So fed up with DVD - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 16th, 2015, 06:11 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: So fed up with DVD

I just render my timeline out to MPEG2 with a variable bit rate of 6000 kbps and then author the disk in DVD Lab .. the content even on a big screen seems pretty good to me and brides as far back as my feeble mind will go have never complained about IQ

I always supply a dual disk set ..It looks better value for money and only costs a little extra and that means I don't ever need to worry about disk space !! 2 x DVD-R's are a lot more compatible on domestic machines than a Dual Layer disk .. there is very little extra work adding a second DVD ..I do one for the prep/ceremony/photoshoot and the other is the reception
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 07:10 PM   #17
Inner Circle

The method of encoding is at the root of your problem.

VBR (Variable Bit Rate) is the best encoding method because it varies the bit rate based on the amount of motion in the video. Increasing the bit rate only where it needs it. But for that very reason the final size can only be estimated.

So if you use CBR (Constant Bit Rate) you'll know for sure the final size but it will not be as smart about the allocation of the bit rate. In some applications CBR does just fine.

So your choices are either use a conservative VBR or CBR.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 11:37 PM   #18
Inner Circle

My workflow is a little different. It is also not for everybody.

I encoded each video into 4 different files in 4 different nitrates. During authoring, I manual pick the file that fit the disk. For example, the highlights chapter is the most watched chapter, I will pick the encoded file in high bitrate for higher quality. For a catholic ceremony, it will not be watched as often. Then I picked a lower bitrate to preserve disk space.

I use a separate computer for encoding so it wont hog up my main editing station.

I wrote the workflow in my blog

Adobe Premiere Pro and Encore Outputing DVD and BluRay Workflow | L.A. Color Pros Blog
Old June 17th, 2015, 03:28 AM   #19
Major Player

SOunds like a good method Taky especially since you have a separate machine for it. Do you somehow batch those renders, rather than set up and start 4 different renders for each video?
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 07:39 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive McLaughlin View Post
I assume that with TMPGenc you can only do one file at a time so I will still have to do some maths on my own. I have three projects and so three rendered files to fit on disc (Feature, Highlights and Speeches) .

Thanks for the rule of thumb Jeff! I'll still have to calculate for three lengths then add them up and recalculate as necessary.

Wish I could just somehow queue my three renders and click 'fit on disc ' or something! Wishful thinking.

But admittedly maybe just laziness!
Hi Clive,

Maybe I misunderstood your reply, but the calculation is simple - just add up the TOTAL minutes of video of all segments to be put on the DVD, and do the calculation once, as if working with a single video clip. Apply that same bitrate to all segments that you encode.

Thanks
Old June 17th, 2015, 08:15 AM   #21
Major Player

You are of course correct Jeff, and I'm feeling somewhat embarrassed!
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 02:11 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive McLaughlin View Post
SOunds like a good method Taky especially since you have a separate machine for it. Do you somehow batch those renders, rather than set up and start 4 different renders for each video?
I use Procoder for MPEG-2 DVD and Adobe Media Encoder for H.264 BluRay. Both of them has queue function. So I just queue them up and let it do the work while I'm sleeping :)
Old June 19th, 2015, 03:52 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Taky Procoder interests me - does it produce superior quality MPEG-2 than Adobe Media Encoder?
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 10:06 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Yes it does. You ever wonder why Hollywood DVD doesn't suck so bad? The encoder mades a difference.

I use Peocoder Masters Quality preset. It takes longer time to emcode. But the output isn't bad. I can get 3hours footage fit to a single layer DVD using 3mbps.
Old June 20th, 2015, 08:10 PM   #25
Regular Crew

I use Adobe Encore and send the final stage to an ISO image. I know it's a diffferent setup but it may help other readers. I recently created a DVD that ended up 5.4gig in size. it was straight footage and a couple of titles and a menu. I was wondering how i was going to get around this then i remembered a program i had seen before....DVD Shrink. It is used to make "backups" of purchased disks. anyway, i downloaded it (free software) and told it go get my ISO file and wring it's neck, and so it did, under 4.7 gig, i was then, GIG-gling and burnt my customers DVDs.

Hope it helps someone out there.
Old June 21st, 2015, 12:56 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
I use Procoder
Is procoder not a discontinued product?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2015, 08:06 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
I know by the length of a video it it will fit on a single layer disc. If it's about 1.5 hours it will fit at standard rates. I never reduce quality to make it fit unless it's very close. If it doesn't fit I use a dual layer disc. Not that complicated, IMO.

If you have left over space at standard bit rate there is no reason to increase it, there is no real noticeable increase in quality, leave it alone.

IMO you are complicating things.

If you're not using dual layer discs, then you should have a supply for when you need them. If the video doesn't fit on a single layer in DVDA, you simply change the project properties in DVDA to 8.5gb and use the DL disc and you're done.
Hey Jeff,

Do you use printable dual layer DVDs?
Old June 21st, 2015, 10:14 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary A. Smith View Post
IDVD Shrink. It is used to make "backups" of purchased disks. anyway, i downloaded it (free software) and told it go get my ISO file and wring it's neck, and so it did, under 4.7 gig, i was then, GIG-gling and burnt my customers DVDs.

Hope it helps someone out there.
DVD Shrink will just transpose your footage to fit the disk. You will have another generation of image lost. Its even worst, DVD shrink focus on fast transposing , not quality. Should encode at the beginning to fit the disc instead of another level of transcoding
Old June 21st, 2015, 10:52 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Yes Steven, HP or Ridata, both work very well for me, I buy from Amazon.
Old June 21st, 2015, 12:04 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Hey Jeff Pulera.. how are you? Are you the same Jeff in the Matrox forum? That must be you :)

I am using and selling Falcon Watershed Glossy DVDs. They are top quality. The watersheld surface print out difference is day and night

Falcon 4.7GB 16X DVD Smart Guard White Inkjet Glossy Water Resistant (50 Pack) | L.A. Color Pros)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques