DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Longest time spend on a wedding day (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/528425-longest-time-spend-wedding-day.html)

Noa Put May 16th, 2015 04:21 AM

Longest time spend on a wedding day

Eventhough I have decided not to accept any new weddings I still have to try to finish the ones I had booked for this year, as if it's not bad enough to have to do this with a bad back it seems I also have some weddings on my agenda that are the toughest ones I have to deal with since I started my career.

I had to start at the brides place at 06:30 in the morning to shoot brideprep, because she lived 2 hours drive from my place and because I didn't want to get up in the middle of the night and then spend my time in traffic jams on a Friday morning I decided to sleep over at a B&B the night before nearby her place so it only took me 15 minutes to get there.

The couple also had payed to do some guest interviews, something I stopped doing a year ago but they booked me 2 years ago when I was still that stupid to offer this, so I had to stay one hour after the first dance to do that part which takes a hour.

The problem was their friends had been doing several acts that seemed to have no end between meals which made the first dance start at 1 in the night, I shot some regular dancing after that before I set up everything in a separate room to record the interviews.

I only started to pack up everything around 02:45 because people would keep coming after the agreed 1 hour and since those included the couple's parents I couldn't say no to that (but they won't be saying no to the extra hours I charge extra for this :)), when I said goodbye to the couple and when I was sitting in my car it was 3 at night, then add a 2 hour drive and a half hour of sleep when I stopped over at a gasstation because I felt I was falling asleep while driving I got home 05:30, dragged my gear inside and was in bed at 6 in the morning.

I think this must be a record for longest time spend on a wedding, anyone else that can challenge my record? :)

Steve Bleasdale May 16th, 2015 06:36 AM

Re: Longest time spend on a wedding day

Phew Noa that's hard.
I booked a Jewish wedding in Spain four years ago, they really got a good deal from me. Arrived in the morning at 8 am worked all day without any drinks or food (tight buggers), then just before the speeches she came to me the bride and said we are not cutting the cake till 4 am in the morning and had booked me till 11 pm. Just as the speeches where starting at 8.30 pm a weird mist came in from the sea and as the hotel was right on the beach the bloody speeches where cancelled till later on so i ended up waiting there anyway till 5 am due to the cake and the mist. Phew never again. In the end the movie was great but it was only because i had stayed. They sure got there monies worth. Things we do hey mate... Steve

James Manford May 16th, 2015 07:16 AM

Crazy timings! Only if the client knew.

South asian weddings are normally this long.

A friend I regularly second shoot with. It's not strange to wake up at 4am and come home at 2am. So you have basically worked 22 hours straight.

Andrew Maclaurin May 16th, 2015 12:06 PM

Ouch! 10 -14 hours is the norm here and I end up completely knackered! I have got home at 04.00 in the morning and then spent 50 mins looking for a place to park :( . That life in a city centre.

Colin Rowe May 16th, 2015 03:03 PM

Are you guys on another planet. 12 hours max shooting, and you all know that's a long day. After that its pay for the extra time or I walk

Tim Akin May 16th, 2015 03:28 PM

Dang Noa, that's a long day!

12 hours is it for me and that sometimes feels like 24, that's why I'm giving this up after this year......just don't enjoy it anymore.

Noa Put May 17th, 2015 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin Rowe (Post 1886792)
Are you guys on another planet. 12 hours max shooting, and you all know that's a long day. After that its pay for the extra time or I walk

My current packages are also time limited with extra charge per additional hour, I don't work for free. :)