Hot Shoe Extender at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 19th, 2015, 05:21 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Hot Shoe Extender

Can anyone recommend a good one? I need it for my Rode Videomic and SmallHD monitor - I've gone though several cheap ones that end up spinning round or have plastic threads that strip easily. What I need is a good reliable one - preferable about 6"

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2015, 05:43 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Hot Shoe Extender

Hi Pete

I gave up on the ones with a fixture in the middle that extends each side because things kept getting in the way when I had to use the EVF of the camera. I got really tired of the mic poking into my forehead so I went under and up each side and it is brilliant !! Just a piece of 25 x 25 anodised aluminium square tube with two posts either side of the camera with a cold shoe mounted on each post ...I have a foam bicycle hand grip on each post and can use those for handheld operation too ...the extras are right out of the way too and I don't have anything in front of the camera blocking my view

I posted pics on the FZ1000 thread ...really simple to make too!!! http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...eddings-8.html

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2015, 06:05 AM   #3
Major Player

Have you seen the Rycote one? Rycote. Easy Hood do them in different lengths, Amazon sell them. I have one Rycote and one Easy Hood, I would say they come from the same factory.

Dave
Dave Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2015, 06:31 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Are you not better of with something like this?

Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2015, 06:57 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Cheers guys - the Rycote one looks the business, all metal parts so no plastic to strip. Nice idea Chris but I need my right hand on the camera grip - I did use a PNC cage for my 5D for a while but the grip got in my way, plus I'm trying to strip it back as much as possible - in fact this setup is only for ceremony and speeches.

Pete
Old July 19th, 2015, 07:07 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Ah OK Pete! My A-Cam (ceremony and speeches) also has no side grips but I also don't have a shotgun on it ... My shotgun has it's own transmitter and sits on a stand close to the ceremony as being back on the camera it will just get ambient sound!

It you are going for stuff up on the hotshoe then yes, the Rycote is the best there ..I thought about a cage but it was an overkill ..looks pro though!!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2015, 07:24 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I have to admit my PNC cage did look the business but I always have one hand on the grip and the other on the lens so the side handles are pretty much redundant - now it's just me and the A7s. I use a tripod/shotgun/monitor for ceremony and speeches and a monopod for first dance/bride prep but for the rest of the day it's hand held - for that I use a stubby Nikon mic which works well - well it did until I took a tumble last week and bashed the plug - now one side is intermittent - I sure hope it's not the socket :(

Here it is - it doesn't stick out at the back like the Rode so can just put on on the main shoe mount

Nikon ME-1 Stereo Microphone: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

Pete
Old July 20th, 2015, 01:52 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
Cheers guys - the Rycote one looks the business, all metal parts so no plastic to strip.
Pete
Hi Peter, I have one for sale, as new condition. £15 inc p&p
Old July 24th, 2015, 06:37 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Colin what length is it?

Cheers

Pete
Old July 26th, 2015, 02:19 PM   #10
Major Player

Sorry for late reply Pete. I sold it to a local guy a couple of days after I posted

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques