Slicing fingers on a drone ... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 1st, 2015, 03:07 AM   #1
Trustee

Slicing fingers on a drone ...

Enrique Iglesias's fingers SLICED by drone during Mexico concert | Daily Mail Online

Just read that today. Enrique held a drone and caught his fingers in the propellers but continued performing whilst gushing blood !
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 03:24 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Slicing fingers on a drone ...

what an idiot
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 03:31 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Despite all the new rules and training requirements, I really can't see it long before they get banned for safety reasons. This stupid action (maybe ....... he was briefed about the danger wasn't he?) shows that contact with them can injure. Therefore what could you put on a risk assessment for flying over thousands of people, who often have their arms up in the air? Change of injury? Pretty high? To reduce the risk you'd have to guarantee they won't fall out of the sky, or be accidentally mispilotted into the audience. As this is clearly impossible, at some point venues will ban them. They ban other things with far less risk, don't they!

Hey guys, I've got this idea for a gizmo with sharp fast rotating blades. Let's float one over the audience? Is there any sensible reason to even allow their use indoors - after all, outside, if danger looms, you go UP. You can't do this indoors to get breathing space.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 04:41 AM   #4
Major Player

Apparently he's done this numerous times, before actually injuring himself, but I've never heard of anyone intentionally grabbing a drone to do a selfie/POV shot before? Stupid idea.

I think they have their purpose, but as with planes, things tend to go wrong at some point - particularly in the early days - and planes are subject to rigorous checks before every flight - who checks that drones are still safe to fly? Nobody.

Similarly, I also think they will be banned. It's amazing how long they've lasted when people use them without care and understanding.

Unfortunately, as with most things like this, a select few professionals who use them with due care, consideration and safety, will also be punished for the lack of all three by others.
Craig McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 05:12 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig McKenna View Post

Similarly, I also think they will be banned. It's amazing how long they've lasted when people use them without care and understanding.
That's it isn't it ... I hate the fact any one can just buy one and fly it without due care. Accidents waiting to happen.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 05:23 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Manford View Post
That's it isn't it ... I hate the fact any one can just buy one and fly it without due care. Accidents waiting to happen.
Unfortunately, yeah... I have a relative who loves them - the stunt versions - those really are crazy and dangerous - the speeds they can reach are unreal, and they cost about £30...

Only a matter of time before one becomes a pigeon and goes through the blades of a plane's engine... as soon as that happens, it's game over.
Old June 1st, 2015, 07:21 AM   #7
Inner Circle

[QUOTE=Craig McKenna;1888005]

I think they have their purpose, but as with planes, things tend to go wrong at some point - particularly in the early days - and planes are subject to rigorous checks before every flight - who checks that drones are still safe to fly? Nobody.

/QUOTE]

Light aircraft have a daily inspection before each day's flying, which is carried out by the pilot to check the safety of control cables, fixings, instruments, fluids etc and has to be signed off in the DI book. Anybody flying a quadcopter should do the same thing, checking everything for safety, signs of wear and tear etc. If you have a commercial licence as a few here do, then I believe it is one of the requirements to do a DI and keep a log. I fly my quadcopter for fun, not commercially, but being an ex pilot I do make sure that everything including electronics is functioning properly, both for safety and to protect my investment in it.

Anyone flying over people and in an ecliosed public arena as in the case in this thread, would be ignoring the existing rules and be liable to prosecution in the UK and probably the U.S. even if they had a commercial licence. Things may be different in Mexico though.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 08:11 AM   #8
Major Player

[quote=Roger Gunkel;1888015]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig McKenna View Post

/QUOTE]

Light aircraft have a daily inspection before each day's flying, which is carried out by the pilot to check the safety of control cables, fixings, instruments, fluids etc and has to be signed off in the DI book. Anybody flying a quadcopter should do the same thing, checking everything for safety, signs of wear and tear etc. If you have a commercial licence as a few here do, then I believe it is one of the requirements to do a DI and keep a log. I fly my quadcopter for fun, not commercially, but being an ex pilot I do make sure that everything including electronics is functioning properly, both for safety and to protect my investment in it.

Anyone flying over people and in an ecliosed public arena as in the case in this thread, would be ignoring the existing rules and be liable to prosecution in the UK and probably the U.S. even if they had a commercial licence. Things may be different in Mexico though.

Roger
An ex-pilot! So cool! That's really interesting that licensed drone users are taking the same precautions - I think that's the way to go! I always thought it was, but thought that my thoughts were perhaps OTT.

Are you never going to use your drone for weddings? What stopped you from continuing as a pilot?!
Old June 1st, 2015, 10:07 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Hi Craig, probably a bit off topic, but I spent about 15 years flying gliders, first because I love flying, then qualified as an assistant instructor, then a fully rated instructor teaching cross country flying, aerobatics, and all the associated theory for a number of years. I have about 2000 hours in my log book. My love of gliding took precedence over power flying as I found power too regimented and controlled. Although as an instructor I only needed 3 hours conversion to a power licence, I had many hours as second pilot in power, but just never had any enthusiasm for it compared with the purity and more extreme flying in gliders.

Why did I stop? Primarily because my ex wife hated me flying at the weekends and was totally disinterested, eventually spoiling my enjoyment. Since I remarried, my wife has been trying to get me to take it up again, but I really don't want to have to go back to the basics again., plus age is slowly catching me up. Flying the quad with onboard camera monitored on the ground is good fun though. I would love to use it for weddings, but the cost of getting a commercial operators licence against the likely returns make it not worthwhile for me.

We also have a small sea going motor sailer a and a sailing dinghy, so plenty to keep me involved in life :-)

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 10:43 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel View Post
Hi Craig, probably a bit off topic, but I spent about 15 years flying gliders, first because I love flying, then qualified as an assistant instructor, then a fully rated instructor teaching cross country flying, aerobatics, and all the associated theory for a number of years. I have about 2000 hours in my log book. My love of gliding took precedence over power flying as I found power too regimented and controlled. Although as an instructor I only needed 3 hours conversion to a power licence, I had many hours as second pilot in power, but just never had any enthusiasm for it compared with the purity and more extreme flying in gliders.

Why did I stop? Primarily because my ex wife hated me flying at the weekends and was totally disinterested, eventually spoiling my enjoyment. Since I remarried, my wife has been trying to get me to take it up again, but I really don't want to have to go back to the basics again., plus age is slowly catching me up. Flying the quad with onboard camera monitored on the ground is good fun though. I would love to use it for weddings, but the cost of getting a commercial operators licence against the likely returns make it not worthwhile for me.

We also have a small sea going motor sailer a and a sailing dinghy, so plenty to keep me involved in life :-)

Roger
Off topic - but interesting, the board is more like a family than a strictly ruled thread-based asylum - always think it would be cool to have a mass meet up!

Great that you've found alternatives, and even better that you have someone supporting you to do what you love! Gliders look insanely fun - the take off is harrowing and surprising at the same time from someone who has never experienced it!

Thanks for sharing!
Old June 1st, 2015, 07:13 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I posted some thoughts in the dedicated "drone" fora of DVi....

Tonight's news was that Senior Iglesias was getting "reconstructive surgery" on the hand... so not only was there quite a lot of blood everywhere ("manned UP award" from our NZ contingent?), but it apparently was more serious than originally reported.

I'm guessing Mexico probably doesn't have much regulation, this apparently was a regular part of the "act", so it was being piloted by someone presumably "experienced" with the staging... and since it was a regular part of the staging, presumably Julio had done this many times before without incident.... this time, somehow something went wrong, and a hand met whirring blade (CF blades, I'd guess?)... at least it wan't a "spectator", this time...

There are risks in most things in life, all it takes is a second of inattention!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 07:40 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Hi Roger

I have always thought we have had a similar parallel life experience but you have suddenly soared way ahead (sorry had to use a pun there) We both were musicians, sail dinghy's and ocean going craft and of course video and photography. I never knew you were a qualified glider instructor! Wow ....as people often ask me "Is there anything you haven't tried or done?"

Yep, someone will mess up BIG time with a drone and cause serious injury and bans for the machines will be imposed about flying over people ... It's just waiting to happen !!!

Maybe my idea with a few helium party balloons and a little SJ4000 hanging below if is a safer option ??

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2015, 12:38 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Hi Chris, I think this thread has been hijacked, but just to make you smile I thought I would add that I am also a Black Belt at Shotokan karate, although somewhat doubtful knees have stopped me doing serious training for the last five years. I just love experiencing what life has to offer :-)

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques