reel (yea... right) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 16th, 2005, 12:32 AM   #1
Major Player

Demo reel

Just putting together my demo reel... Would like some criticism and ideas...
It's not yet finished...

Thanks

clip: http://tinyurl.com/av6on

Last edited by Dante Waters; October 16th, 2005 at 11:50 AM.
Dante Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 11:51 AM   #2
Major Player

no one was intrested in anything they saw...
Old October 16th, 2005, 12:13 PM   #3
Wrangler

Sorry, Dante, sometimes threads get buried. :)

I only saw part of it because Quicktime caused my Explorer to shut down, but what I did notice was this:

Your closeups of the little girl and the piano are really nice. If this is for a reel, however, you might want to choose some footage that doesn't have as much camera shake. As for the fellow in the chair, same as with the girl at the piano--I really like the quality of the images you're getting. Looks good!

I know it's not finished yet so you probably don't need this extra opinion, but it took a long time to fade up and it seemed like there was lots of black between clips. You could be showing off your skills more with some of that time! :)
Old October 16th, 2005, 12:27 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton
Sorry, Dante, sometimes threads get buried. :)

I only saw part of it because Quicktime caused my Explorer to shut down, but what I did notice was this:

Your closeups of the little girl and the piano are really nice. If this is for a reel, however, you might want to choose some footage that doesn't have as much camera shake. As for the fellow in the chair, same as with the girl at the piano--I really like the quality of the images you're getting. Looks good!

I know it's not finished yet so you probably don't need this extra opinion, but it took a long time to fade up and it seemed like there was lots of black between clips. You could be showing off your skills more with some of that time! :)
Thank you... so you did see a lot of camera shake in the 1st few moment of footage?? What about the music?
Old October 16th, 2005, 01:18 PM   #5
Wrangler

Oh yeah! I forgot about the music! I loved it in the beginning, then kind of didn't notice after the piano clips because I got so busy watching (which is good, isn't it?). :) I would go back and watch again to comment further but it would just shut me down again.

About the camera shake, I don't know what your potential clients would think, but I'm pretty sensitive to it. In a high energy situation it might not be as noticeable, but with that cute little girl at the piano it seems to call for smooth motion.

I'd like to reiterate that your closeups are very nice--good angles, as I recall.
Old October 18th, 2005, 08:37 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton
About the camera shake, I don't know what your potential clients would think, but I'm pretty sensitive to it. In a high energy situation it might not be as noticeable, but with that cute little girl at the piano it seems to call for smooth motion.

I'd like to reiterate that your closeups are very nice--good angles, as I recall.
Thanks for your comment they were most helpful, I'll take them into count the next time I have closeups of such. At anyrate here's my most recent reel... with a few changes sans the ending and titles...

http://tinyurl.com/9exwa
Old October 18th, 2005, 11:34 PM   #7
Wrangler

I wish someone else would take a look and comment. I got your latest reel to play, but it starts glitching on me half way through (my PC to blame). But here's what I think about what I'm seeing: I LIKE IT.

Those first few cuts of the guy in the chair went a bit fast for my taste, but someone else might not think so.

Dante, it's my opinion that you've got a very good eye, and that you make interesting video look even more interesting/compelling by your angles and shot selections. (I'll say if for a third time: I love your close-ups!!) You show how versatile you are--you can effectively shoot documentaries, movies, or events. You integrate a few of your effects skills in this reel--just the right amount, which is good.

If you keep getting more smooth with your shooting, I have no doubt you'll end up with some very happy clients.

Nice job!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques