Cheap monopod at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 29th, 2015, 08:06 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Cheap monopod

I've only worked with tripods but having the ability to bounce around quickly for certain parts of the day would be nice. However, before going with one of the big boys, I was wondering would a cheap monopod without a head, like one of those ones from walmart or best buy, still be beneficial?
Joe Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2015, 08:58 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Cheap monopod

I wouldn't go cheap. You want something stable and fluid. I've used a cheap Best Buy brand one and it was so herky jerky lol.

You have

Benro A48TBS4: $199
Benro A38TBS2: $139
Manfrotto XPRO: $249
Manfrotto 560B-1: $169
Manfrotto 562B-1: $219

I haven't used the Benro ones, but I have seen people put in good words for them. I have the Manfrotto 561BHDV-1, but I guess it's not being made yet. Never had any issues with it outside of needing to put some wd-40 on the ball every blue moon.
Old August 29th, 2015, 09:41 AM   #3
Major Player

I own both the Manfrotto 561BHDV-1and the Benro A48TBS4. The bottom section of the Benro fell off during a wedding only a few months after purchase. It made the rest of that shoot very difficult because we were depending on having two monopods. I later called them up and they described to me how to put it back on. At the next wedding the same thing happened so we were again down one monopod.

I've had my Manfrotto for almost 5 years and it still works just the same as when I bought it. I'm sure there are people who have had good experiences with Benro products, but I'm not one of them :)
Michael Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2015, 09:41 AM   #4
Major Player

I happen to have just listed a great Manfrotto monopod for sale. Comes with 3/8 and 1/4-20 thread. It will grow with you, especially once you've added a fluid tilt head.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00SLO4IJQ

(I hope it's okay to post my listing here, if not, admins will nix it).
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2015, 10:14 AM   #5
Major Player

Check out the Sirui.

Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2015, 03:38 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Another vote for the Sirui, though I prefer the older models with the fluid base over the current offerings that rotate in the top section.

I still have the Bogen 560B-1 for those times when I want to travel lighter/compact... good "small camera" support. The 3xx and 4xx series Sirui's are very TALL, and although they are carbon fiber, they still are not super light - light for their size, but still substantial). The feet are much longer than the Bogen ones, and so they are more stable when "set", and I've had OK luck with "flying" them in a stedicam-like move.

I also have a selection of "cheap" monopods, the one thing that is very common with inexpensive options is the FLEX when extended - it's difficult enough to not "wobble" with a single leg, but if that leg is flopping like a noodle... OK, maybe not THAT bad, but you get the picture... I can use the lightweight ones with a belt pocket (or regular pocket), but NOT fully extended. I've got one nice stout one I picked up for next to nothing on ebay, and it's actually OK extended, but all the other "cheap" ones, are exactly that... handy for casual use maybe, but that's about it.

The Bogens are nice, but the Sirui's can very nearly replace a tripod depending on your shooting style. Expensive, but $$ well spent IMO.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2015, 06:48 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I have both the Neotec

Amazon.com : Manfrotto 685B Neotec Monopod Deluxe with Safety Lock (Black) : Camera Accessories : Camera & Photo

and the manfrotto 561-BHDV. To be honest although I like the stability of the 561 you cannot beat the Neotec for quickly adjusting height in a hurry with it's pistol grip - now if I could put the foot of the 561 onto the Neotec - heaven :)
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2015, 07:06 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
I have both the Neotec

Amazon.com : Manfrotto 685B Neotec Monopod Deluxe with Safety Lock (Black) : Camera Accessories : Camera & Photo

and the manfrotto 561-BHDV. To be honest although I like the stability of the 561 you cannot beat the Neotec for quickly adjusting height in a hurry with it's pistol grip - now if I could put the foot of the 561 onto the Neotec - heaven :)
Everybody who has used both says the same thing. I am surprised that Manfrotto haven't got the message yet.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques