Recommended shoes? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 11th, 2015, 01:29 AM   #1
Trustee

Recommended shoes?

What shoes are you wearing to weddings?

Main things I've found: laceless shoes help, in case you need to remove them fast to stand on beds or chairs; soft soled is far better for steadicam.

Edit: another thing I've found is that I run a lot during weddings. I'm running with equipment from car to ceremony. I'm running around photoshoot trying to get different angles before the photographer changes the setup. With hard-soled shoes, there's a definite risk of spraining your ankle, because when you're running you often don't contact the ground flat, but at an angle, and the hard sole doesn't balance this way, but tends to twists your foot over. Misstep slightly, or misjudge where you're putting your weight, and you'll be limping for the next two weeks.

Last edited by Adrian Tan; April 11th, 2015 at 08:52 PM. Reason: more info
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 08:30 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Recommended shoes?

Ugh. Haven't found one right now that I love, but I know when I do, I'll buy several of the same pair to have on hand so I don't have to search for a long time.

Long time ago, it was Rockports for walking, Bostonians for my dress shoe.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 06:15 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Clarks makes some very comfortable "Unstructured" shoes. I always wear black shoes to weddings but some which are deliberately too shiny because I am just going to scuff them up. These "unstructured" shoes have tons of ventilation and a lot of nice support. I hurt a lot less when I get back after wearing these. You can also get versions with our without laces.
Ian Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 08:39 PM   #4
Inner Circle

What I call "slip on shoes" (laceless) don't really give you any decent support and you are on your feet for at least 8 hours at a wedding. I usually try to find lace ups that look smart enough for the reception and still have a decent non slip sole ... shiny leather soles and stedicams don't mix!!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2015, 03:06 AM   #5
Trustee

not sure if I can supply this link:

[LPT] Servers, chefs, teachers, retail people, et.al.: How to properly choose your shoes for work, from a shoe salesman who's probably done your job before : LifeProTips

in summary - Dansko, Birkenstock, and Naot

I have worn Birkenstock for over 10 years now - clogs, shoes & sandals - nothing else
Old April 12th, 2015, 03:50 AM   #6
Trustee

I think my updated criteria list goes:

-- have to look at least a little dressy for weddings; no sneakers
-- black, to blend in
-- has to have grip, or you'll be sliding around the dance floor
-- heel can't be separate piece from rest of sole, or you can't run around without spraining your ankle, plus steadicam work is jerkier, because you can't roll your foot down to take gentle steps
-- sole should be flexible for same reason
-- I'm still a big fan of slip ons vs laces. This is just my weird practices, but I often take my shoes off when going to people's houses; it's an Asian/Indian thing especially, and also a mosque/Indian temple thing. I feel more mobile running around as well. And I'll obviously take shoes off for standing on beds, or on chairs at reception. Plus, I don't want to be rushing out of bride's to ceremony and have to faff about with laces.
-- re what sort of shoe is best for your feet, I have no idea! Manufacturers make this claim or that claim. I have no real way of sorting out truth from BS.

I think the general style I'm going for is something called "loafers". Pretty much all the manufacturers mentioned above make shoes in this style.

I guess, ultimately, shoes are one of those things you really should go to a store and physically try out, rather than do 1-click shopping for at Amazon. Paul's article talks about going to a reputable shoe store and consulting an expert; since these things are potentially the best piece of equipment you can buy, I guess it's worth the bother...
Old April 12th, 2015, 05:41 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I prefer Johnson and Murphy shoes. After they break in they are extremely comfortable and are very dressy.
Old April 12th, 2015, 07:05 AM   #8
Major Player

Adrian sounds like you're describing something like this:

Comfortable Dress Shoes For Men - Shop Men's Dress Shoes | Hush Puppies
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2015, 10:31 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I used to wear CAT boots but they were too heavy and made my feet ache - I now wear these Clarks boots - nice ankle support and not too heavy - really comfy :) I'm not too fussed about dressy as they get mucky early on after I've run around church gardens getting establishing shots.

Mens Casual Boots - Rockie Hi GTX in Black Waterproof from Clarks shoes
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2015, 01:09 PM   #10
New Boot

I bought these Merrell Mocs for wedding videography during all seasons but summer as they're waterproof and offer great traction and support from the wedding ceremony to gliding in the park, gardens, wherever.

Men - Shiver Moc 2 Waterproof - Black | Merrell

My other go to shoes are Doc Martin's. Solid, conservative looking.

Men's Shoes | Official Dr Martens Store - US

Standing on your feet for 12+ hours during the wedding day is in my opinion tough in any shoes, Im thinking of trying gel inserts this season to see if that helps. Orthotics ie custom made shoes/inserts might be the answer as well...

John

Summerfield Films | Toronto Wedding Videographers
John Summerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2015, 07:22 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I've tried all kinds of different shoes from Rockports to nice black Nikes. For most of the corporate stuff or AV work I was always partial to wearing some sort of walking shoe, mostly Nikes, in black of course if for no other reason than I could go to a discount place and buy 2 pair for less than one at a fancy shoe place. For most social events I would wear something like my Rockports at the preceremony, ceremony and post ceremony at sometime before the reception started I would change shoes to the Nike type walkers. I did this for a couple of reasons. 1) it gave my feet a chance to breath for a few minutes before putting on the other shoes and 2) I felt better during the reception with the walker type shoes on. Of course my feet were in pretty bad condition by the time I retired from shooting and honestly it didn't matter what I wore on my feet. AAMOF the last 2 weddings I did, I wore a pair of what looked like very casual slip ons when in fact they were really dressy house slippers. My feet still hurt me before the end of the job but not quite as bad and no one noticed since no one I ever saw was looking at my feet.
Old April 12th, 2015, 08:15 PM   #12
Trustee

Really interested in John's suggestion of Shiver Moc 2 Waterproof, but going to try Dr Scholl Bounce Loafers, just on the basis that they're cheaper and seem lighter. Will try the Shiver Moc 2 next time.

Jim, those Hush Puppies shoes look good, but the separate heel piece is a deal breaker for me. Can't run with a heel, and I think it really does make a difference to steadicam operating, with a lighter, non-vested stabiliser anyway, to have the entire sole as one flat surface.
Attached Images

Old April 12th, 2015, 08:34 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Tan View Post
Can't run with a heel...
I hear ya.
Attached Thumbnails
Recommended shoes?-teapartyfeet1275.jpg  
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2015, 05:15 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Nice toenail job Jim ..did you do them yourself? I know why female photogs run around in flat shoes!!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2015, 05:48 AM   #15
Major Player

Thanks Chris. :-)
Jim Michael is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques