wireless walkie talkie watches or? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 8th, 2015, 03:02 PM   #1
Trustee

wireless walkie talkie watches or?

OK seems daft but i want something i can communicate with my two staff when i see things i want them to do or? Any ear piece or watches or anything that will allow me to communicate quietly to my staff.
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2015, 04:08 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: wireless walkie talkie watches or?

Motorola CP200 radios with a surveillance headset. They are very cheap to rent in the states, I'm sure you can find a rental house in your neck of the woods.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2015, 05:33 PM   #3
Trustee

In the US we have FRS radios (Family Radio Service) that go about a mile, they are $30-40/pair and you can put an earpiece on them so only you can hear. I assume the old country has something similar?
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2015, 09:03 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Whatever you get Steve, make sure you are within regulations for your particular system. There are a myarid of transceivers being sold on ebay that will transmit anywhere in the spectrum and if you pick the wrong frequency\band then you could end up in serious trouble for interference to commercial or worse, emergency services. Some people don't even know they are interfering. There are lots of low power UHF devices for sale here is AUS that transmit on the INPUT band of the Australian UHF amateur radio band. Most repeaters now have CTCSS incorperated which is a inaudible tone transmitted with your carrier to trigger the repeater. If the repeater doesn't hear the specific tone it won't trigger, so that has reduced a huge amount of interference. We used to use repeaters on the UHF CB band here and the INPUT to those repeaters are channels 31 to 38, the outputs are ch 1 to 8, anyone talking between 31 and 38 could be talking over the repeater but don't know because they can't hear the other side (ch 1 to 8) its a bit complex but happens all the time. So my advice is, if you get a public band system you are probably pretty safe, although anyone else with those radios can chime in as well UNLESS you set them up for the before mentioned tones CTCSS tones they are called. if you get anything off ebay or whatever, make sure you check the frequency band they operate on, not only causing interference but if you are on a ham radio band for examp0le you need to PASS AN EXAM and BE LICENCED to operate on those bands. We have Australian Communications Media Authority here in AUS that look after frequency spectrum allocations and the like, not sure what your equivalent is over there but chase them up and check out your VHF\UHF band plan allocations. There are power limits for the different bands as well.
Old July 8th, 2015, 10:00 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Steve

The sets that Roger has just bought for GBP49.00 work on the 2.4GHz band and they also allow you to talk back to the transmitter via an earpiece so maybe ask Roger to test that function for you???

Post is just a few down from here

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2015, 02:12 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Steve,

The wireless system that I bought would certainly do the job and could be used with your video, but as the others have mentioned, the little personal radios are ideal for what you are talking about, are legal without a licence in the UK and are as cheap as chips. The eBay company that I bought my set from also do the PRS radios at a good price, I'll see if I can find a link when I have walked the dog.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2015, 04:20 AM   #7
Inner Circle

OK Steve, found the link, if you want cheap and legal, these should do the job. The company appears to be based in China, but my wireless lav that I bought from them came the next day from Southall, West London.
NEW 4pcs Walkie Talkies UHF 400-470MHZ 5km Range 8CH PMR 2-way Radio Interphone | eBay

Roger
Old July 9th, 2015, 04:25 AM   #8
Trustee

Sorry for late reply guys, that's absolutely brilliant lads thanks for replies and thanks Roger the dodger, cheers what a help. I did see some wrist watches on here a few years back but i may be wrong but those will do it cheers brilliant.
Old July 9th, 2015, 04:35 AM   #9
Major Player

I've considered something like these but they'd hardly be suitable during a ceremony etc. sometimes my partner drifts into my frame and I have no way of communicating to her, I also considered those dog collars that emit a shock to control dogs barking, that'd move her!

:-)
Old July 9th, 2015, 04:39 AM   #10
Trustee

Roger, can you use a head set or lav mic with the linked walkies talkies, sometimes i want to be really quiet say in the ceremony and speak low, rather than hold a button down and talk. steve
Old July 9th, 2015, 04:39 AM   #11
Regular Crew

What ever walkie talkies you choose, make sure you can turn off the "roger beep"

Not legal as they are out of the box, but the Baofeng ones get very good reviews.

It is possible to retune them to PMR bands, however as I understand it they won't be 100% legal even if you do.

2PCS Baofeng BF-888S UHF 400-470 MHz Walkie Talkie Two Way Radio+Free earpiece | eBay
Daniel James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2015, 04:40 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Cantwell View Post
I've considered something like these but they'd hardly be suitable during a ceremony etc. sometimes my partner drifts into my frame and I have no way of communicating to her, I also considered those dog collars that emit a shock to control dogs barking, that'd move her!

:-)
+1 Rob, thats what i need some kind of shock to our staff system to nudge them to move haha
Old July 9th, 2015, 04:42 AM   #13
Trustee

Hey Daniel thanks they have the ear piece with them, maybe they will do?
Old July 9th, 2015, 04:52 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bleasdale View Post
Roger, can you use a head set or lav mic with the linked walkies talkies, sometimes i want to be really quiet say in the ceremony and speak low, rather than hold a button down and talk. steve
I haven't seen the real thing, only the website, but would think that they probably don't have the headphone and mic facility. There are dozens of different types that you can Google though, so you should have no difficulty finding the ones you want. I have a set with voice controlled TX that I have used for years, I think they are Binatone.

Roger
Old July 9th, 2015, 05:01 AM   #15
Trustee

cheers mate the ones Daniel says are not bad with good reviews on amazon, i just want to press a button talk quiet so partner can move or do what i want him to do say at the back of the church or venue room? steve
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques