70-200mm lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 14th, 2015, 09:35 AM   #1
Inner Circle

70-200mm lens

What is the best practice using this lens? More specifically when would you use IS image stabilization. I can't see using this hand held given the focal length with a 1.6 crop (112-320). I'm assuming on a tripod IS is off? Seems like it be tricky to use considering it's size weight and focal length, having enough room between your subject
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 12:31 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: 70-200mm lens

I keep it on when it's on a tripod. Not sure if that's the proper way, but I just do it lol. But yeah, handheld on video is out of the question.
Old July 14th, 2015, 12:44 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
What is the best practice using this lens? More specifically when would you use IS image stabilization. I can't see using this hand held given the focal length with a 1.6 crop (112-320). I'm assuming on a tripod IS is off? Seems like it be tricky to use considering it's size weight and focal length, having enough room between your subject
On my assistants camera 98% of the time. Fantastic on a mono-pod all day, tripod from back of church and speeches on a tripod, rest of day mono-pod.
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 02:33 PM   #4
Trustee

Hi Pete, there's an old idea that it's better to turn IS off when you're on a tripod (or switch the stabiliser mode to mode 2 on the lens), because otherwise it fights you. Well, that's sometimes true, but let me also add -- there's potentially little shakes quite often even when you're using a tripod. It depends on everything -- how steady the floor is, how good your tripod is and whether vibrations are transferred from touching pan handle, etc.

Talking Canon lenses... I occasionally use the 135 as a lens on couple during speeches, and I often wish it had IS. Ditto with 100mm with IS off -- I notice vibrations in image, even when tripod is locked off. So my gut feeling is when you've got that 70-200 zoomed in to 100 or tighter, use IS. But do your own tests and work out for yourself. When it's set up on a tripod one day, just turn it off and see if you notice any difference.

By the way, you're quite right that minimum focal length and focus distance (about 1.5m, and there's a switch for this on lens itself) might be the main pain with this lens. If it's a really tight bridal prep or ceremony, you'll probably need something wider and with smaller minimum focal distance. For everything else, it's a great lens. It's in the kit bag of every Canon photographer in the world, and probably every Canon videographer (although Still Motion used to recommend using the 135mm instead).
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 03:29 PM   #5
Major Player

I use my 70-200 on a tripod at the reception for sure. Usually have my Nikon Coolpix A on a bracket that is shooting the dance floor wide.

General rule of thumb is, if on a tripod, VR IS OS should be off.

The exception to that is if in an environment with excessive HF or LF vibration such as a helicopter.

I know Nikon VR can compensate for those kinds of vibration via the "active" mode, as opposed to the "normal" mode. Not sure if Canon has a similar mode or not.
Old July 14th, 2015, 03:48 PM   #6
Trustee

Just keep the stabilizer on it gets rid of micro jitters from the floor and tripod
Old July 14th, 2015, 05:53 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I was going to rent it but decided to make my life easier and instead bought a 100mm to compliment my 17-55mm. That way I can have it on me at all times and swap lens if I need the extra reach. It won't have the flexibility of a zoom but some things you have try them out to see if it fits your style.

I can see what you mean depending on the floor and the activity like dancing you can get vibrations. I'll give it a try next wedding.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 03:36 AM   #8
Trustee

100 mm very good but no stabilizer so you will have to use a tripod on that one./
Old July 15th, 2015, 10:31 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bleasdale View Post
100 mm very good but no stabilizer so you will have to use a tripod on that one./
The fantastic 100mm F/2.8L 100mm Macro lens does have stabilisation.

BTW The image is fantastic but the cheap plasticky feel of the 100mm F/2.8L 100mm Macro is utter shite. It looks like a cheap copy of a Canon 'L'l lens & not the Real McCoy.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 10:37 AM   #10
Trustee

No good for video nigel? Just photos?
Old July 15th, 2015, 11:05 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
No good for video nigel? Just photos?
Steve, I am not sure wha you mean. No DSLR lens has stabilisation designed for shooting video.
Old July 16th, 2015, 02:05 AM   #12
Trustee

Sure i have the 17-55mm 2.8 and exceptional for video but of course not designed for that. I meant is the 100 mm any good for video, have you used it.
Old July 16th, 2015, 02:12 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Sure i have the 17-55mm 2.8 and exceptional for video but of course not designed for that. I meant is the 100 mm any good for video, have you used it.
We no longer have any Canon gear but we used the 100mm for video a lot. It's a lot lighter than the 70-200mm but of course less flexible as it's not a zoom. It seems that the sweet spot for bokeh is F/2.8 at 100mm which is why so much shot with the 70-200 looks so fabulous. It's a lot cheaper too. It's wonderful for macro too of course (stills or video).
Old July 16th, 2015, 03:26 AM   #14
Trustee

Great thanks Nigel i need another longish lens i will look at some to use on a second 6d. cheers Steve
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques