Optimum length for a Wedding Video - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 19th, 2015, 12:52 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: Optimum length for a Wedding Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Rob

What exactly do you leave out of your 20 minute version?? I find I can make a very watchable 10 minute movie for all her friends to watch, then for them around 60 minutes for the documentary style one.

For me a 20 minute film seems a little pointless ... friends might find it a bit long to watch and if you make a shortened ceremony and leave out the bulk of the speeches for probably have around 15 minutes so adding a shortened ceremony brings it back to a 20 minute movie..
The 20 minute isn't really for their friends, its for them and maybe their family and besties. I sell it as 'this is the one you'll watch over and over on your anniversary.' The 5'er is for sharing on Facebook.

The idea for me is that this combo of 3 videos covers all potential desires. I don't think most ever watch the entire ceremony, but that they *think* they want it...sometimes *just in case.*

-----------

David, I found that this combo is the least amount of extra work. The 5 minute short form gets all the attention, so I'm making that no matter what. They all *think* they want the entire ceremony. Or at least they like knowing its there. As I chop down the full length, I do more than one pass. Each time trimming away more and more. Its a natural effect that I end up with something that works as my 15-20 minute wedding film on my way to having a 5 minute short form I like.

If you're really curious, I posted a 15 minute film in the work samples, in my thread on top.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 01:31 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Benda View Post
I don't think most ever watch the entire ceremony, but that they *think* they want it...sometimes *just in case.*
I get that feeling too. It's a bit like holiday snaps and video, you take loads not wanting to miss a thing, then when it comes to looking back say 5 years later, you only gaze at a handful. Longer edits are really for the couple to experience their Wedding soon after. Some I think face almost withdrawal or Wedding blues as one Bride described it to me. Watching the video helps them to relive their day and that's fine. However most long videos won't see the light of day again. I've done some bum numbing 2 hours 40 minute videos. When will a couple leading busy lives ever find the time to sit down and watch that beast of a video again. If they do, how much will they fast forward to get to the decent bits.

Those couples who give more thought to video have said the same thing, that it'll be my shorter 30 minute video they expect to watch the most in the years to come; I've heard similar sentiments from couples I have met again at other Weddings. Its the 30 minute video they watch at the anniversary or the short Highlights video. Hearing that makes me feel I'm spending a lot of time working on a video that'll be watched once and then sit on a shelf. Seems silly that the videos watched the most get the least attention from me.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 04:09 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I always do a full length and a 3-4 minute highlight.

The full length usually has ceremony/speeches/games/entrances in real time, with a bit of fat trimmed and everything else (prep, dancing, photoshoots etc..) is all montaged.

Ceremony and speeches are the biggest variables in terms of final length. I had one end up at 39 minutes total, and a few that were almost 3 hours. Same template.
Steven Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 04:20 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Shea View Post
I always do a full length and a 3-4 minute highlight.
Just checking around which do you edit first, the highlights or the full length?
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 05:40 PM   #20
Inner Circle

I always do my highlight last ..it's so much easier that way around as you have already been through the entire day and edited everything so you pretty much know in your head what you need to include in your highlight before you even start making it!

Surely that's the logical way to approach it ..that way you can almost assemble it in your head which makes doing the highlight a lot quicker for me anyway.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 08:21 PM   #21
Major Player

Thanks Chris, highlights are sorta new to me as I did them on occasion in the past, and then also for my promotional material, but this year included them with all packages but the intent of getting them out first & quick sorta backfiring timewise. I think the reverse is better I agree.
Old August 19th, 2015, 08:25 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Barnett View Post
Just checking around which do you edit first, the highlights or the full length?
I tried both ways. Originally, I'd do the highlights first but I've since switched and I find it much easier to do the highlights second.

By then, you've always watched through the footage, heard the speeches/vows, and alot of the good bits from the prep/photos/dancing are all layed out, so it's easy to pluck for your highlight.
Steven Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 09:10 PM   #23
Major Player

My problem with doing highlights first is, I lose motivation to do anything after that.
Old August 19th, 2015, 09:38 PM   #24
Major Player

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Do you all send either one out first. TBH I think the couple expects a 60 minute exciting 'highlight reel' and is a bit let down in seeing the longer doc form edit. If I sent them at or around the same time it would probably not build up anticipation.
Old August 19th, 2015, 09:47 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Hi David

I get my edits out pretty quick as I'm not a part-timer. For me, if I had to specify something like a 6 week delivery time I would also make a trailer .. 2 minutes max (or at most one song length) as a appetite teaser to keep the bride happy. My high lights are essentially "Your whole day in 10 minutes" but a trailer would just be some special bits to keep her happy. I deliver in 7 days so feel a trailer/teaser isn't required but I do use my high lights for "advertising"

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques