DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   What new product are you most excited about? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/527757-what-new-product-you-most-excited-about.html)

Adrian Tan April 11th, 2015 04:43 PM

What new product are you most excited about?

It's early days yet, but the one that's most intrigued me so far is SteadXP: News Shooter | Is it a gimbal? is it a Steadicam? no its SteadXP – amazing sensor and software based stabilisation shown working with Panasonic GH4

What this could potentially mean is a big speed increase and no more support gear! Reduced amounts anyway. Handheld instead of steadicam or slider. Or even if you still use it all, you'll get better results.

Coming in second might be the new character animator and morph cut in CC, though, realistically, I'd use either once in a blue moon.

Craig McKenna April 13th, 2015 06:33 PM

Re: What new product are you most excited about?

I have read about that technology! Exciting!

I am most interested in the g2x gimbal from Defy, or the new Ronin M.

Noa Put April 14th, 2015 01:51 AM

Yet another advantage of 4K in combination with that steadyxp box, the result that box is capable off is mind-boggling, it almost looks like a gimbal replacement, perfect when you want to travel light.

John Nantz April 14th, 2015 09:59 AM

Noa - yeah, that is a very interesting item.

This may be just the thing I need for taking videos from a sailboat. When I used my Glidecam 2000 there was a problem with the system being too large for the comparatively confined space of the cockpit.

Watched a video at
and for the examples that were there the SteadXP (also seen it spelled SteadyXP) fit the situation perfectly. Examples being taking a video from a bike or skateboard. I don't skateboard but I do ride a bike and just a couple weeks ago made a video of my daily bike run - one hand on the cam and the other on the handlebar. Not easy to shift gears.

Next thing is to find out what it sells for.

Edit: One question would be how it handles the frames. When Stabilization is used with FCPX in post the frame size can be diminished as the edges are truncated in order to make the video appear smooth. So, does this do something similar? If so, any large movements could cause problems.
Also, what about jello? The jello problem can also occur with stabilization in post but since this uses an internal light (my understanding) then perhaps there would never be a jello problem. That would be really nice.

Adrian Tan April 16th, 2015 05:51 AM

Also quite interested in that Solo drone and the Ronin M. And that Redrock Halo product looks fantastic.

Of course, I don't think I'll buy any of these things (I'm happy with my steadicam and my Phantom Vision 2 for the time bring). But still, it's all exciting stuff.

What I'm not that excited by -- (1) all the LED stuff (because I can't shake the feeling that, for events, my existing LEDs are fine, and for controlled shoots old-fashioned tungsten lights are better); (2) all the new cameras (I guess it doesn't feel to me like image quality has significantly advanced -- last year's crop is still more than adequate for most applications -- want slow mo, get an FS700; want low-light, get an a7s; want 4K, go for a GH4).

Anthony Lelli April 16th, 2015 02:47 PM

yes, stabilization definitely is what I look for every day.
actually what I'd like to see is a shoulder camera with pictures and price like the sony X70, but on my shoulder instead of the Frankenstein stuff to add (something easy to put on a table to rest a little : has been invented before.. called "shoulder cameras" ! ).
Right now shoulder cameras (the real ones) are out of my price range (and weight), also considering that we need to buy two of everything (in this line of work).

I actually like the pictures out of the pana ac8 , but no XLR and no remote -lanc- , LOL there is ALWAYS something missing in the lower price stuff (in purpose I'd guess?) if you look at their marketing (all of them) in order to get the two simple things like XLR and remote on decent pictures (as good as a cell phone at least) you have to spend 10 times more. has always been like that in video after all.