DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Drones at weddings. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/527698-drones-weddings.html)

Kyle Root April 8th, 2015 02:32 PM

Drones at weddings.

So, I'm watching the new DJI Phantom 3 demo videos and such... and on this one at the 2:50 Mark, they are clearly touting the brand new indoor functionality of the drones... by showing it in use at an indoor church wedding, hovering seemingly just a few feet from the couple on stage.

Yeah... I see that going over real well.

I'm not seeing any mention of a "silent operating" mode - but maybe that's later in this 7 minute presentation.

Noa Put April 8th, 2015 04:29 PM

Re: Drones at weddings.

Lol, you mean below video? This was hilarious, especially the part where he is shooting the couples first kiss from like 20 cm away, or when he hovered just above the priest during the ceremony.

Adrian Tan April 8th, 2015 04:42 PM

Re: Drones at weddings

Strange how that video was clearly targeted at wedding videographers, but any actual wedding videographer would have a checklist of problems -- intrusive, huge audio problems (the sound of a bee swarm echoing through the church), lowlight problems, not enough space in many churches, battery wouldn't last the ceremony, he seems to be using it as his sole camera, no videographer is going to be casually sitting in the pews operating a camera remotely, no priest or church would sign off on it, potentially breaks the law by flying too close to people...

A while back, I started a thread about using multiple cameras in the aisle to get different shots simultaneously, and someone sarcastically replied, "Why not have a quadcopter hovering over their hands for the ring shot as well?" or something like that. Well, maybe DJI searched for the keyword and stumbled on the thread! Be careful what you wish for...

Kyle Root April 8th, 2015 05:21 PM

I did not see that YT video, this is the one I saw.

Tim Paynter April 8th, 2015 10:54 PM

None of these shots would pass muster with the new FAA regs requiring separation between the unit and people, along with the safe operation provisions originally likely targeted at areal stunts but which could be as easily applied to "areal stunts around chandeliers".

Peter Rush April 9th, 2015 01:40 AM

Hah - I've just had a conversation with a vicar who clearly says only one unmanned camera in the church - what are my chances of getting a drone in!!!

Noa Put April 9th, 2015 01:59 AM

You could sit outside and fly the drone inside, from he vicar's perspective it would be a unmanned camera, he didn't say anything about not allowing a flying camera...:)

Quote:

None of these shots would pass muster with the new FAA regs
You don't even have to apply FAA rules here, just the thought of a drone circling the couple, doing closeups or hovering just above the priest and guests during a religious ceremony is the most ridiculous thing you can think of, maybe in the country where the DJI is produced this can be done but where I live that would be unthinkable to perform in a church. Even if it would be allowed, the high pitch buzzing of the rotors would a very disturbing factor in a location where you can here a pin drop.

Nigel Barker April 9th, 2015 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Paynter (Post 1882591)
None of these shots would pass muster with the new FAA regs requiring separation between the unit and people, along with the safe operation provisions originally likely targeted at areal stunts but which could be as easily applied to "areal stunts around chandeliers".

In the UK the CAA does not have any jurisdiction over flying drones indoors & I suspect the same is true of the FAA in the US.

Noa Put April 9th, 2015 02:07 AM

In Belgium the new law that will go into effect later this year should allow this kind of flight if the owner of the property you use it on approves it, even for hobbyists, so actually all attending guests could bring their own drones with them. These drones are going to be the new smartphones, imagine no people standing up anymore blocking your view when they try to get a shot of the couple, they can just use their drone instead and get real close without having to leave their seats.

James Manford April 9th, 2015 02:18 AM

So this is where wedding videography is heading ... robots to replace the conventional camera man. You can't deny those aerial shots look great. It would only be ideal for situations where the vicar / bride groom are happy with a constant buzzing hovering drone in their midst. So not all weddings.

Is it worth going down the drone / flying avenue ??

Nigel Barker April 9th, 2015 02:36 AM

Balloons or an airship would be far less intrusive. I doubt that many would enjoy their wedding with the background noise of an angry swarm of bees.

Noa Put April 9th, 2015 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Manford (Post 1882609)
Is it worth going down the drone / flying avenue ??

The number of usable shots you could make with such a drone are very limited, you could fly over a venue a couple of times or use it on a photoshoot but other then that it's yet another piece of gear you have to drag along during the day. I remember seeing a video from Joe Simon where he used a drone to follow the family in several tuk tuk's in Guatemala when they drove from their home to the church which looked pretty awesome but that kind of scenery you don't get to see often.

Nigel Barker April 9th, 2015 03:34 AM

If there are venues that you regularly shoot at it would be worthwhile shooting some stock footage of aerial views for inclusion in multiple projects.

James Manford April 9th, 2015 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1882618)
The number of usable shots you could make with such a drone are very limited, you could fly over a venue a couple of times or use it on a photoshoot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Barker (Post 1882621)
If there are venues that you regularly shoot at it would be worthwhile shooting some stock footage of aerial views for inclusion in multiple projects.

Agreed.

Ideal for landscape / outdoor shots. But unless you're a business operating as a 2-3 man team it's not feasible dragging it along among all the other gear we already have to take with us.

Malcolm Debono April 9th, 2015 05:55 AM

Nearly fell off my chair as soon as I saw that shot from inside the church. I mean, really? Yes it looks lovely, but the cons heavily outweigh the pros here (noise, intrusion, higher risks, etc.).

Not sure what DJI have been thinking since a lot of wedding videographers already have a lot of restrictions filming ceremonies in many different countries.