Lily, your personal unmanned drone at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 13th, 2015, 04:40 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Lily, your personal unmanned drone

I just came across below video on dvxuser, that would be cool, attach the tracking device on the groom when you are at the photoshoot, start up the drone, select a follow mode, trow the thing away and let it do it's job. Now you can fly a drone with your eyes closed, only hope it won't come across some powerlines or other obstacles on the way.

Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 05:15 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Lily, your personal unmanned drone

What next :) ...that was class.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 07:22 AM   #3
Trustee

Some other will do follow modes - I know my Iris+ will, I'd just use my phone as the follow device. However, the ease of flight, transport, and the waterproof part make this very tempting as a 2nd drone. Does't look like it will do regular flying.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 07:33 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Beware...

Photographer faces suspended jail term for 'flying drone over Disneyland Paris' | Daily Mail Online
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 03:32 PM   #5
Inner Circle

A great idea totally ignoring the requirements of safety and legality. In the UK it wouldn't meet any of the requirements for flying an unmanned airborne machine. In addition, what is to prevent it colliding with trees, cables, poles, higher ground, people at a higher level etc etc. - onboard collision avoidance? I don't think so at that price!

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 04:10 PM   #6
Major Player

The Solo looks better... able to scan the area and make its own flight path, whilst also working with GoPro to create their controllers etc to be able to modify settings and even charge the GoPro if I remember correctly. The best part is the ability to draw the flight path on the screen and then concentrate on controlling the movement of the camera on its own...

Nevertheless, they're doing a nice cheap price if you pre-order the Lily! Does look great though!
Craig McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2015, 02:16 PM   #7
Trustee

So, you seemingly throw it in the air to activate it, and the demo video also shows the Lily landing on someone's hand.

Makes me curious: what happens if your hand or your face gets struck by those propellers? Or are they weak enough that they won't hurt you?
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2015, 07:57 PM   #8
Inner Circle

The blades on these little multi rotor drones are often soft plastic or even foam - they are not whirling stainless steel "blades of death". I know of one death from a single rotor due to operator error (AKA "Darwin award"), but most of the sensationalist reporting about hazards to life and limb are overstated, IMO.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2015, 03:58 AM   #9
Inner Circle

The micro copters have fairly flimsy blades, but anything Phantom sized or above will have rigid plastic blades or even carbon fibre ones. Either can give you a nasty cut if not treated with respect.

I normally hand retrieve my Phantom by putting it in a stable hover then walking over to it and holding the landing skid, I never fly it right up to me. I also feel quite strongly that a quad losing control and dropping under power several hundred feet onto someone's head could result in a very nasty injury, which is why observing flying safety rules is vital. The Lily doesn't enable the operator to follow safety rules as far as I can see.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2015, 08:07 AM   #10
Major Player

i love the way they threw it in the water and it just flew straight out of it... i'm sure someone will come up with a drone that can submerge and fly up into the air, like something out of a Bond movie.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques