slippery dancefloor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 3rd, 2015, 01:42 PM   #1
Inner Circle

slippery dancefloor

Check out below video, I cannot embed it here and I don't have a youtube link either, I came across this video which contains people "failing", just random stuff of people doing stupid things but look at the second video (the first one that autostarts is with annoying backgroundmusic, the second is without) and skip to 05:35 where you can see a guy during the first dance circling the couple with something like a DJI ronin but then slips on the dancefloor taking a nasty fall.

I"m not showing this so we all can have a good laugh because it gave me a bad feeling when I saw him slam to the ground and it's something you would not wish to happen to your worst enemies. It only reminded me when I was shooting the first dance a few years back and they had a spinning disco ball on the ceiling which projected these moving dots on the floor, while I was circling the couple I also almost fell to the floor because I got thrown completely out of balance by these dots, the same feeling you get when you stand in the ocean and the waves go back and forth and suddenly your brain looses any point of reference and you loose your balance.
I had to stop moving and look at the people around the dancefloor to regain my balance again. Anyone here ever had a close encounter with the floor while moving with his steadicam?

Compilatie | Fail compilatie juni 2015
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2015, 01:50 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: slippery dancefloor

Ouch - that had to hurt and I bet the gimbal wasn't exactly balanced after that.

Couple of nasty motor cycle crashes in there too!

Silly drone crash at 8:50.
Old July 5th, 2015, 03:34 AM   #3
Major Player

Noa - I saw this as well yesterday via Facebook.

Here's a YouTube of the fall - can update your post if you'd like with the link.

Terrible moment and definitely easily done - I'm sure most have nearly fallen after walking on a drink spillage - never mind whilst carrying a stabiliser...

That said, is it good for him to move as swiftly as he does, or could he have slowed down a little?
Craig McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2015, 04:08 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig McKenna View Post
That said, is it good for him to move as swiftly as he does, or could he have slowed down a little?
Yeah, that's not exactly making it easy for the codec to keep up either...
Old July 5th, 2015, 07:18 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Partington View Post
Yeah, that's not exactly making it easy for the codec to keep up either...
That's what I was thinking, but I haven't used one before, so I was just wondering!
Craig McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2015, 10:15 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:

Here's a YouTube of the fall - can update your post if you'd like with the link.

Watch the cringeworthy moment a wedding cameraman slips on a spilled drink and crashes to the floor - YouTube

Terrible moment and definitely easily done - I'm sure most have nearly fallen after walking on a drink spillage - never mind whilst carrying a stabiliser...

My biggest fear on my steadicam, I've had a few close calls, but that floor he was on looked awful slick.
Old July 5th, 2015, 01:03 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Slippery dancefloors - being deadly serious, are a real hazard in professional theatre. I'm doing a show today where we had to coke the stage. It's and old trick, but essentially you pour normal, not diet, coke onto the floor and mop it up again. It dries quickly and is sticky. Often too sticky until it gets a bit dusty - but for emergencies that's what we do. It's a great muck attractor, but needed. Ballet companies use rosin trays which are very messy, but do the same thing. Seeing people fall is quite funny, but real injuries are quite common. usually the cleaners fault, using polish!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 06:18 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I found the original article:

Sydney wedding cameraman slips over at a wedding reception during waltz | Daily Mail Online
Ian Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 06:27 AM   #9
Inner Circle

He said his camera just had some scratches but he doesn't mention anything about his stabiliser and the monitor that was mounted on top of that, when he went down I saw a piece flying away. I would be surprised if all his gear worked without a problem after that.
Old July 6th, 2015, 06:34 AM   #10
Trustee

Nice to see the Daily Fail successfully indulging their brain dead readership with pointless articles. Cameraman falls to the floor - wow hold the front page, let's write a web article on it. Either a cameraman falling over is so rare to make it news worthy or someone is desperate for stories.

Good news for any of us looking for publicity though, just film yourself falling over during a Wedding, get a news story on it, bingo - instant advertising.

Mind you, the cameraman was very conscientious. In the article, he's quoted saying that on falling, his 1st concern was for spoiling the couples First Dance. I'd admit under the same circumstance, my 1st thoughts would be more selfish and I'd be more worried about potential damage to my expensive bit of kit. :)
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 01:42 PM   #11
Trustee

Sorry going of the subject, is it me that thinks the lad even though he slips looks bloody stupid in a near empty no atmosphere room going around the bride and groom. Sometimes i think i look awful when i see my self from my second camera going around the b+g in the edit room sometimes even listening to people laugh at me. Anyone else feel stupid?
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 02:13 PM   #12
Inner Circle

I always stay at the outer edge of the dancefloor and move very slowly around so that I don't attract any attention, I also wear black trousers/shirt as that helps being invisible. The only moment I move in much closer is when the song ends because then the couple usually kiss eachother and I do a flyby with the steadicam.

A few years back when I didn't have a steadicam yet I hired a steadicam operator with a steadicam pilot, I told him during the first dance; "just do your thing" as I trusted him having seen what he had been doing the rest of the day, well...at a certain moment he started circling the couple like the guy did that fell in the video, only at a higher speed, he was actually running around them. The resulting shot looked awesome as he managed to keep the couples head in the center of the frame but as I was standing on the side of the dancefloor shooting from a tripod I saw him running and he looked like an idiot drawing all the attention towards him, the photog was also on red bull or something and he was glued against the couple. I felt ashamed when I saw him running and I tried to signal him to stop what he was doing but he was in "the zone" at that moment trying to get that killer shot for me. :)
Old July 6th, 2015, 02:28 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:

Watch the cringeworthy moment a wedding cameraman slips on a spilled drink and crashes to the floor - YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I always stay at the outer edge of the dancefloor and move very slowly around so that I don't attract any attention, I also wear black trousers/shirt as that helps being invisible. The only moment I move in much closer is when the song ends because then the couple usually kiss eachother and I do a flyby with the steadicam.

A few years back when I didn't have a steadicam yet I hired a steadicam operator with a steadicam pilot, I told him during the first dance; "just do your thing" as I trusted him having seen what he had been doing the rest of the day, well...at a certain moment he started circling the couple like the guy did that fell in the video, only at a higher speed, he was actually running around them. The resulting shot looked awesome as he managed to keep the couples head in the center of the frame but as I was standing on the side of the dancefloor shooting from a tripod I saw him running and he looked like an idiot drawing all the attention towards him, the photog was also on red bull or something and he was glued against the couple. I felt ashamed when I saw him running and I tried to signal him to stop what he was doing but he was in "the zone" at that moment trying to get that killer shot for me. :)
I've pulled back on so much spinning. I may do it once during the slow dance, but mostly I just steadicam back in forth in a circle, sometimes with the couple, sometimes opposite of their spin. Depends on the music and if they are going to dance to the whole song or not.
Old July 6th, 2015, 04:29 PM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bleasdale View Post
Sorry going of the subject, is it me that thinks the lad even though he slips looks bloody stupid in a near empty no atmosphere room going around the bride and groom. Sometimes i think i look awful when i see my self from my second camera going around the b+g in the edit room sometimes even listening to people laugh at me. Anyone else feel stupid?
I'm with you. I stopped getting nearly so close. Last week sat back as I watched the photogs do something similar. They step forward, get the shot, then.... lower the camera, check the shot, lower the camera more... and just sort of stand there bored before wandering off eventually.

---------------

As for the guy in the YouTube video... I thought the rule of thumb was going the opposite direction of their turn?
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 06:41 PM   #15
Trustee

Apologies for the kind of obvious comment, but I reckon you don't need to move so fast if you spin in the opposite direction to the couple. Ie, contrary motion: couple spins anticlockwise, you go clockwise. Otherwise, you need to race to keep their faces in shot, or it feels like you're trying for something you can't quite pull off.

In terms of a long-version edit, with the bridal waltz in full, I doubt the couple wants to see constant high-speed spinning. I guess it's one of those things more effective in moderation -- maybe just once, during climax of song, move in closer and roundie-roundie. This also means you're peeing off photographers, guests, couple, and any other videographers less.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques