Wow - bad tog at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 9th, 2015, 06:48 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Wow - bad tog

Just had a call from a local friend videographer who was filming a wedding yesterday when the tog turned up and said to him 'I'm the photographer today - you keep out of my way'

It went from bad to worse as his wife deliberately (one of the staff saw) sought out his locked off camera and stood in front of it, and then during the first dance the tog (a big bruising guy with apparently over 100 awards and an MBE for his work) grabbed the camera of the video guy's assistant and tried to turn off the light saying 'turn that off!'

His name is on my list

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2015, 07:11 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Wow - bad tog

I suggest that we create ONE thread for whining about photographers and leave it at that, rather than see a new, familiar whiny thread every week.

Peter, why would you bring a negative, secondhand story about a friend's bad day here? What's the point? Who is this helping? I'm just curious. Is this just a way of beginning a bitch session?

I have friends to talk with when I have a bad day, maybe I'm just lucky?

I understand that bad stuff happens, but I would really hate to see this forum turn into a long bitch session about everyday things that people need to learn to deal with rather than whine like spoilt children when things don't go their way. Or is it already turning into that?

I AM ABSOLUTLEY SICK OF PHOTOGRPAHER STORIES. I HAVE BEEN SICK OF THEM FOR YEARS.

I see none of this as helpful, it's just sensationalistic and negative.

Whine, bitch, complain cry. "The bad photog ruined my day". I'm going to go tell on him and make as many people listen to my tale of woe as will listen.
Old August 9th, 2015, 07:17 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I've had many a moody tog but never on that level - I'm just interested in the thoughts of the good folk on this forum on how they would handle a drastic situation like that.

I had a wedding yesterday that was difficult for lots of reasons but I won't mention them here - the young lady photographer however was a dream - OK for balance? ;)
Old August 9th, 2015, 07:55 AM   #4
Inner Circle

So your intention is to relay this information to your friend to help him, or is this so you can know what to do in the event it happens to you?

My suggestion is that anyone who is being pushed around by anyone act like a man and stand up for themselves, rather than play the rold of victim and cry about it later.

That seems to be what happens. Many just wimp out and then cry about it later, on here. They run here like they're telling mommy.

So, stand up for yourselves and don't take anything off anyone, and be polite but firm.
Old August 9th, 2015, 01:28 PM   #5
Trustee

Hey I had three weddings one Greece two Liverpool the day after. Tired but know my job. Pete you have a right to let of steam! I have had a torrid time and sick of togs.
Hey jeff give some slack!! Sounds like your always slaming everyone. Stay cool man
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2015, 02:06 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Stories about nightmare photographers come with the job of videographer and I 'm sure photography forums have the same sort of threads about videographers.

Jeff, I hate to say this, but if you are fed up with threads about bad photographers, why not just ignore them rather than adding nothing to the thread? Others might quite enjoy them if they relate to their own experiences.

As Steve said 'Chill out man' life is too short.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2015, 02:53 PM   #7
Major Player

I agree with Jeff in that this isn't a story about a photographer someone here dealt with. This is a second-hand FOAF (Friend of a friend) story, sorta like the game whisper down the lane as a kid. It's very possible the videog did something to trigger such reaction, and somewhere on a photographers message board there's a thread about a 'nightmare videoagrapher'.

I had a photographer tell me he liked working with me, as the week before he was shooting a wedding and spent time organizing and posing the bridal party, getting them aligned, then when he walked back to shoot the video guy(who gave no assistance) plopped his camera front & center to get his shot. Seriously?!

There's two sides to every story is all I'm saying.

Last edited by David Barnett; August 9th, 2015 at 05:21 PM.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2015, 03:43 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I'd suggest if a "pro" showed up with that attitude my response would be simple and straightforward - I too have been paid to do a job, I am the videographer, and we'd best work together or I'll let the bride know you are in MY f'n way so her video won't be up to par... Shall we work together, then? You do your job, I'll do mine!

If any funny business happened after that, I'd inform someone in direct line to the bride post haste, and let the chips fall where they might.

I make a point to intro myself to the photog right away, treat them professionally, and most times we become an instant "team" when not doing the combined photo and video, where we're already a "team"!

I've seen one fellow ages ago at a bridal fair, all fancied up in a tux (for a bridal show?)... his head was so huge and he had lots of "awards", I can't imagine who would want him in the room, but I'm sure some brides were impressed, and I'm sure he charged extra for the inflated ego, he seemed to be of the "B&W is SOOOOOO impressive" school of photography (I don't recall ANY color shots in his booth, strangely), sorry, he wasn't "all that", awards or no...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2015, 09:13 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I do my best to work in well with the photog but yes, you do still get the arrogant ones who have decided that the video guy is an unnecessary evil and shouldn't be there ... after all this is HIS wedding not the bride's wedding so he is running the show and everyone else better do as he says!!

This simply re-inforces my decision to push my photo/video packages to the front and have video only packages as an optional extra. I might not get as many bookings for dual packages but at least I'm working with a decent photographer ... it does drop the stress levels down to zero and makes for a happy day!!

For me this was the best decision we ever made and the days of nasty photogs is a distant memory!! It really is a simple and intelligent solution!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2015, 09:13 PM   #10
Regular Crew

That's absolutely rude and terrible. SMH. How unprofessional of him.
Old August 10th, 2015, 12:43 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
I have friends to talk with when I have a bad day, maybe I'm just lucky?
So whining and bitching to your friends is something totally different from sharing it online with others that might have to put up with the same problems?

I have had a photographer deliberately blocking one of my fixed camera's, When I was editing I saw him stand right in front of the camera, turn his head around and see him looking directly into the lens, but just remain in his position. Stuff like that can happen though it's very rare I have to work with photogs that do it on purpose but if it happens so be it, I"ll show that particular viewpoint from that camera to the couple afterwards when it meant me loosing an important shot, I know it won't change anything but at least they know why I might have lost an important camera angle.

If a photog would greet me in the morning with "stay out of my way" I seriously would start laughing and tell him to stay out of my way as well. :) That would probably escalate but that would be my intention, we are all grown ups and professionals and we need to act like one.

And a photographer deliberately taking my camera to switch off a light would be resolved very quickly, I would just warn him and if he doesn't care I"d deliberately look him up the rest of the evening shining the light in his eyes. :)

I once was circling the dancefloor during the first dance with my steadicam, I keep moving around because I don't want to block the guests view too long but suddenly I feel a hand in my side and someone blocks me, when I look around I see one of the guests shooting the first dance with his smartphone and he doesn't want me to walk in front of his camera :D So I walk passed him anyway forcing his hand out of the way while shouting "don't touch me" and then I walk in front of him 2 more times just to show him that I own that spot at that moment. I hear him curse behind me but he didn't touch me anymore. Sometimes you have to stand up for yourself like Jeff said, otherwise some people with a strong personality or ones that are dominant will walk right over you.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2015, 01:14 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post

For me this was the best decision we ever made and the days of nasty photogs is a distant memory!! It really is a simple and intelligent solution!
Not sure how it is in Australia, but over here I'd say only 5% of Photographers cause me grief, just 5%. To take on Photography to avoid that 5% is neither simple nor intelligent. I've suffered from bad vicars, registrars, DJ's, Wedding co-ordinators - should I add these services to my business to give myself an easier day. Maybe take over the running of the entire Wedding to assure my video goes without a hitch. Well of course not. That would be silly.

Working with other people is a part of the job and yes some behave like total dicks, its unfortunate, but you move on and hope you have better luck next time. The couple hired the Photographer and as long as you're covered for missed shots in your contract due to this interference, then swallow your pride over the video not being as good as you hoped and move on.

On the other end of the scale, I've become friends with Photographers I have worked with, some even recommend me to couples leading to further business. So getting on well with a Photographer is therefore a good marketing move. Plus the different styles can add variety to my video, some more for formal shots, others more for something fun and lively. It's quite reassuring as it was yesterday, leaving the Photographers to handle the formal and boring photo shoot whilst I had fun grabbing lots of cool video shots with my gear.

To be honest looking back, I've had way more pleasant experiences than bad ones, and even most of those were minor inconveniences when it came to the edit, though felt like life and death on the day.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2015, 01:46 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Thanks guys - I posted this not as another tog rant as I nearly always get along with photographers and have made a couple of friends because of it along the way. In fact I get a good few bookings every year as a result of photographer referrals :)

The reason I posted was to get your thoughts on the situation where he actually tried to westle the camera from the girl's hands to turn the light off - this guy is like a huge hulk (I've looked him up) and the lady concerned I actually know is like just over 5"!

The other reason is that it turns out he is relatively local to me and I'm amazed our paths have not crossed but I'm sure will one day :/
Old August 10th, 2015, 02:41 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Hey Steve

With me it's also a very small number but why should they behave like that? I don't dictate to photogs so I feel they shouldn't dictate to me. Simple as that ... I might even do a season with no issues at all!

However I just got tired of having to sit on my backside while the photog hogs the bridal party and then after an hour tells me "We are running out of time so you can't do your stedicam shoot" ..wasted time and wasted effort ... I enjoy doing the still side anyway and it keeps me busy and I have fun too!

If I want to add lighting in a dark venue then also I don't have to put up with "your lighting is ruining the mood of our shots" ...Dunno why they want 500 exposures of people doing speeches anyway???

I do get on with 99% of photogs though and only have had a tiny proportion that have been absolute assholes but I guess there are always a few who spoil it for the rest!!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2015, 03:23 AM   #15
Inner Circle

I always introduce myself to photographers and tell them that I don't need to pose anything and if I happen to be where they want to go, just let me know. In practice they are usually very pleased that I have been so nice to them and go out of their way to work with me. Occasionally there are arrogant ones who think they own the wedding, but usually if they walk in front it's because I keep a low profile and they just don't notice me.

Like Chris, I offer the joint photo/video package, not because it frees me from photographers, but because it is a sensible business option if you have the skills and interest in both. What I enjoy about doing both, is that I can get exactly the shots I want when I want and I don't have to work around someone who has their own ideas and time scales. More interestingly though, I find that there is a totally different relationship with the families. I have a lot more fun with them, they enjoy the banter with me and they are much more friendly and conversational in between. A joint shoot is more work, but far less stressful and I don't have to make any allowance at all for photographers:-).

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques