone for commercial purposes.
I have a drone, but I will not use it for weddings for every single reason listed, let alone the legal ramifications.
Ian Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 03:04 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Atkins View Post
In addition to all of the logistical issues, it is also currently illegal in the states to use a drone for commercial purposes.
I have a drone, but I will not use it for weddings for every single reason listed, let alone the legal ramifications.
FAA wouldn't have any jurisdiction indoors. Your biggest risk is liability for when the bride loses her ring finger. Remember to put it in a wet towel for transport to the hospital.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 03:51 PM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Michael View Post
FAA wouldn't have any jurisdiction indoors. Your biggest risk is liability for when the bride loses her ring finger. Remember to put it in a wet towel for transport to the hospital.
LOL

Remember, folks, a waiver of liability doesn't protect you from your own negligence!

http://rainiernew.wpengine.com/yurts...now_banner.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Drones at weddings.-the_more_you_know_banner.jpg  
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 07:29 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Unless they've developed a totally silent mode, this would be WAAAAAAY more annoying than SLR "mirror slap".... maybe they've figured out a way to make it nearly silent?

The video does say they have built in collision avoidance, so there's some advanced features... an "AI" that avoids human stupidity would be a handy feature...

What about battery life?? These don't just stay airborne indefinitely, and if a ceremony is 20-30 minutes, it could get a bit awkward... hold the service while I land and refuel...

Not sure what material these are using for rotor/prop blades, but some use foam or pretty soft plastic, not too likely to cause decapitation or other fatal wounding, and on the little "toys" I've used, once the throttle is cut, the blades stop pretty quickly and controlled free fall would be a concern.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 11:38 PM   #25
Major Player

Actually, the distinction for the FAA is not "indoors" vs. "out doors" but rather "hobby" vs. "commercial". The proposed FAA rules aside, jurisdiction is with common sense and those that have it vs. those that don't.
Tim Paynter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 06:21 PM   #26
Regular Crew

True that! Unfortunately, there are many in our field that lack common sense, whether or not they own a drone. It's an uphill battle for us legitimately responsible flyers.

I have never seen that drone/groom collision footage, but that was absolutely horrific.
What gets me the most is that the videographer obviously thought it was okay to post that! Unless the footage was later retained by the groom's attorney for the resulting personally injury lawsuit.
Ian Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 08:16 PM   #27
Major Player

I showed the bride strike video to my best friend and he is convinced the wedding drone strike was staged. Whether it was or was not staged, sooner or later, as Ian notes, some cat is going to make the same mistake, which gives us all a bad name.

Seems the drone video in the church was aimed at the guy who dreams of being a wedding videographer but does not have the personal experience to spot the problems in advance. The voices of experience on this board have articulated those problems well, like the noise and the danger.
Tim Paynter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2015, 08:40 AM   #28
Major Player

I don't think a swarm of bees noise would be welcome at a wedding, I have taken some stock aerial footage of the outside of venues in my area that i can include in a video if i want, it's pretty good for an establishing shot. I must say that the specs on the new Phantom are a big improvement on the one I have.
Old April 12th, 2015, 12:49 PM   #29
New Boot

It would take just one multirotor crashing into a group of seated guests to make the news far and wide and ignite another firestorm against drones. I love the idea of flying a drone through an long, empty, set-up reception hall to capture the décor, but in a ceremony venue packed with people? Seems reckless and unnecessary IMHO.

John

Summerfield Films | Toronto Wedding Videographers
John Summerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2015, 11:18 PM   #30
Wrangler

So you've never seen wedding moments re-enacted for the photographer? Of course this wouldn't "fly" during the actual ceremony. The drone shot can be just another staged shot after the fact. But it would still be a risky shot nonetheless. Adventurous couples might want something like this.

Just saying...
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques