Anyone shoot with a Canon 6D? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 9th, 2015, 12:50 PM   #1
New Boot

Anyone shoot with a Canon 6D?

Hi! So I am working on switching over from my Canon XH-A1's over to DSLR and have purchased a Canon 6D. I primarily film weddings. I have 50mm and 75-300mm lenses that came with it, but looking for recommendations on the best all around lens for wedding shooting. I was about to pull the trigger on the EF 24-105mm F/4, but also read the EF 24-70mm F/2.8 might be a good choice.

Any advice? Thanks!
Rebecca Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2015, 04:39 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Anyone shoot with a Canon 6D?

Tamron 24-70 2.8 is brilliant for the camera, sigma 70-200 2.8 ace, 50 mm 1.4 but there is a is same coming out,
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2015, 08:33 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Curtis View Post
Hi! So I am working on switching over from my Canon XH-A1's over to DSLR and have purchased a Canon 6D. I primarily film weddings. I have 50mm and 75-300mm lenses that came with it, but looking for recommendations on the best all around lens for wedding shooting. I was about to pull the trigger on the EF 24-105mm F/4, but also read the EF 24-70mm F/2.8 might be a good choice.
Hi Rebecca, this response is going to be a bit unhelpful, but anyway... Kneejerk thought is -- don't buy anything. What you've got is fine! But it's true that you're missing out at the wider focal end...

Second thought is -- there's plusses and minuses to 24-105 and 24-70. Neither is better than the other, so there's no definitive right choice. 24-105 is f/4, so can be tricky to use at reception, but then you can always add lighting, and plenty of people shoot weddings with that lens and nothing else. 24-105 is a brilliant focal range, it's got IS, and you can also get really close to objects, though it's not a macro. 24-70 is sharper, and better in low light, and plenty of people, including photographers, go to weddings armed with just a 24-70 and 70-200.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2015, 11:16 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I shot primiarily weddings. I uses 3 x 6Ds. Two of them using the stock 24-105mm F4L lens. One 6D with 17-40mm F4L on slider and glidecam. 6D has good low light capability. F4.0 Lens uses to be slow. It works well with 6D.

Here's a wedding I did with 3 6Ds

Old June 13th, 2015, 05:18 AM   #5
New Boot

Hey Rebecca,

I bought my 6D to shoot weddings in October 2014, and have loved working with it so far. At about half the cost of the 5D III, it's a great option to either purchase and cheaper main camera, or buy 2 for the same price as the 5D III. I have a 70D as my B Camera at the moment, but would love to upgrade soon as I typically shoot 3 cameras at ceremony, and 2 for speeches.

For lenses, I mainly use the Canon 50 1.4 Tamron 24-70 2.8, Canon 70-200 2.8. These are a great combo and really flexible throughout the day. Tamron's 24-70 is great and the added IS is perfect for run and gun work!

You can check out my latest film to see samples if you like. Keep in mind this is only my 4th ever films.

Mitch Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 08:43 PM   #6
New Boot

Thank you! Love that video Mitch! Definitely have a lot to learn...my old camera had amazing auto focus, and this is just the opposite. I am definitely overwhelmed at the thought of dealing with focus nonstop.
Rebecca Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 12:43 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I agree with Steve the Tamron 24-70 2.8 is brilliant for the camera, I also use the 24-105 f4. However I can't speak for the 6D but my 5D3 is sat gathering dust as I had a lot of focussing issues with it and ditched it in favour of the Sony A7s - Lack of focus peaking and zoom assist meant I struggled on lots of wedding shoots with soft shots - hats off to those of you who nail it but I struggled - The A7s however is a breeze to stay in focus with manual lenses - maybe if focus is worrying you then have a play with a Sony before making a decision.

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques