Camera Battery Storage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 13th, 2015, 10:55 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Camera Battery Storage

I always make it a point when I get home from a wedding to remove all the batteries from my cameras and store them in a dedicated bag until I need to get them out and charge them up again. I have always thought that leaving them in the camera could result in a shorter lifespan overtime.
Does anyone know if this is the case or have a different method of storage?
Ian Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 12:28 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Camera Battery Storage

Some good info here Ian https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl...attery+storage or here
https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl...y+storage+life
Old July 13th, 2015, 08:40 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Mine come out of the camera and go straight into the charger and then back into my accessories case ..they are placed on the charging table if it's midnight and then charged in the morning . If they are in the case then I know they are charged and ready to roll.

One thing I have learnt is put cards and batteries into the camera and make sure everything is ready to roll before you leave for the wedding ...in the old days I had my MiniDV cameras and the bride made me late during bridal prep plus parking was a hassle so I just got the camera on the tripod when the music started ..without tape or batteries ...when the bride is standing at the Church door it's amazing how hard it is to put in a battery!!!

I wouldn't toss batteries into a bag ...what happens if something loose in the bag shorts out the contacts .. I prefer to store them in their own foam cutouts in my hard case and I also don't have to scramble around in a bag for loose batteries!!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 10:19 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
I wouldn't toss batteries into a bag ...what happens if something loose in the bag shorts out the contacts .. I prefer to store them in their own foam cutouts in my hard case and I also don't have to scramble around in a bag for loose batteries!!
In addition to that, I wrap a rubber-band around the battery.
A quick look at a battery with a rubber-band tells me it is fully charged
A battery without a rubber-band had been discharged

Here in the USA, at the grocery store, they use a wide rubber-band to bunch together broccoli crowns in the produce aisle. I find these the perfect size for a battery
Vince Pachiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 11:36 AM   #5
Inner Circle

My bag seems to be always at the other end of the building so i'm afraid i allocate a pocket in my pants and that's where the used ones go - i have a modified tamrac filter pouch on my belt filled with charged ones.
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 12:47 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Pachiano View Post
In addition to that, I wrap a rubber-band around the battery.
A quick look at a battery with a rubber-band tells me it is fully charged
A battery without a rubber-band had been discharged

Here in the USA, at the grocery store, they use a wide rubber-band to bunch together broccoli crowns in the produce aisle. I find these the perfect size for a battery

Great idea! Guess what's on the family dinner menu for tonight? LOL!

And I totally agree with Chris about how the difficulty of inserting cards and batteries exponentially grows as the bride gets closer to the aisle.
Ian Atkins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques